The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Anyone tried Paint Runner?

well-medicated
well-medicated Posts: 185
First Post
Forumite
Official MoneySavingExpert Insert May 16:

We have a fully researched list of DIY Deals.

Back to well-medicated's original post...

I have to make it clear that I'm not the type of person who is easily seduced by television advertising, but the 'paint runner' ad has me wondering whether I should part with a little of my hard-earned for the sake of time saving.

I know that the ads make their products look so easy to use, so if anyone has personal experience, I'd be glad to hear it.

I have three ceilings to paint (including the stairs and landing) and anything to make my life easier would be well worth the money.

Thanks in advance.

W-M
:j
I gave up jogging for health reasons; my thighs rubbed together and my knickers caught fire!

Comments

• misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    I'v seen the Ads as well,not too sure about it TBH, as what strikes me is that you have to keep stopping to fill up the actual cylinder thingy, as it only holds a small amount.
    The thing is when you do a ceiling and your on your final coat, its best not to stop and faff around filling up little cylinders, as you have to do your ceiling in one hit so to speak.
    A wall you can stop in the corner, but in this weather, to get a good finish, you have to do your cuttin-in first, then round your ceiling light, then roll and carry on without stopping to fill up, cause the cuttin in is done first, by the time you have done that it will be starting to dry, then you have to roll into it, and it can look patchy if you have to stop and start.

I do P&D for a living, and I am very fast, but even so in the weather with just the usual roller and tray I cant stop, it has to flow, specially if its your final coat.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I bought one of those extendable poles which fits onto a roller for the stairs and ceilings. It's very east to use and very quick too;)
  • LindseyM
    LindseyM Posts: 284 Forumite
    My mum was looking at getting one of these after seeing the ads - i looked about to get her one cheaper (ebay etc) but actually found reviews where people where not too impressed with it - too heavy, wasting paint etc.

I've just done my hall and stairway and agree that the extendable pole worked a treat :grin:

Good luck whatever you go with! :beer:
    Official DFW Nerd no: 563 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    :j
  • gingerbits
    gingerbits Posts: 11 Forumite
    I bought one and found it impossible to fill without making a horrible mess - though it might be easier with two people - I threw it away and went back to my slow but manageable brush
  • larry486
    larry486 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Found A Broom Pole Was Better More Stronger You Have To Dilute The Paint On The Walls I Found When U Roll Over Previous Bit It Took It Off The Edger Didnt Go To The Edge Left A Gap Width Of The Roller Good Point Did The Ceiling In 10 Mins And Only Filled It Once Overall Not Impressed Wont Be Using Again .going Back To Tray And Pads Much Better And Only Cost£1.99 Or A Pound At The Pound Shop
  • I have the Paint Runner and it is brilliant. I have used it for at least two years and they (I have two bought at the IDeal Home Show) are still in perfect condition.

I thoroughly recommend them as they make painting walls and ceilings extremely easy - and MUCH less messy.
  • I bought one of these and found it ok if you are using runny paint, if you want to use the one coat stuff then its too thick to come through the roller. Most paints now are in a gel form and not a loose liquid so even tho I've had it a while I've only used it once. The roller is ok but the sleeve isnt made out of one bit like other rollers and has a stitched seam so when you roll you get a mark that the seam has left. The aluminum pole they supply is pathetic and leaves your hands black with the aluminum its also flimsy but you can get a good pole from B&Q for a couple of quid. All in all it did the job well when I used it and although really messy and not as easy to clean as the adverts suggest it came good in the end, but not worth £29.99 I would knock a tenner off that price.
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    My informants have told me that sometime next year, a company is bringing out the dogs doodahs in an easy to use new paint system.
    I cant say at this time what it actually is,or who it is by, but if it comes off, and the trials seems to be looking good, then rollers will be a thing of the past.

I prefer rollers, being a P&D I use every type of roller, and if you do the job right with the right roller, you can get a really professional finish, but hearing about this new system and what it does sounds quite impressive.:D
  • It was delivered today.

Works superbly. Very pleased.
  • My wife does ALL the decorating at home. So, it was decided to buy one of these. They're great for painting. HOWEVER... when it comes to cleaning the roller, that's another story. Be prepared to run up a massive water bill. We spoke to the demonstrator at a show, expressing our concerns about cleaning it. He suggested leaving it to soak overnight. But, next day after letting water pour through it then leaving it soaking overnight, we had to start all over again. This is a BIG downside of this gadget, which begs the question... is it this roller... or us?:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure