PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Book 18:

415NucyQ7uL._SX292_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8.5/10 - the exact opposite of Brilliant Life Coach in terms of helpfulness! I used it as a means of reflection, it made me see things so clearly!

I note a 3rd edition has just been published :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ive just read The Third Woman, by Jonathan Freedland. Good thriller, set in California where the Chinese have taken over the coastal cities.

He has written under the pseudonym Sam Bourne previously. Those books have a Jewish twist. No idea for him reverting to real name.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,615
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Finished "The Trouble With Goats And Sheep" not a book i would highly recommend. plot all over the place, and an unsatisfying end.

After all the posts about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, that is my next read.

In my 50 years on the planet, i feel i have not read enough classics!!
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 April 2017 at 8:39AM
    I forgot to mention that I read The Road to Somewhere: The Populist Revolt and the Future of Politics, a book about Brexit. It was much more interesting than it sounds.:D

Next up is Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan Cain.:)

ETA - actually I have just "bought" Frankenstein too! I remember I studied it at uni with other Gothic novels, but I think I will read it again. It was free on Amazon.
  • Syman
    Forumite

ETA - actually I have just "bought" Frankenstein too! I remember I studied it at uni with other Gothic novels, but I think I will read it again. It was free on Amazon.
    we can compare notes later!! :D

• VfM4meplse
    Forumite
    edited 10 April 2017 at 7:21PM
    Book 19:

51nh0s29JML._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

7/10. I'd started this weeks ago, got up to p150 and left it. This evening I made a conscious effort to read it and finished off the last 200 pages. I liked it, and found the hospice chorus humorous but overall it did not leave me feeling positive. It just made me think how the most brilliant people can opt out of life in one way or another.

I could imagine it being brought to the screen though, with Olivia Colman as the young Queenie. Maybe ITV should combine both books into one mini-series!

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • The library van visited today so I got a few new books to read.

I am sat in the armchair, wrapped in a blanket, with a hot water bottle and a big mug of tea. Fighting off a bad cold so going to spend the evening reading Suffocation by James Walkman - a book I have wanted to read for ages. Hope it is a good read.
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The library van visited today so I got a few new books to read.

I am sat in the armchair, wrapped in a blanket, with a hot water bottle and a big mug of tea. Fighting off a bad cold so going to spend the evening reading Suffocation by James Walkman - a book I have wanted to read for ages. Hope it is a good read.
    Sounds like just the book to read when you've got a bunged-up nose! :D
    Let us know how you get on with it - and I hope you get well soon.
    I've been reading "The Corpse Bridge" by Stephen Booth. Booorring..
    I gave up 100 pages to the end which is unusual for me, but I reckon life's too short ......
    Normal people worry me.
  • Syman
    Forumite
    Given up on frankenstein...life is too short..it just rambles on and on and i was not enjoying it at all.

this was in my recommendations on goodreads

408233.jpg

so will give it a go.

• VfM4meplse
    Forumite
    Book 20:

51ikKMnn40L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

7/10. Dsiturbing (although thankfully not graphic), and worth reading.

Syman wrote: »
    Finished "The Trouble With Goats And Sheep" not a book i would highly recommend. plot all over the place, and an unsatisfying end.
    I snapped this up when I saw this on a chazzer shelf recently, knowing it had been mentioned on this thread...maybe I didn't read the post properly? :o

Will reserve judgement until I get round to reading it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure