if i make a start . then there has to be an end right ?!

24 years old 3 kids . bipolar. physical disability. second child with additional needs and £15k of debt (£12k + interest if i can get approved for a loan and consolidate)

i always thought id leave school go to college , travel. go to uni . get married . buy a house . have kids. raise the babies. then one day retire.

but life had a different plan,

here i am , 24 , 3 kids too two different dads. living in a 2 bed council flat with my partner 3 kids and a cat.
i only have to look at my children to realise why ive never given up. at times when my mental health got too much.
i have big dreams.
but first i need to get my debt paid off , enjoy making memories with my kids .. then i can look at the next stage of my life ,
my youngest is 11 weeks old tomorrow.
that has flown by,

anyway this is my little diary on loving life and paying off the dreaded debt
June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046

Comments

• motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi mumof3

Welcome and good luck on your journey to debt freedom. Keep posting on your progress and any little setbacks. ( hopefully there won't be any) it really helps to keep you on track when you have a diary.

I hope your dreams come true for you one day.
    I've subscribed and will be cheering you along
    Good luck
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,573 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Consolidating debt is generally considered not to help with debt clearing. Have you looked at other options like 0% credit cards?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    mumof3.12kindebt Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    hi thankyou for stopping by and giving support / advice.
    im going to see what options i have regarding consolidating .
    i have been listing items on ebay. so far in 24 hours ive made £6 after postage. its not much but it all helps.
    i did a food shop at a!di earlier £97 it came too and i forgot a few things,
    this needs to be looked at. i went with a list and a meal plan too !!
    i need to look at my bills account and see if i can make changes or save money anywhere.

we have had a low spend half term keeping the kids busy. havent spent a penny so far. we are going to the beech tomorrow and have budgeted for a chippy at tea time and fuel. we will take drinks and a picnic for snacks and lunch :D
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • Today I had an eye test . and had to buy locks for my windows cupboards and drawers.
    Its been an expensive day but the rest of the week should be quiet low spends.
    We need to get some balloons to help distract lo and keep him happy as we can when he has his.op on Thursday.
    I checked my credit score And its gone up slightly again this month.
    According to credit score its now 500/700

I'd still like to buy a house one day so I'm trying to keep this In mind when I have urges to spend.
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    mumof3.12kindebt Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    made £31 on ebay.

had to buy a new washing machine. which was a lot more than £31

did my first shadow shift today for my new job. absolutely loved it .
    this year for me is about trying to budget better and getting some of the debts paid off.

i have more than £12K

CAR £9288
    CATALOGUE £1610
    CREDIT CARD 4000

TOTAL £14898

WOW. i thought it was around 12k . i was way off. this needs to all be gone before youngest starts school as we will have to move by then and hope too buy rather than rent.

i will try and update at the end of every month with where we are at regarding the debt and how much we have managed to pay off

i have around 3 years 6 months left on my car it would be great to have it all cleared by then
  • Hi all.
    Havent posted for over a week so here is an updated.
    I'm frozen my credit card so it can only be used in dire emergencies. Once we have a bit in our savings it will be cut up and never ever used again
    If budget allows I'll use 500 of my savings each month towards bills etc and the rest will go straight onto the catalogue or credit card . this means even with out any overtime I will be paying off at least 90 a month. I'm obviously hoping to pay off a lot more than that.
    Found a lovely summer top / jacket thingy in a charity shop for £3 and picked up some shorts off a sale rack in a supermarket for £5 .
    I need to review my bank at the end of the month.
    I also need to update tax credits next week.

Tomorrow is hopefully going to be a bit of a chill day .
    Going to see my dad
    Finish reading my book. And start the next one
    Do my last 2 courses before work on Monday
    List 10 items on eBay
    Have an early night (unlike tonight).
  • Its supposed to say 500 of wages not savings
  • we hope to get the pool set up for the kids today.
    dad is popping here to we are going there im not sure yet,
    i have one more course to do
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

You dont say if you work or what your income is.

Have you considered a debt relief order ?

Without more information i dont know if you would qualify or not, but may be worth your while looking into it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • I work part time as a health care assistant. Minimum wage.
    I won't know what benefit help we will get until I contact them this week as I don't start till tomorrow.
    If I do a dro won't they take my car . problem is I need a car for work as we are rural and there are no buses when I start early shift or finish a late shift.
    Its about 10 miles to my place of work and I can't cycle or walk as Im physically disabled and can't walk that far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure