Facing up to bankruptcy!.. need help!

Comments

• KJ2886
    KJ2886 Posts: 67
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The high court enforcement officers came today, I didnt answer and was left a letter in my post box
    It says they have called today to remove assets for public auction as I have not responded to previous correspondence
    It says removal of assets will now take place with or without your presence and where necessary an application will be made to the court under paragraph 15 schedule 12 tribunals courts and enforcement act 2007 for authority to enter your premises

So would they have to go to court to be able to enter my home?
    How long does this usually take from the stage im at now?

CCJ debt is now just over £6100 :(
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    KJ2886 wrote: »
    It says removal of assets will now take place with or without your presence and where necessary an application will be made to the court under paragraph 15 schedule 12 tribunals courts and enforcement act 2007 for authority to enter your premises

Is this even possible? I thought they were only allowed to gain "peaceful entry"?
  • KJ2886
    Forumite
    Thats what I thought! :(
    Unless when they say 'removal of assets' could mean car etc rather than in my home etc as need a court order to enter? hmm not sure
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    I "thought" the only way they could force entry is if its for a reposession on the home and they have the homeowners permission however I'm not 100% on this. Will try and look into it further ☺
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    It's probably just a threat.

paragraph 15 schedule 12 TCE says:

15 (1) If an enforcement agent applies to the court it may issue a warrant authorising him to enter specified premises to search for and take control of goods.

(2) Before issuing the warrant the court must be satisfied that all these conditions are met—

(a) an enforcement power has become exercisable;
    (b) there is reason to believe that there are goods on the premises that the enforcement power will be exercisable to take control of if the warrant is issued;
    (c) it is reasonable in all the circumstances to issue the warrant.

(3) The warrant authorises repeated entry to the same premises, subject to any restriction in regulations.

But it's rarely used
  • Any fees/charges they add on would be included in the BR, are you in Scotland? The legal system there is a bit different than England and Wales so I would definitely get some legal advice.

Enforcement agents, no matter if they are County or High Court, can't force entry except for criminal fines/certain tax debts or on business premises and they will usually want to get it court ordered before. The blue badge should stop them taking it but it won't stop them clamping it - it's then a case of complaining to the office and association they are a part of and during that time you can't use your car. Best to park somewhere out of the way. As you say keep the door locked and speak to them through a window or your door.

It does cost a creditor to go through a bankruptcy petition and they add that on to the debt, it goes in to the BR - if the writ is returned it means they don't have to pay or administer the statutory demand.

Sorry to be blunt but I'd take a little embarrasment from my neighbours rather than a bailiff in my flat. You could contact the bailiff and explain you are looking to go bankrupt and have started the application. Might hold them off as they'd want to save costs.
  • KJ2886
    Forumite
    Hi Thanks again for the replies!
    Ive had a letter 'Notice of transfer of proceedings' saying its been transferred to my local county court.
    Will ring the bailiffs/sheriffs office later and let them know, not sure if it stops them acting on it yet or until its dealt with but will see.
    Im based in England too.
  • Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear it's been transferred and if the HCEO turn up show them the notice or call them and advise them of it, you can now use the N245 to vary the judgement until you can get your BR going. It also suspends any county court warrants so I'd keep a blank copy.

Take it step by step and you'll get there. Everyone on here is willing to help.
  • KJ2886
    Forumite
    When i found out about the CCJ and bailifs i applief for a set aside and a stay as wasnt sure about my options and if i was going down the DMP or bankrupty at the time
    I wasnt sure what route to go down with the set aside or vary the judgment too, now I have my stay of execution granted pending outcome at the court next week to get it set aside!
    Im so nervous and scared about it all now
  • co-op_lover
    co-op_lover Posts: 151 Forumite
    Hi don't want to sound judgemental or sound like an a...hole but how can you get £35000 of unsecured credit with an income of £1200 a month ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure