Plusnet price rises

Comments

• Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Switching is now 'Gaining provider led'.

This means that you contact your new provider and they handle the whole switch over process.

Do not cancel with your current provider before the switch is complete, or you may lose your number.

The exception to this is if you're are moving to/from Virgin.

PS. Don't forget to get Plusnet to refund any remaining line rental paid in advance.
    So the way to do it, would be -
    1, Receive the price increase email
    2, Find new provider & sign up
    3, Once change over has passed, contact Plusnet for any refunds on line rental paid etc
    Thanks for the info !
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Aletank wrote: »
    So the way to do it, would be -
    1, Receive the price increase email
    2, Find new provider & sign up
    3, Once change over has passed, contact Plusnet for any refunds on line rental paid etc
    Thanks for the info !

You might want to consider shopping around first and then when you get the Plusnet email you can tell them that you are considering leaving as you can get a better deal elsewhere (assuming you can).

Or perhaps you want to leave Plusnet, no matter what?
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I've been with Plusnet since May last year and have until November of this year before my 'minimum term' with them comes up for renewal.

Am toying with the idea of rejecting the price hikes and shopping around but when one coughs the rest sneeze.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Mister_G wrote: »
    You might want to consider shopping around first and then when you get the Plusnet email you can tell them that you are considering leaving as you can get a better deal elsewhere (assuming you can).

Or perhaps you want to leave Plusnet, no matter what?
    Plusnet service has been fine and I will see what they offer but with the option to shop around and some great cashback deals, I will be looking !
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've been a plusnet phone/ fibre customer for about 4 years (previously BT). For a couple of years they were brilliant, no problems with contacting customer services, no problems with tech support. They seemed to pull out all stops to keep your service going.

Then I moved. I was still in a one year contract. I could get a better deal with TalkTalk but was forced to continue with Plusnet because I was still under contract.

From the moment I moved, I had problems with maintaining connection, speeds dropping etc. Problems getting hold of customer service, then a general unwillingness to do anything about the problem. Months later an engineer came round, said I wasn't in when I was and there was no problem he could find externally. Another couple of months, another 2 engineers this time and they found the wall socket wasn't connected properly.

When all this started, I found out I had signed up for a 2 year contract. No way would I have knowingly done this as I was pretty unhappy about their unwillingness to offer a deal even slightly equivalent to the Talk Talk offer. I was intending to leave as soon as I could even before the connection problems occurred.

So I will. BUT I have just been offered a council property, but no idea of move in date just yet. Hopefully i will get a date in the next week. I haven't received the price hike email yet. Ideally I'd like to start a new deal when I move so I don't incur moving charges. So how best to handle this? Will be so glad to leave Plusnet.

I had the same problem with Sky hiding contract terms when I changed a package (not realising by doing this I was signing up to a new contract), I told them then I would leave at contract end and never use them again. And I haven't. Lets face it Sky is very expensive when you can get on demand services, Netflix for a fraction of the price or download programmes in most cases.

So another disatisfied customer who will be leaving. I might try BT if they offer a speed hike, but they are often a slow install so maybe not.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I wonder whether Plusnet have had enquiries from customers intending to leave because of price hikes, as I had a 'courtesy' call today.

The lady said she wanted to see if she could improve on my package, but I replied that I had tv with Sky and couldn't have fibre broadband.

She added that she wanted to improve on the price (a chance to tie me in for a longer period; 5 months left of 12 month term), but I mentioned that I had paid line rental, which is much cheaper than the current price, so she said she wanted to reduce the cost of my broadband.

She gave up when I pointed out that short of paying me ,it is impossible to improve on 'free'.
  • Tyler_Du
    Tyler_Du Posts: 712 Forumite
    Have any PN customers not yet had the price rise letter / email ? I haven't and I'm considering moving to BT Infinity BB, has a nice £200 reward card attached to it, and maybe Quidco or TCB (if the offers can be combined)
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have any PN customers not yet had the price rise letter / email ? I haven't and I'm considering moving to BT Infinity BB, has a nice £200 reward card attached to it, and maybe Quidco or TCB (if the offers can be combined)

Just cancel via Live Chat, I haven't had the letter/email and they let me cancel with no questions.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Had my email on 27th April -have you checked junk mail folders ?
    Also, in the past, others have found that the price rise email has only been sent to their Plusnet email addy,which may not be their "normal" email address:)
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I was still waiting for it to arrive, but when I searched for plusnet in my inbox for another reason then I noticed that I actually had received it on the 2nd.
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Not if you prepaid line rental as the rise won't affect you until renewal time, when you can leave anyway.

I just checked. It affects everyone, at the very least the call setup charge has gone from 19p to 21p. You can leave and get the line saver refunded pro-rata.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure