Hotel taking less than total amount without permission?

2»

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Actually it all depends on Greek law

Everybody seems to be discussing this as though UK contract law applied, it doesn't. It's Greek contract law, anybody know anything about that?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Actually it all depends on Greek law

Everybody seems to be discussing this as though UK contract law applied, it doesn't. It's Greek contract law, anybody know anything about that?

Or Turkish, or maybe somewhere else.
  • Looking for some advice please on related theme. I booked 2 rooms on booking.com (using my credit card to reserve the rooms) and inadvertently booked one which was a non flexible rate. I was too quick to hit the 'reserve now' button and didn't see the terms of the booking below.

I immediately realised the error when I got my confirmation email and called the hotel to request a cancellation of the room. They didn't answer. So I called booking.com who said they would call the hotel. They couldn't get answer. They told me they would email the hotel and should get a response within 48 hours. No response so on Sat I called Booking.com again. Booking.com told me they could over ride the booking if the hotel didn't respond and to call them again today if I still hadn't heard from the hotel.

Still no reply from the hotel today. So today I called Booking.com again and they are now saying they cant over ride the booking and obviously still cant get hold of the hotel.

I should also point out I rebooked the room I cancelled but on a flexible basis and am still holding 2 reservations.

What I would like to know is where I stand on this. Am I really screwed with my error and will have to pay the £600 even though the booking is for mid July next year? Appreciate my balls up but surely they have plenty of time to resell the room.

The hotel takes payment on arrival from the card used to pay for the room. Oh ad they are closed for the winter season now it seems

Thank you
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    UK consumer law is about the same as the rest of EC. http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumer_rights/index_en.htm and is inforcable from the UK.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • bigadaj wrote: »
    Contracts require a consideration but this is implicit on forming the contract, which is why you see the clause 'inconsideration of £1 which is confirmed to have been paid'.

Or they can be signed under a deed, in which case consideration isn't needed.
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Contracts don't require consideration, they can be gratuitous.

If they are "gratuitous" then they are not enforceable without a deed, except in the following sense. I promise to give you £10. Perhaps I write my promise down so evidence isn't an issue. Then I renage on my promise. You can't sue me because there was no contract because there was no consideration. But let's say I do indeed give you the £10. Once you have it, the law recogises it is now yours. So in that sense, the law recognises the transaction. (Again there are exeptions....)

Above is English law...!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

Above is English law...!

I can't comment about foreign legal systems ;)
  • [reserved for some witty response which I can't think of right now]
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 November 2017 at 12:23PM
    2 words = virtual visa

it does feel unfair when you legitimately can't make it to a destination and want to cancel a trip. But sites like booking.com offer these low price rooms for people who opt for a no-refund booking. I'm guessing some people just reserve several rooms and then cancel the ones they dont like last minute and it annoys the hotels as they have these reserved up til a week before the booking.
  • Question for the OP: how did your friend cancel a non-cancellable room booking?

Or did they simply expect the failed payment to do the trick?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure