Anyone had their ISA transfer vanish between two banks?

Options
Hoping this gets resolved, but basically what happened is I set up an ISA account with Lloyds, requested a part transfer from HSBC; but then changed my mind on the Lloyds account (it was an investment one and after research wasn't happy with the funds they use). Lloyds said no problem, cancelled the account and said they cancelled the ISA transfer request.

To my surprise, the money (a lot of money!) was lifted from HSBC yesterday, but doesn't appear to have reached Lloyds.

HSBC are saying they sent a cheque (a cheque!?!?) and Lloyds would need to return it. Lloyds are saying that HSBC need to cancel per my request.

HSBC cannot get hold of the ISA department, but Lloyds have said they will call them for me. No news yet.

Anyone else gone through this, or know who should do what; my nerves are at their limit as at the moment, my money is missing in action!!!

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Transfers between ISAs aren't instantaneous at the best of times, but a cancellation midstream is likely to complicate matters - you'll just need to wait to let events take their course but be patient, your money won't have disappeared!

You should only deal with Lloyds on this and leave it to them to liaise with HSBC as it's the receiving party's responsibility to resolve this....
  • ian-d
    ian-d Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks eskbanker, Lloyds have certainly been the most pro-active so far. The trouble is you can never deal with the ISA transfer departments directly, just the department the product is linked to (in this case e-investments).

I've got both involved because Lloyds said they cancelled the request and HSBC said they didn't, which has brought us up to today.

As long as it is quite common for funds to disappear from one account and not appear in another instantaneous, then hopefully I don't need to worry just yet!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To my surprise, the money (a lot of money!) was lifted from HSBC yesterday, but doesn't appear to have reached Lloyds.

you have to allow for first class post, scanning, allocation to a staff member and the actual work being done.
    my nerves are at their limit as at the moment, my money is missing in action!!!
    Why are your nerves at their limit about something that is expected to happen and quite normal?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ian-d
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Why are your nerves at their limit about something that is expected to happen and quite normal?

Because the transfer shouldn't have happened at all. I was assured it was cancelled, and my e-investment account with Lloyds has been cancelled too, so there is no where for the money to go!

I've never transferred ISA money before, least of all when I changed my mind and was assured the money wouldn't move, so naturally I'm a bit concerned!
  • ian-d
    edited 26 April 2017 at 3:58PM
    Options
    Money appeared back in the account, phew. It was HSBC who sorted it, so maybe they had received the cancellation request but ignored it, so put it right straight away.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ian-d wrote: »
    HSBC are saying they sent a cheque (a cheque!?!?)

Cheques seem to be a common way for the banks to effect ISA transfers, despite us mere mortals being pushed into more and more electronic payments.

You are quite lucky - one ISA transfer I did showed up initially on my online banking as a transfer to an account in the name of a company employee. After phoning to check this employee hadn't recently left the country it was confirmed to be part of the internal process before sending a cheque to the other bank. I still don't understand the need to put the person's name on the account - something like 'ISA Transfer Acc' would make far more sense.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport