PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Snow again here!! Today was supposed to be a NSD but I was tempted to a bacon roll for break. £1.30 off my budget :o . I'll try to do better ;)
    Dor
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well had to go shopping again, for yogurts, milk, treated us to some croissants (sp), toothpaste (got a couple of tubes because Asda were selling them for £1.00), and some cheese strings.

Total spent £17.27, so have updated my signature.

I have a pkt of cold meat in the fridge that has a use by date of 7th Feb, can I freeze this because Im the only one that eats it, and I wont be able to eat it all by tomorrow.

Off now to read the thread and catch up with everyone.

Jackie xx
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    laurasbump wrote: »

If I make egg mayo for lunch today, how long will it keep? Can I use it tomorrow for lunch too?

Laura

Yes - that'll be fine - store it in a tupperware type container with a lid in the fridge

greent
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just spent £26 between the local grocer and butcher, paid a bit more for some things than I liked but just cannot justify a trip to MrT for a few things!
    Got some lovely chuck (stewing) steak pieces and mince from butcher, also some nice veg to brighten up this weekends stir fry (using LO pork)- baby corn, yellow pepper, spring onions. Also some local bread (expensive!) and some other things we needed. Slushy streets here and it was hard going pushing the buggy- back sore now!
    Updated my personal spread sheet, but as usual, not updating sig til end of year!
    Hope everyone is ok and not too snowed in.
    x
    PS Have asked this on quick questions thread but does anyone here know:
    I have a recipe which calls for 2 x 400g can cans of butter beans. I am soaking dried o/night to use tomorrow for recipe. My question is what weight of dried beans should I soak ? (presuming they take on water so if I soaked 400g dry weight I'd have more once they were wet/cooked).
    Thanks.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• cw18 wrote: »
    Have you tried keeping a Nescafe jar, hiding an 'own label', and decanting when he declares he's run out ;) Worked a treat on tomato ketchup with my kids when they were little :rolleyes2

I agree, I did this with ALDI extra virgin olive oil, OH didnt notice but then when I bought another ALDI and didnt decant , says this isnt the same as Philipo Berio, so he went and bought a Pb. Will get Aldi and do the same again.....

Oh went to Tesco last night for birthday cake and spent £28 on food GRRR so spend is up to £91 in the first 6 days of Feb. At least its a short month.

Also quite a few NSD as Im off sick with a bad back

TAke care all those in the snow
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
  • Just updating my siggy as MrS refunded the wrong amount :rolleyes: but have sent me an e voucher of £1 off my next shop to cover the error as they couldnt put the correct amount back on my card due to security reasons :confused:

I think I'll only be using MrS once a month for my FR/organic meat (if I dont get a meat box) instead of alternating every other week with MrT; as it has been too much hassle using their site and a lot of their basics stuff doesn't taste as nice as the MrT's value version (unfortunately). The basics UHT milk is really yucky _pale_

jackie_w you can freeze the meat :)

laurasbump egg mayo will keep for a few days in the fridge ;)

Nikki x
    :A
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...after no major food shopping for 2 weeks we hit or rather slid to asda today along with it would seem the whole of the town.....in was rammed worse than xmas...i said to oh if we had food at home i wouldnt bother but as we had no fresh fruit of veg and i mean none...no canned or frozen veg we had to stay put...kids pick up vibes of hectic chaos and ds had a mega tantrum at the till i felt like joining in.......but we got out in the end i didnt get any real bargains but i noticed quite nice mince was 2 for £2 i think but i didnt need any...typical...got a free range chicken for sunday which im going to cook in the sc iv never done that before so we will see if its nice....right im off to drink a nice cup of coffee...we had run out of that as well....take care tess
    ps we popped to farm foods and got one of their broken biscuits boxes ..blue box and i think they are off shoots from foxes and mcvities...lovely 1kg for £2.25 lovely for dunking
    onwards and upwards
  • I have about 52 toilet rolls! Got some on offer in Makro to add to store I already had. Should be enough for rest of year!Think will take the hit this month but may reduce if goin over budget, it was about £10 for 32 velvet rolls. have mince and fish for the month and chicken for next week. OH did shoppin this week, should have gone with, he came back with things not on list but all on offer so not too bad I suppose.
  • reb
    reb Posts: 315 Forumite
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Hope everyone is ok and not too snowed in.
    x
    PS Have asked this on quick questions thread but does anyone here know:
    I have a recipe which calls for 2 x 400g can cans of butter beans. I am soaking dried o/night to use tomorrow for recipe. My question is what weight of dried beans should I soak ? (presuming they take on water so if I soaked 400g dry weight I'd have more once they were wet/cooked).
    Thanks.

I think you use about half of the weight you want. if there are too many you could cook them all and keep them in the fridge for 5 days or freeze them. I have done both and they are fine.
    I don't get to come on here too often.
    Too buzy money saving!
    :D
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    reb wrote: »
    I think you use about half of the weight you want. if there are too many you could cook them all and keep them in the fridge for 5 days or freeze them. I have done both and they are fine.
    Thanks
    Someone else on quick q's thread suggested 200g, which agrees with what you suggest, so I will go with that and weigh them when cooked for future reference!
    Thanks.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure