Neighbouring garages flooding my Garden

I have a row of 8 garages running along one side of my garden, the entire length. The roofs lean towards my property. Garages are approx 4 inches from my boundary and at base are 2ft above my ground. The guttering runs along the rear of the garages next to my garden and water drops down via 4 down pipes. These down pipes used to point directly into my garden but with previous owners consent I installed water butts to contain some of the rain water.
I would now like to remove these butts as they will interfere with a summerhouse I have planned, and in this recent weather have turned my garden into a bog. Where do I stand regarding what I believe to be a water trespass issue?
We are talking about a huge amount of water entering my garden and it seems unfair that I should have to deal with it.
The garages are owned by multiple owners some of whom I cannot trace. They were built around 1992 when we were council tenants here, we have since bought the property.

I would insert pics but it seems there is no option to post from files.

Thanks
Si

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    The pragmatic answer would be to put in drainage and connect up the rainwater down pipes before you build your summer house. Even if you have nowhere to run the drains to, a soak away or French Drain could be constructed.
  • Noisyplanet
    Noisyplanet Posts: 10
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not really sure that would be my responsibility, it's not my water and why should I incur more expense when the owners are liable surely?
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2016 at 8:21PM
    who owns rainwater?
    Can you not just cap the downpipes off if they are in your garden.
  • The pipes are not in my garden, just pointing towards it. I have now been told by a qualified surveyor that this is a case of 'water trespass' and legally speaking it is the owners responsibility to ensure all water is suitable drained away from other properties. I guess I'll be needing a solicitor :(
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2016 at 10:26AM
    The pipes are not in my garden, just pointing towards it. I have now been told by a qualified surveyor that this is a case of 'water trespass' and legally speaking it is the owners responsibility to ensure all water is suitable drained away from other properties. I guess I'll be needing a solicitor :(
    To an extent the amounts immaterial its how it enters what other have done etc
    They can allow naturally occurring water to flow/ across land downhill onto land below but they cannot artificially channel it e.g. rainwater that falls on there land is allowed to drain to land below but you wouldn’t be allowed to channel water from a down pipe etc onto it BUT burden of proving that the defendants acted unreasonably must remain on the claimant you start getting into negligence and nuisance Add identifying owners, serving notice to all garage owners , cost of civil action and chance of winning and awarded cost etc would be cheaper to sort out drainage yourself 99% of the time.
  • teamgb
    teamgb Posts: 118
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I believe you will find that if the fall pipes have been in the same place for the last 24years that the garage owners have gained rights which you cannot change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure