Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share my flight delay compensation?

Comments

• MrTom2009
    MrTom2009 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    richardw - I had the permission of the other passengers, I claimed for all of us to save paperwork.
    2010 Challenge
    A Best Western Short Break! C D E Flash Cleaner G H I J Koala Lucozade/Lip Balm/lipstick M N O P Q Reebox Easytone Trainers S Tea U V W X Y Z
  • rallp54
    rallp54 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    angel549 wrote: »
    YOU paid for it (very generous of you!!) so you keep the full amount of money.

IF they have all paid you back their share, then you split it between all. If you and your boyfriend paid, you two split it etc.

Yes they were all inconvenienced, but you can't complain about inconvenience when it's free, they should just be grateful, and also feel happy for you that you got some money back.

If you really feel bad, take them out for dinner as a treat. But personally, I think they're absolutely wrong to assume they will get some money for nothing on top of the free holiday. CHEEK!

I agree 100%
    It's hard to believe anyone would be SO greedy to get a free holiday and then expect cash back as well.:sad:
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    keep it, keep it, keep it.

They assumed you would share it. They are taking the mick!!!!!!
  • I don't know anything about the legal position, but, really, your 'friends' get a free holiday and want their share of the compensation as well ?

So why researched the tickets, and paid for them ?
    Who took the trouble to claim the compensation ?
    Who was inconvenienced the most ?
    Who, if anyone, is out of pocket with this farrago ?
    If anyone other than you can say yes to any of these, they can claim a share.

I'm afraid I don't think your friends are as appreciative of your kindness as they ought to be.
  • Just another point - if anyone had to buy food and drink which they wouldn't have had to if the flight had been on time, that could be fairly reimbursed.
    I don't know anything about the legal position, but, really, your 'friends' get a free holiday and want their share of the compensation as well ?

So why researched the tickets, and paid for them ?
    Who took the trouble to claim the compensation ?
    Who was inconvenienced the most ?
    Who, if anyone, is out of pocket with this farrago ?
    If anyone other than you can say yes to any of these, they can claim a share.

I'm afraid I don't think your friends are as appreciative of your kindness as they ought to be.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What on earth makes your so-called friends think that they are entitled to the money? They didn't make one penny by way of contribution towards the flight, did they? You keep all of it.

As an aside, it bothers me more than a little that you should have offered to pay for, or been coerced into paying for, others' travel costs. That's something I'd never do. Reading between the lines, your "friends" are taking full advantage of your generous nature and, if you keep going like that, they'll continue to bleed you dry for as long as they can. If that is the case, then put a stop to it now.
  • Leeward
    Leeward Posts: 9 Forumite
    First, why did your 'friends' allow you to pay for their entire holiday in the first place?
    Second, why were you daft enough to pay £2250 (£3000/4=£750x3) for their holiday anyway?
    Third, what kind of 'friend' demands a refund of money they have not paid?
    Fourth, tell the thieving bast**ds to f**k off and go find some decent friends who will pay their way and not take the p*ss out of you.

Nobody needs 'friends' like this bunch of free loaders...
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MrTom2009 wrote: »
    Hi All, it was me who had the dilemma. I'll try and answer the questions. I paid for the whole holiday, I didn't want to be paid back.

Would you care to say a little bit more about why you paid for your friends? It is fairly unusual to pay for someone else to come on holiday with you unless you are in a relationship or perhaps a close relative.

Of course, if it is something a little more like a business trip (perhaps one of the friends is brought along as a carer or interpreter) then the position is more complicated. Most of my travel is paid for as business travel, and if I personally suffered inconvenience from a flight delay and my employer then asked me to hand over the compensation, I would not be at all pleased. However, if the flight delay meant that I missed a meeting or could not deliver the work planned then it would be reasonable for the employer to receive the compensation.
  • youngroachie
    youngroachie Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2017 at 12:35PM
    I think you were very generous to gift a holiday to each of your three friends; don't know why you did it but presume you are a good friend. With regards to the flight delay compensation, why not work out everything you spent on them and deduct that from the total amount received in compensation. Then divide up whatever is left by 4 and that much smaller amount can be shared between you and your friends thereby alleviating any guilt on your part and negating any argument on their part as now each of you will have paid and recieved the same amount; don't think anyone can argue with that.
    However, if they continue to demand more compo if you offer it after deducting your original costs then you should keep the lot as they are clearly not as generous as you are and it stops being a moral dilemma!!!
  • Greveson
    Greveson Posts: 18 Forumite
    The money is compensation for a service that you paid for and didn't get. They didn't pay the service so they don't receive the compensation.

Or to put it another way, the flights were £3000, and the compensation was £1300. So the compensation was a refund of ~43%. So the fairest way is for everybody to get back ~43% of what they paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure