What is cheaper to run? A Calor gas fire or electric heater?

Hi, I am trying my hardest not to use the heating at all for as long as possible. We have a coal fire which heats the downstairs rooms nicely, but in the winter, it will take a while to heat through, so I need some sort of portable "instant" heat to take the chill off until the fire has heated up enough. So. I am wondering, what works out cheaper to run for say 2 hours a day? A Calor gas heater, or a convector type electric heater? I know that oil filled radiators can cost a fortune to run, so even though I have been given one by a friend, im reluctant to use it. I have seen this heater and wondered what sort of running costs I can expect, or should I use an electric fan heater?

http://www.kays.com/rf/kay/navigation/product.do?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&SNtt=heater&Ns=prod_in_stock%7c1%7c%7cprice_est%7c0%7c%7cprod_min_base_price%7c0%7c%7cscu_id%7c1&Nao=0&groupId=455405538&Nu=this_product&SNtk=littlewoods_search&Np=1&SN=85+103&Ntt=455405538&D=455405538&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=455405538&N=85+103&Nty=1&Mis_item_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=455405538&pageSize=12

I have had my heating on for about 8 hours over this week and been cooking each night for about 1hr too and I have used 1 unit of gas, so I am doing well keeping the gas usage down to minimum and i'd like it to stay that way!:D

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 

Comments

• Bump I would also like to know the answer to this:o TIA
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Your 2kw heater in the link will use the same amount of electric as a 2kw oil radiator. The main difference being the oil one will take a bit longer to warm up, but will carry on giving out the heat once it has been turned off.

With a calor heater, you are paying up front for a bottle, so there won't be any nasty surprises when you get a bill.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Depends how much you are paying for your Calor Gas and electricity.

Work out from this how much each kwh is costing you, then compare with your electricity tariff at about 12p per kwh at normal rate.
    Propane
    * 1 Kg = 1.985 litres
    * 7.08 KW = 1 litre

So you get roughly 14 kw per kg
    If your gas bottle costs you £1.40 per kg, this would be 140 p for 14 kwh
    140/14 gives you 10p per kwh
    Substitute your own numbers, but I would guess the gas is a bit cheaper than electricity. This is also assuming 100% efficiency for both heaters, which would be the case if all the Calor gas is burnt and radiated into the room
  • Hi, I would just like to add that I have had a calor gas fire for over 20 years and it has been an absolute life-saver at times. Currently it sits in a large bathroom that is freezing in winter. It gets put on full (on 3) when I wash in morning - 10 mins - and then when I have a bath. It heats room almost instantly. Previously I had large sitting room and it was fantastic. Basically it is quick heat WHERE and WHEN you want it. Also it is pay-as-you-go. I am on a very tight budget and don't like quarterly bills thus have prepayment meter and Economy 7 for elec. As for fumes, I have windows open (at times) in day/at night. I have raised 3 healthy kids by the way. Good luck
  • bimbrook52
    bimbrook52 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 September 2010 at 8:48PM
    my landlord has taken out my leaking gas fire and replaced it with a £ 150 electric fire allthou i wanted agas fire replacement i think it will cost a fortune to run do i hav any rights or is electric fire as cheap as gas these days
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure