Need urgent help with Water Bill information.

Hi, I'm after any information that anyone can offer which could help me.

I'm 22 years old and still currently living at home with parents. As I've come to discover I'm on the tenancy agreement as we rent our home. This has somehow resulted in the water bill being in my name. As my parents are currently in debt with their water bill it's taken my credit rating from excellent to very poor. Other than this water bill, my credit history has been perfect, never missed a payment for anything. I'm now really struggling to get credit anywhere to buy my first car as I've recently passed my driving test. Is there anything I can do to resolve this? Unfortunately my parents aren't in a financial position to pay the debt off all in one go, but I really need this bill out of my name and off of my credit report as I don't contribute to that anyway. Any ideas?!?

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Even if you do remove your name from the water billing, any defaults or late payments will remain on your credit file for 6 years. The credit history reflects your past credit history, not the future one.
    A couple of late payments need not be disastrous, but defaults are more serious.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Best not to ask how you came to be responsible for Water Bills in a dwelling rented by your parents.

However this puts you in the driving seat so far as water is concerned, so the questuion is:
    Are your water charges based on the Rateable Value or a Water meter ?

If you are on rateable value, please give the name of your water authority and the annual cost of the RV Bill, and someone will advise if a Water Meter will be cheaper
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    OP is an adult living with parents and their name has been added to the tenancy agreement.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I fear that this bill may come under the 'joint and several' rule, which cost us dearly when my husband had a bad business partner, meaning we ended paying the debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure