Expired ID - not proof of age?

12345679»

Comments

• Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The-Truth wrote: »
    You write out a legal document stating that should the person who serves you/others that you then will be willing to pay any fine they get, sig it and give that particular person a copy.

And I won't just accept a sarcastic reply saying you've done it. I want video proof!

Okay. I've placed an advert for a camera crew and a boom operator and some extras. Where do you want the shoot to take place?
    daytona0 wrote: »
    An expired passport is effectively the government saying that the passport is void. Whether it makes sense or not, why is it worth potentially !!!!ing off the government just to keep Joe Bloggs happy when he tries to buy a 6 pack on a Friday night with an expired passport?

Plus, if shops accept it as identity, it would make much more sense to tamper with an expired passport than a live one... Could give rise to more identity fraud, especially if you use a 10, 20 or even 30 year old passport which staff may not be familiar with.

It is illegal to sell to someone under 18. Laws about drinking at home or with meals is irrelevant.

Whether the checkout staff are in the right or wrong RE: who is shopping with the adult, there is one key thing to remember:

The shop doesn't have to sell you the alcohol at all!

Can't see why people are debating beyond that... Its just one of them, learn what might happen and keep minors (or young adults without ID) away from the till whilst purchasing alcohol!

Sounds like a Saturday night in Liverpool. What's your point?

The newspapers were always going to spin a story out of it! Granted I may be wrong, but I would wager that what happened during the Blair years was no worse than what you see these days at the weekend in major cities across the UK. You can drink till 6am round here on certain days! That's not far away from the 24/7 drinking!

May I inquire as to why you have asked a very biased comparison question? I mean, the way you phrased it pretty much means that you could not realistically say that the latter was better!

I don't like questions which try and steer me to think a certain way. That's what the media do and you have to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt.

I would say that the latter is better, but then again it brings up a completely different scenario because everyone in a club has theoretically been vetted for age, expired passport or not (especially with big fines knocking around for unscrupulous clubs). With the bottle of beer at home scenario, however, it will give rise to more underage drinking at home... So there's a bit of a difference in situations, with the bottle of beer being the least dangerous IN THE SHORT TERM.

You've been watching The Day Of The Jackel haven't you, and you know what happened to the guy who produced The Jackel's passport, don't you?

People debate, that's democracy for you, it's the very essence of being human.

Liverpool. Ah yes, once voted the City of Culture. I bet they didn't get the vote on a typical Saturday night though with the streets littered with underage drinkers all making muti-coloured yawns over each other.

I've just touched my forelock as I didn't know this was your forum and folks aren't allowed to ask questions you don't agree with.

Bad day at the office perhaps or a row with the other half?
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    dacouch wrote: »
    Technically as far as the DVLA are concerned the licence has not expired, it is the photo that expires and needs renewing
    It is for this reason that an expired driving licence cannot be accepted as 'valid ID'.

As Dacouch says, it is the photo that has expired therefore the photo cannot be relied upon as a true likeness of the licence holder.

It really is as simple as that.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Sicard wrote: »
    You've been watching The Day Of The Jackel haven't you, and you know what happened to the guy who produced The Jackel's passport, don't you?

I'm afraid I haven't got a scooby doo what you're talking about.
    People debate, that's democracy for you, it's the very essence of being human.

Yea, ok fair point I agree with that to an extent. Unless I'm just looking in the wrong place...?

Liverpool. Ah yes, once voted the City of Culture. I bet they didn't get the vote on a typical Saturday night though with the streets littered with underage drinkers all making muti-coloured yawns over each other.

Indeed. I'm surprised that such events do not get as much media coverage as they did during the "Blair years"....
    I've just touched my forelock as I didn't know this was your forum and folks aren't allowed to ask questions you don't agree with.

Okayy....

I didn't disagree with your question because, despite subtly hinting at it, you never actually determined what the correct answer was!
    I just pointed out that it was laced in bias and gave you an answer.
    Bad day at the office perhaps or a row with the other half?

Yea, the whole debating thing doesn't work when you just deflect like that :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dacouch wrote: »
    Technically as far as the DVLA are concerned the licence has not expired, it is the photo that expires and needs renewing
    DS2 just renewed his licence, and it's his original photo on the new one ... he looks about 13, although I'm sure he was older when it was taken!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    I have just renewed my photo licence online, for which I could use the passport photo , and this was a renewal using the same photo from 15 years ago.

I am now grey!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    A line has to be drawn somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts