PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

lily pollen stains

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Unfortunately you're pretty mcuh doomed where lily pollen is concerned, unless you can get it to a dry cleaners very very very fast!
    Dye the top a dark colour to hide the stain is my best recommendation.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • If you are quick enough you can remove fresh lily pollen from clothes and carpets with sellotape - just press it on and pull off quickly.

By the way lily pollen is poisonous to cats ( don't know about dogs) so it's always better to cut off the stamens.
  • Alexl_2
    Alexl_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Can anyone suggest how to remove bright orange lilly pollen from carpet? :eek:
    Vase knowcked over so pollen got wet before I could just sweep up so looks like its stained! I've tried 1001 stain remover on one patch, any more suggestions before I do more harm than good??
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Alexl

I think you'll get lots of helpful tips from the 'Old Style' members, so I'll move your thread there.;)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Kind Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Don'tskipit
    Don'tskipit Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    If you've still got dry pollen stains try sellotape. Tear off a strip and gently dab the pollen - don't rub. It's worked for me in the past on curtains and carpet. Good luck
    :grouphug: A smile, a 'please' and a 'thank you' cost nothing

• DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Leave it for a few hours first to ensure the pollen is 'dry', else putting pressure on it will drive it in to the carpet fibres... When it is dry, use a soft brush to try to 'flick' pollen deeper in the pile up, and then use tape.

The other thing is to leave it to dry then get the vac out - do not 'brush' but hold the hoover over the stain a little at a time - so that the only force the carpet is under is the suck from the vac. Works very well with a Dyson...

A bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has well and truly !!!!!! off, but I always cut the anthers off my lilies as they open...
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Hi -worth a try...
    ***STARDROPS*** ! :):):)

Wilkos, asda etc.
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stardrops don't work on cats though. Our three (all white) take great delight in rubbing up against them. Result? Punk cats.

Best to chop out the pollen before hand unless you want tango'd cats = )
    Tim
  • nikiyoung
    nikiyoung Posts: 576 Forumite
    Ok i had pollen on my BRAND NEW CREAM CARPET but i vac-ed it and was desperately p**sed about it but i did NOTHING other than that and ITS GONE!!!!! the sun faded it YIPEEE!!
    Good luck with your stain
    Niki
    :wave:
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Hi Tim,
    Poor puss cats!:D
    I am a cat lover & would never advocate harming them but in defence of my Stardrops.....have you ever tried to vacuum a cat?!:rotfl:
    Please don't try this at home!!!:eek:
    Best wishes
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport