CSA Maintenence....

Options

Comments

• iluvfreebies
    Options
    just thought i would mention ''be careful what u wish for'' cases on cs2 (the new computer system) where there has been a claim held on cscs (the old computer system) are the cases that we all hear about in the media wher the cases disappear, the system just isnt built to accomodate these cases properly so sometimes it is better the devil you know!!!
    Comp Wins 2011 : Cant wait to start listing everything:j:j:j
  • Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...so sometimes it is better the devil you know!!!

:D:D;)
  • helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    Tabbykatt wrote:
    Under the old rules (the ones that I was under), I did not recieve a penny of what my ex-husband paid, it was all passed to the State. Under CS2 £10 a week is given to the parent with care.
    The CSA only collect the money, they are nothing to do with IS. It was the change in IS that has now allowed NRP's to keep the first £10 of maintenance received, whether on old or new system.
  • samjocky
    Options
    Can anyone tell me, are there two different types of so-called "Decision makers" that work in the CSA?

I am a PWC and my ex husband is assessed under the new rules. He currently stands as having arrears of £2000 plus. I have written confirmation from the CSA that he can pay this back at £10 per month - a total of 17 years and my son will be 26 years old by then. No excuse -my ex is a fireman, highly paid.

My partner is a NRP who is assessed under the old rules. He has never missed a payment since 1996. His ex demanded a reassessment on 22 Dec 2005 and now the CSA are saying that my partner owes £700 in arrears from their new "assessment" (which is wrong by the way!). He has had several threatening phonecalls from the CSA demanding full and upfront payment of these so-called arrears. Not one of them has discussed with him a repayment term of 17 years, only a threat of a Deductions of Earnings Order.

The CSA staff in both cases have been nothing short of rude, unhelpful, incompetent and downright idiotic over these situations. When I wrote to my MP (who was Labour) I got nowhere. Now I have moved and my MP is Conservative, I have written to him - 2 weeks and waiting for a reply......
  • Tabbykatt
    Options
    helen21 wrote:
    The CSA only collect the money, they are nothing to do with IS. It was the change in IS that has now allowed NRP's to keep the first £10 of maintenance received, whether on old or new system.

I have a letter from the CSA that states
    'The £10 per week payment, referred to as the Child Maintenance Premium, is only applicable to new cases assessed under the new Child Support Legislation, which was introduced on 3rd March 2003.'
    It has nothing to do with the amount of Income Support I would have got as this would have been the same as per any single parent of two children claiming IS. The £10 comes from the Maintenance payment the NRP pays the CSA instead of all the payment going to the Secretary of State. Every penny my ex paid went to the Secretary of State as i was under the old system.
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new...... Albert Einstein
  • Tabbykatt
    Options
    just thought i would mention ''be careful what u wish for'' cases on cs2 (the new computer system) where there has been a claim held on cscs (the old computer system) are the cases that we all hear about in the media wher the cases disappear, the system just isnt built to accomodate these cases properly so sometimes it is better the devil you know!!!

I can fully appreciate why you say that, I have heard some horror stories about CSA !!!! ups!
    To be honest my ex was assessed 4yrs ago and is still paying the same amount as back then, and I know for a fact that his earnings have increased by almost double and back then he recieved allowances for seeing the children regularly, almost every weekend... this has now changed to 15days in ONE YEAR! I have called them a few times over the last 4 yrs for him to be reassessed but it has never been actioned and he still gets away with paying £40 a week for 2 children (any parent out there will know that children cost much much more than this, esp when they have started school.. one pair of shoes costs £35).
    When I see him going off on holidays and having a social life incl smoking (he spends nearly as much on cigerettes each week as he does on the childrens maintenance) it does annoy me that my new husband and I couldnt even afford a night in a hotel for our honeymoon because it was just before Christmas!
    So to be honest if I were to have changed to the new system I KNOW he would have had to pay more.
    Gees I sound like a bitter woman.. dont I?? :o
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new...... Albert Einstein
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Tabbykatt wrote:
    I can fully appreciate why you say that, I have heard some horror stories about CSA !!!! ups!
    To be honest my ex was assessed 4yrs ago and is still paying the same amount as back then, and I know for a fact that his earnings have increased by almost double and back then he recieved allowances for seeing the children regularly, almost every weekend... this has now changed to 15days in ONE YEAR! I have called them a few times over the last 4 yrs for him to be reassessed but it has never been actioned and he still gets away with paying £40 a week for 2 children (any parent out there will know that children cost much much more than this, esp when they have started school.. one pair of shoes costs £35).
    When I see him going off on holidays and having a social life incl smoking (he spends nearly as much on cigerettes each week as he does on the childrens maintenance) it does annoy me that my new husband and I couldnt even afford a night in a hotel for our honeymoon because it was just before Christmas!
    So to be honest if I were to have changed to the new system I KNOW he would have had to pay more.
    Gees I sound like a bitter woman.. dont I?? :o

I have a mental block of the name of the form but there is a form that you can fill in if you think your ex is living a better life style then what he claims he earns.

We had to get the form as my husband was travelling 60 miles a day to work and need a little bit extra for fuel allowance then they gave him. And I looked through it. And at the back of it was a bit for the pwc to fill in if they thought that the nrp was living a lifestyle not consisent with there claimed means.

Hope that helps. I think it is called a variance or something like that.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    samjocky wrote:
    Can anyone tell me, are there two different types of so-called "Decision makers" that work in the CSA?

I am a PWC and my ex husband is assessed under the new rules. He currently stands as having arrears of £2000 plus. I have written confirmation from the CSA that he can pay this back at £10 per month - a total of 17 years and my son will be 26 years old by then. No excuse -my ex is a fireman, highly paid.

My partner is a NRP who is assessed under the old rules. He has never missed a payment since 1996. His ex demanded a reassessment on 22 Dec 2005 and now the CSA are saying that my partner owes £700 in arrears from their new "assessment" (which is wrong by the way!). He has had several threatening phonecalls from the CSA demanding full and upfront payment of these so-called arrears. Not one of them has discussed with him a repayment term of 17 years, only a threat of a Deductions of Earnings Order.

The CSA staff in both cases have been nothing short of rude, unhelpful, incompetent and downright idiotic over these situations. When I wrote to my MP (who was Labour) I got nowhere. Now I have moved and my MP is Conservative, I have written to him - 2 weeks and waiting for a reply......

Well the CSA are changing the rules. As my husband got lumbered with a about £700 back pay recently (in the last 6 months) and when we first started with the CSA it was £2000 :eek: His ex thought she would get it a lump sump :confused: But that is another story.

Anyway we are the old system and have been told a couple of times that the min per month you can pay on arrears is £25 a month and that was back in oct/nov last year. So how your ex got it down to £10 a month I will never know. As my husband had started a new job we knew roughly how much was coming in but we need a little bit of lee way to make an underpayment for a month or two and then make it up after that. And we where told NO £25 a month. As it is suppose be £5 a week (yes I know but you have to mutiply by 52 then divide by 12)

I believe that arrears are can be paid off over any time scale and there is no interest added to them. But they should be paid off by the time the case leaves the system ie 16 if no college otherwise 19 when they leave college. Also I have heard that if the arrears are not paid off by the time the case is closed then they are written as it is no longer an active case with the CSA. True well I have no idea. And not a theory I am going to test.

Wish you all the best.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    Tabbykatt wrote:
    I have a letter from the CSA that states
    'The £10 per week payment, referred to as the Child Maintenance Premium, is only applicable to new cases assessed under the new Child Support Legislation, which was introduced on 3rd March 2003.'
    It has nothing to do with the amount of Income Support I would have got as this would have been the same as per any single parent of two children claiming IS. The £10 comes from the Maintenance payment the NRP pays the CSA instead of all the payment going to the Secretary of State. Every penny my ex paid went to the Secretary of State as i was under the old system.
    That is bleeding terrible, so if you where unfortunate enough to be left by partner before 2003 you get nothing but if you are lucky and your partner left after 2003 you gt to keep £10, that is so wrong :mad:
  • SueRob_2
    SueRob_2 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    My alleged arrears payment is set at £38 per week, I only take home £176 per week, if I pay it we go without food or petrol!
    Sue
    The mind is like a parachute, it works best when open
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family