Who to claim from?

This is my first forum post so here gos.
My cellar has been flooded (fortunately not to seriously) due to a burst water main under the main road outside our house. UU (United Utilities) have now fixed the leak and sent some chaps and equipment round to dry out and clean the cellar (all ok so far).
A UU loss adjuster has visited to view the damage and says as well as paying out for damage they will also compensate for loss of earnings for time off work and the extra energy used for four days of pumping and then the drying and dehumidifying.
A neighbour has told me it would be better to claim damages through my home insurance and let them claim money back from UU, and just claim for my loss of earnings etc. from UU rather than claiming all losses from them, as they are (possibly) working in their own best interests, not mine. There is probably less than a thousand pounds involved. Has anyone any advice please?

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No. Don't be silly. They have admitted liability. They will compensate you more than your insurers. If you claim off of your insurers your premium will go. Your friend is an idiot.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 March 2017 at 1:09PM
    phill99 wrote: »
    No. Don't be silly. They have admitted liability. They will compensate you more than your insurers. If you claim off of your insurers your premium will go.

Agree with this, but read your insurance policy as most require you to tell them about any such incidents even if you are not going to make a claim. Once you tell them, your premium might still go up a bit (but not as much as if you made a claim). If you don't tell them and they find out then they might not pay out on any future claims.

However, I can also see what your friend is saying as UU won't have your best interests at heart, so it is not as straight forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure