Cancelling Vodafone Contract does it have to be written

Comments

• 330d
    330d Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    There no way to get out of it without paying the cancelationh charges.

Some may say that you can tell vodafone your circumstances and they may be able to do something. But i cant personally see this happening as vodafone are here to make money, not friends.
  • sam1970
    sam1970 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi guys..please i need help...my VF contract was due to end on 2/7/10..I phoned two weeks earlier to ask for the PAC code..they sent it and then called me twice to offer me other deals but i refused...the third time they called they said i should give 30 days notice..I went mad at them as no one told me that in the previous calls..they said as a good will gesture they will terminate the contract on 2/7 without the notice...on the day they changed my sim to Pay as u go..the PAC code will expire on 26/7 but it is unlikely that i will use before then as i am waiting for iphone so what will happen then? will they charge me monthly rent again? looking at my VF account on line all my details have disappeared and showing as pay as u go
  • Hi,

fyi, the number for faxing your cancellation details is 08701699660, the number below wasn't recognised.
  • Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I had a PAYG (Orange) mobile for emergencies, which was kept in the car and rarely used. My young daughter kept on about a mobile, so I said have that one and I'll get a contract for it.Now you have to bear in mind that I'm a complete novice on mobiles. Haven't a clue. Looking on Vodafone, I noticed they did a better deal than Orange (50 mins a month more) so I obviously signed up for a 12 month contract. Their advert said "Just pop in the sim and your ready to go" When the sim arrived , it wouldn't work, they then imformed that I had to contact Orange and Pay £20.00 to get it unblocked.This after I'd been holding onto the V/fone switchboard for 10 mins at, I found out after, £1.53 a min, then the same with Orange. I'd had enough, I sent V/fone an e-mail and also posted a copy of the e-mail to them, imforming that I was cancelling (within the 7 day cancellation time.) They have now got in touch telling me that I should have called their number and will have to pay £90. odd. I did try to ring this cancellation number and was just holding on forever. Is this right, do they have me over a barrel. P.S. Orange a few days later matched V/fones 300 mins. Typical. Many Thanks.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Saying that you have to pay for unblocking a new sim card is rubbish.
    If you had the sim activated and used it for making calls you have to pay for this. Some numbers can be very expensive.

As a side note, make sure that you know what you are doing by giving a contract phone to a 'young' daughter. There are no any limits on the amount she can spend by calling to some expensive numbers of subscribing to some premium services.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think there's some confusion here. The OP had an old Orange PAYG handset that (unsurprisingly) is locked to Orange. They bought a SIM-only contract with Voda to use in the Orange handset. The Voda SIM isn't locked, it's the handset that's locked.
    Quickest way to resolve this was to pop down to your local market phone stall or independent phone shop where they'll probably unlock it for you for a fiver if it's an old model.
    Why throw your toys out of the pram with Voda over this issue? It's not their fault.
    Totally agree with grumbler on the risk of teens (or younger) with contract phones, too many horror stories on here!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Hi there. Thanks for the swift replies. I think we're at crossed purposes here. It was the phone that was locked not the sim. Since I'm a novice on mobiles, I thought you did what vodafone said in their advert and just pop the sim in and away you go. That was my grumble. Suddenly paying £20.00 on top for an unlock and holding on at your expense at prime rate, then after imforming them, being told you still have to pay didn't help either. What I wanted an answer for, was, are they right in charging the rest of the contract after I contacted them within the 7 days. Thanks for the advice on the daughter by the way but when I say young I mean 15 and she wanted it to text her friends and for picking up. Cheers Guys anyway.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    are they right in charging the rest of the contract after I contacted them within the 7 days.
    Normally 7 days period applies only to distance selling, but Vodafone have the same policy for shop purchases: I've changed my mind and want to return my product, what is Vodafone's returns policy?

No, they are not right in charging for the rest of the contract. They can charge you only for the services you have used.
  • Hi Grumbler, Haven't even used the card, as the phone is still locked. Since this, I've had untold people telling me that you have to get the phone unlocked. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'll have to get onto Vodafone, but I can't see me getting much joy. Cheers.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi suddenimpact,

I am sorry to hear that you have had some problems with the Vodafone SIM Only contract you recently took out for your daughter.

When a phone is locked to another service provider, we are unable to unlock them ourselves. They were correct in advising you to contact Orange to get have this arranged.

Regarding the contract, how did you arrange the seven day return? If the return was done within this cooling off period then you should not be charged for the rest of the contract.

If you drop me an email to the address on our profile page here with WRT135 FAO Heidi in the subject and a link to this thread, I will be more than happy to help to get this sorted out.

Many thanks,

Heidi
    Web Relations Team
    Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure