Tesco Mobile Price Increase

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    john22 wrote: »
    I wish we had someone who was trained in psychology to explain why people who have no desire in something have to then label others or think something is not right with them when they have that thing that they don’t want.

I wish some people had the nous to realise that this is an open discussion and as long as nothing causes offence then you should be able to say what you want.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    I wish some people had the nous to realise that this is an open discussion and as long as nothing causes offence then you should be able to say what you want.

yip its a discussion and i still wish for someone trained in psychology to explain it.

Don't know if its something to do with comparing oneself to another and trying to validate the decisions they have made in life. To somehow reinforce those decisions so they don't think they have made mistakes.
  • System
    Community Admin
    boatman wrote: »
    Would be handy, because I'd like to know why some people spend £1000's on stuff when they don't have the money.

If you don't have the money then you cant buy it unless you're totally against all form of lending which then has nothing to do with phones and more to do with your ideology with regards to money. Which then would be surprising because you live in a democratic and free market society so its concerning you don't understand.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

So you don't think that telling people that they have spent money on "pointless gimmicks" and basically making them out to be idiots for their choices is likely to cause offence?

If you are happy with the quality of the camera on your budget phone then that's great, it doesn't mean that the pictures it takes are comparable to more expensive devices. I bought my phone outright, I know exactly how much it cost and I'm completely happy with my decision. I'm sorry that is beyond your understanding.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    yip its a discussion and i still wish for someone trained in psychology to explain it.

Don't know if its something to do with comparing oneself to another and trying to validate the decisions they have made in life. To somehow reinforce those decisions so they don't think they have made mistakes.

Yeah because I forgot that buying a phone was a big life decision..... The regret one feels not spending hundreds of pounds on a similar item to what they actually bought...

I actually think its more to do with actually having a point.
  • System
    Community Admin
    Yeah because I forgot that buying a phone was a big life decision..... The regret one feels not spending hundreds of pounds on a similar item to what they actually bought...

I actually think its more to do with actually having a point.

yip and the point is you can't see why others buy something that you wouldn't buy which is sometimes called being inward thinking.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    And? Iphone is clearly an example of an expensive phone....

Which is not what you said, if you want to be argumentative at least have a foundation for your argument.

You specifically stated iPhone (twice)...
    ====
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you don't have the money then you cant buy it unless you're totally against all form of lending which then has nothing to do with phones and more to do with your ideology with regards to money. Which then would be surprising because you live in a democratic and free market society so its concerning you don't understand.
    "Greg came to his local Citizens Advice with over £3,000 in debts across six different phone contracts. Greg had bought a new phone, with a new contract every year, and had been able to do so despite outstanding debts
    on his existing contracts."
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/policy/policy-research-topics/consumer-policy-research/consumer-policy-research/falling-behind/

Can I suggest some reading material before passing comment on whether people have the money or not.

As for me, I'm fine thanks, but other are clearly not.

• System
    Community Admin
    boatman wrote: »
    "Greg came to his local Citizens Advice with over £3,000 in debts across six different phone contracts. Greg had bought a new phone, with a new contract every year, and had been able to do so despite outstanding debts
    on his existing contracts."
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/policy/policy-research-topics/consumer-policy-research/consumer-policy-research/falling-behind/

Can I suggest some reading material before passing comment on whether people have the money or not.

As for me, I'm fine thanks, but other are clearly not.

Welcome to real life were nothing is black and white and people don’t always follow your life choices or mines or anyone else’s.

Do you really think there has been a time in history when someone does not get in above their heads when it comes to money or owning others something that they can’t repay?

Stop focusing on phones and go away and figure out why some people get into debt that they can’t repay and others don’t. Then come up with a policy that is fair and allows access to loans.

By the way while doing that then figure out how business and countries get access to capital also as sometimes business go bust owing money and countries have to refinance their debt.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 December 2017 at 7:38PM
    Welcome to real life were nothing is black and white and people don’t always follow your life choices or mines or anyone else’s.

Do you really think there has been a time in history when someone does not get in above their heads when it comes to money or owning others something that they can’t repay?

Stop focusing on phones and go away and figure out why some people get into debt that they can’t repay and others don’t. Then come up with a policy that is fair and allows access to loans.

By the way while doing that then figure out how business and countries get access to capital also as sometimes business go bust owing money and countries have to refinance their debt.

Perhaps you should take the time to read what I suggested:

These systemic issues are not unique to the mobile phone sector - successful action has been taken to tackle similar problems in the water, energy and financial services markets.

In the second and final section we therefore consider whether similar steps could be taken to address these problems in the mobile phone market.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure