PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March Update: What are you growing in 2006?

Comments

• only just found this thread, i planted cauliflower, peppers, tomatoes and beetroot a few weeks ago in seed trays with clear lids from wilko. I put the whole packet in each seed tray, should i have just planted a few? The cauliflower seems to be going mad, and the beetroot isn't far behind but no sign of any tomatoes or peppers yet. I'm going to have to seperate the cauliflowers soon as they are looking very crowded, how long before i can plant them out?

I'm fortunate in that i have a large garden that has never really been used so its just a blank canvas so what else would you reccommend i plant for a beginner, I want to be able to fill my new slow cooker from the garden so saving even more money. I also hope that by getting the kids involved they will be keener to eat veggies that they have helped to grow rather than the usual frozen packs from the supermarket that they turn up there noses at.
    £2 coin savers club = £288
  • serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    The very easiest things to grow I think are:

Potatoes, first early, planted at the end of March
    Shallots, plant now
    Broad beans, anytime from now on
    Leaf beet, late March on
    Beetroot, anytime from now on
    Lettuce leaves mixed packet of seed sow every 3 weeks, from latye March on - but you'll need to keep slugs off

Runner and french beans, from mid-May
    Tomatoes, from plants, end of May
    Courgettes, from seed, sow one seed per pot somewhere warm in about late April, plant out end May. You'll only need 3/4 plants

One of the best books on vegetable growing is Joy Larkcom's 'Grow Your Own Vegetables' Costs about £9 in paperback.

On the other hand, things that are more difficult to grow are:cucumbers, cauliflowers, brussel sprouts, swede, melons. Carrots can also be tricky on heavy soil.
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
  • ooooh, why are cauliflowers difficult? i have a whole packet worth as seedlings so if you can advise me of possible problems now i will be prepared. Also slugs, any tips for keeping them away, i used to have a hosta and the slugs destroyed it, i have loads of slugs and snails in my garden.

Soil in garden is quite heavy although on the one side it is a lovely rich brown and neighbours tell us that the lady that lived here previously (about 15 years ago) used to grow vegetables on this side of the garden so i presume thats why the soil is better as its had fertilizer added? would this still be evident so many years later?
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    I have some lovely little seedlings appearing now - the moneymaker tomatoes sprung up practically overnight, and the petunias, rudbeckias and gaillardias have been opening over the last 2-3 days. Today is only a week from sowing them! No sign of the black-eyed susans yet, or the callistemons.

I still have more of these same seeds held back to do a later sowing too, as well as some other varieties. :)

I wanted to ask the experienced seed growers here: So far I've had the seed trays covered with clear plastic lids as makeshift propagators. Now the seed leaves are appearing, is it time to remove the lids?

Thanks in advance. :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • went to local garden centre yesterday and came back with 4 tomato plants, different varieties, 8 strawberry plugs, and i also planted some spring onion and raddish seeds that i bought ages ago. Can wait to get something to eat from them.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    bluemoon wrote:
    I wanted to ask the experienced seed growers here: So far I've had the seed trays covered with clear plastic lids as makeshift propagators. Now the seed leaves are appearing, is it time to remove the lids?

Thanks in advance. :)

Bluemoon, I'm not an expert, but I read that you should keep the propagator lid on til the seedlings nearly reach the top. I accidentally left mine off for a day last week and lost one seedling... it just drooped and never recovered.... :o
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Anyone successfully spawned mushrooms? Suttons have some lion's mane spawn at the moment which really appeals to me as they're supposed to taste like lobster, and I wondered how difficult it is.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Can we have an OS gardening thread (like the info for garlic). Or is there one somewhere??

I tried garlic last year and lost them all for some reason. I tried strawberries but only got 2 fruit (in hanging baskets).

But I do grow cherry tomatoes in a hanging basket with great success by only watering them and feeding them tomato feed once a week. I did buy some seeds the first year but now I use seeds out of a cherry tomato.

The neighbours stare at the basket probably wondering what sort of flower it is?
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    I fancy doing something like this.. but can only use hanging baskets too... Is there any other fruit/veg you've tried?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think it would be a great idea.

Me and OH grow chillies or various varieties and also have lots of luck with Cherry toms in baskets.

We also tried spring onions last year and fed all our reletives!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport