Ready to be debt free

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had some interest in one of my more expensive items but it fell through. However I did sell something else on eBay for near enough the asking price so I'm pleased with that.

I have many more items to list - some of which are expensive - it's just getting round to doing it. However these are all taking up a significant amount of space in the spare room and I need to get sorting it out sooner rather than later if we're putting a bed in there.

Apart from that.. nope can't think of anything to add :rotfl:
  • DD265
    Finally a big chunk of cashback has confirmed. I've just withdrawn over £75 from my Quidco account (I only had £5 "left", so not waiting to hit the £100 mark as no significant purchases planned) and then will add that to some of my PayPal balance to make an extra £100 credit card payment.

I have a hotel booking for an event later this month. On the one hand I can drive there in about 45 minutes each way given the times of day, on the other hand I'm on the organising committee. I booked it in March but predictably, haven't been putting money aside from it (predominantly as I've been leaning towards cancelling). Now, I'm trying to pick between very long days plus unnecessary driving vs an unnecessary £200 spend.

There's also a course I want to do, totally unrelated. It's kind of life coaching I guess, but having felt stuck in a rut for quite some time now this particular course really appeals to me. Unfortunately it's over $500 and I don't have the money. If I suddenly improved "the things" as a direct result then it would be worth it, but history tells me that I often don't put what I learn into practise consistently. The person running the course also does individual coaching, so I think I might be better off doing that when I've sorted my finances out.
  • Hello DD. I'm so sorry I've not been on here for ages. Still busy with my money saving and selling everything I can!

That is such a hard situation. I hope just by talking it through helped a little. I had a pony from when I was 9 - 19 and when he passed away (he was struck by lightening of all things) I was devastated to say the least so I can completely relate to the bond you have. What is his name?
    I had to rehome my beagle a few weeks ago. I had only had her for 5 months (she costs me 3 grand in vet bills and was still leaking). I'm still upset by it even though I know it's the right thing for her and us. I now have the chance to pay off some of the debt I've incurred and she has gone to beagle welfare where she will continue to have surgery until fixed and then be rehomed. Best for both of us but still tough - and as I say that's after only 5 months with her :(

How are you feeling about it now?

I didn't want to read that and run so I'll come back in a bit to read the rest of your posts and see how you've been getting on x
    Halifax: £4765.18
    MBNA: £6843.51
  • DD265
    Thanks Dewdrop. He's called Dafydd but he's Daffy, Daffs or MrD for short!

I'm actually taking the approach of not thinking about it. Not really burying my head in the sand, but more if it's upsetting me this much and I can't decide either way, it's obviously not time to decide. Yes it'll take me longer to pay off debt whilst paying for him, but as long as I don't find myself in a situation where I can't meet any bills/minimum payments then I can accept that.

I'm sorry about your dog, they can worm their way into our hearts so quickly that even after 5 months it would be hard to say goodbye. I do agree that you did the right thing though. *hugs*
  • DD265
    Operation new-bed is underway. I don't know when we're getting our "new" mattress but possibly this month.

Yesterday I bought a king size sheet in Sainsbury's as we had a voucher for Nectar points but couldn't get a duvet set as we'll want super king.

Have also just spent some time tidying the spare room; sorted out the pile of "stuff to get rid of" between tip, charity shop and eBay so will nip out soon to move some of that lot. I don't know how soon I'll find the time/motivation to do the next batch of eBaying!
  • DD265
    I managed to get three eBay listings up so that's something! Trying to do one bag at a time (I currently have 4, and some more unsorted things).

I also put in a best offer on a leather jacket. 10 years ago (eek!) when I was off to Uni, Dad gave me some money to buy clothes and I spent a not-inconsiderable amount on a size 8 leather jacket in Next. Loved it. Fast forward several years and it had stopped fitting and I'd sold it on eBay. A few more years later, I found the same jacket on eBay in a larger size (14) and bought it. Now the size 14 is too large, so I'm after a 10. Hopefully the offer will be accepted (I just thought the postage was too high so I'm trying to offset it!) and then I'll sell on the size 14.

I go through phases of buying clothes on eBay; got a couple of maxi dresses earlier this year, and I've had jeans in the past before I got on to Levis. I do sell a lot of clothes on eBay if the brands are decent so it seems 'off' to not buy from there too now and again. Admittedly you are taking a risk that it won't fit/you won't like it, but generally I can recoup my costs and the bargains make up for any losses. :)
  • DD265
    Well my offer on the jacket was rejected, but I decided to buy it anyway. Had it been £25 + £2.50 postage (rather than £20 + £7.50 postage), I probably wouldn't have made an offer and just BIN, so it's not that different.

I got 3 more listings up last night including a big ticket item, as got a 50% off FVF offer and wanted to take advantage. That runs until midnight tomorrow so I'm going to try and get more done - including my existing leather jacket. :D

I've admitted defeat and turned the heating on today. I think we did well to make it this far, and it's not trying to maintain a constant 21 degrees so that's something.

There are a couple more committee purchases to make then I'll be claiming back those expenses. Have also had it confirmed that I've hit my target again for September meaning another nice bonus at the end of October. :beer:
  • Thank you lovely.

We'll done on getting some buts on ebay. I'm doing quite well selling on Facebook at the moment :)

Good luck getting some more on there
    Halifax: £4765.18
    MBNA: £6843.51
  • DD265
    Woop my emergency fund has just exceeded £250! I'm putting in £50 a month (for two months now) but otherwise it's building up from Lloyds "Save the Change". Slow but steady. :beer:

I'm about to submit the almost £1800 expenses claim for my committee thing before MBNA calculate my next minimum payment. :rotfl:
  • DD265
    Expenses in and credit card payment made, so I've updated the totals in my signature.

I had budgeted a bit extra to pay off the MBNA card (the money from QuidCo) but my account is looking a little lean so I've re-budgeted that for now. No sense putting everything into debt and leaving myself short so I have to use my savings. I know that my PayPal account is growing nicely however so I'll use some of that; just need to update/reconcile that account.

Called into IKEA on the way home - was hoping to pick up our bed in the reduced section but no joy. Did however find a matching chair for our dining table half price at £20 - it's got a grubby seat cover but we'll either clean it up or cover it - so we now have a set of 6. I'd like 8 ideally, which is silly really as there's only two of us, but the table extends to seat 8 comfortably.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure