Food flask for when I'm hiking

Options
Okay. I hope that you will all forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place. But the way I see it, I consider it to be part of the health and fitness forum.
I am a hiker and I am trying to find a decent food flask that does the job and doesn't cost the earth. I have had a couple of disappointments in this department and hope that some of you can let me know your experiences of those currently on the market.
Mortgage free 10 years early and retired at the age of 55:j

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 April 2017 at 6:48AM
    Options
    Okay. I hope that you will all forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place. But the way I see it, I consider it to be part of the health and fitness forum.
    I am a hiker and I am trying to find a decent food flask that does the job and doesn't cost the earth. I have had a couple of disappointments in this department and hope that some of you can let me know your experiences of those currently on the market.

That might be something that I would consider getting (but for the winter, so I have got plenty time before buying), just so I can avoid them, which products disappointed you, and why?

Is this any good?
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/food-storage-organising/efterfr%C3%A5gad-food-vacuum-flask-stainless-steel-art-40288354/?cid=gb%7Cps%7Cpla%7C%7C%7C%7C

The above flask only claims to keep food hot for 4 hours, this one is 8 hours, and is also available in larger sizes too:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-Vacuum-Insulated-Leakproof-Stainless/dp/B003SXEU0M/ref=sr_1_2/260-8559321-3080157?ie=UTF8&qid=1491630295&sr=8-2&keywords=vacuum%2Bfood%2Bflask&th=1
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • kindlefirebabe
    kindlefirebabe Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2017 at 11:16PM
    Options
    Thank you for the links. Yes, like you it's intended for winter. So plenty of time to research. But I have to admit to feeling sceptical about all food flasks having tried a couple and being disappointed at the results.
    I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a one that they have had success with.
    The most recent product was a Thermos Thermocafe Barrel food flask
    http://direct.asda.com/george/george-home/thermos-thermocafe-barrel-food-flask/001433958,default,pd.html .
    It looked great, followed the instructions about putting boiling water in it. Left it for about 15 mins, emptied hot water out and put piping hot food into it. It was edible after 4 hours but not piping hot. Also, second attempt left me quite upset as the screw thread on the flask caused the flask lid to jam solid. I couldn't get at the food and hubby tried numerous times before finally opening it. Needless to say it went back.
    We previously, years ago, had bought a couple of plastic Sainsbury's ones and they were not capable to keeping the food hot for long either.
  • rainbowfairydust
    rainbowfairydust Posts: 16,389 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have one of these and i think its brilliant. I use mine for uni lunches and put hot food in ( filling the flask with hot water before adding food to warm up the inside) around 7.30 -8am. I generally eat lunch between 12.30 -1pm . I have had it for around a year now and its never let me down ( i dont use it every day though - probably a couple of times a week)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainless-King-Food-Flask/dp/B001ET6P9Q

the one you mention above isnt great - i have a thermos mug from the same brand and i am lucky if it stays warm for 30 minutes..
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra! :j

Undergrad degree - completed 2018
    Masters degree - completed 2019
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the links. Yes, like you it's intended for winter. So plenty of time to research. But I have to admit to feeling sceptical about all food flasks having tried a couple and being disappointed at the results.
    I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a one that they have had success with.
    The most recent product was a Thermos Thermocafe Barrel food flask
    http://direct.asda.com/george/george-home/thermos-thermocafe-barrel-food-flask/001433958,default,pd.html .
    It looked great, followed the instructions about putting boiling water in it. Left it for about 15 mins, emptied hot water out and put piping hot food into it. It was edible after 4 hours but not piping hot. Also, second attempt left me quite upset as the screw thread on the flask caused the flask lid to jam solid. I couldn't get at the food and hubby tried numerous times before finally opening it. Needless to say it went back.
    We previously, years ago, had bought a couple of plastic Sainsbury's ones and they were not capable to keeping the food hot for long either.

Of the two that I linked to, I think that I would rather pay more for the one (claimed to be) capable of keeping hot for 8 hours duration, subject to checking reviews (which I haven't done yet).
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • kindlefirebabe
    Options
    Just an update to let you know that I finally bought 2 small food flasks. They are made by Stanley and I can confirm that they do keep food hot for hours. Here is the link to what I bought.
    http://www.dunelm.com/product/stanley-adventure-food-jar-1000079684
    It's the 400ml size I bought because it needed to be a flask that I would carry in my rucksack. I can confirm that they are leakproof. I bought 2 because I hike with my husband and he needed one too. The 400ml does not come with a bowl or cup. But that's fine as, being small, you can easily eat direct from this food jar. It holds a standard can of soup or beans etc. Ideal for one serving. I happily recommend these as they work and they are tough. Also Dunelm have them on offer at the moment at £14.99.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport