The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life!

Comments

• I'll help wave a flag in your corner MW, we history people have to stick together!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'll help wave a flag in your corner MW, we history people have to stick together!

A fellow history lover is always welcome - just wondering which flag from which period you might be waving:rotfl:?
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • Thanks for the reccommendation. I did spot her when I had a quick look on youtube. Will give it a whirl.

Regarding the cruise.........I think we maybe picked wrong cruise company. Royal carribean........which was too americanised for us and the cost of everything from drinks to wifi was in my opinion a rip off. I think we are just used to doing our own thing, :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • museumworker
    edited 17 July 2017 at 8:14AM
    Thanks everyone for posting, lovely to see so many comments on my new shiny diary!

Just getting ready for bed (no admonishing yet please!) but wanted to update on the MFW actions of the weekend:
    * afternoon at free festival in local park. A few hours of music and kids playing, at cost of two 99s (=£5 in new money!)
    * set up direct transfer route from current to mortgage account, so don't need to do it via OH's account. Of course, that means had to send £1 OP to test it ;)
    * made soup with bottom of veg drawer yesterday, eked out cupboard supplies for dinner, just spent £2 on baguettes.
    * 4p TT :D
    * Bought £13 play till for DD2 bday from IKEA
    * Saved £10 off an Amazon Now shop for her other presents,m so £36 spent. All her presents bought for £50 which I think is pretty good (for us :rotfl:).
    * 11 teachers and tea time club staff presents sorted for £23.09. Hand potted herbs, just need to send OH printables so he can print them off at work to decorate them. Also plan to bake a cake tomorrow as well.
    * not so MSE, had to buy last minute present, card and £2 sheet of wrapping paper for kids party today :eek:! We did all have a lovely time and a free lunch, just need to have an emergency present wrapping kit in the car.

Mindfulness
    * practiced whilst giving DD2 a nap time cuddle yesterday, and it was lovely :T.
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
  • Mw,

Reviewing progress is always good, I couldn't believe quite how much I'd paid of our mortgage since my last diary, as well as paying off my student loan and a small personal loan.

Keep going. Lots of exciting mortgage bashing going on...
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Viking_mfw
    Viking_mfw Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You can get all of the meditations from Finding Peace in a Frantic World online on the authors' website. I highly recommend their Body Scan - especially good for insomnia! You do need to be online but they're free otherwise.
  • museumworker
    Mw,

Reviewing progress is always good, I couldn't believe quite how much I'd paid of our mortgage since my last diary, as well as paying off my student loan and a small personal loan.

Keep going. Lots of exciting mortgage bashing going on...

You've done really well Wish, and seeing it all written down makes me incredibly happy. Let's bash those mortgages!
    Viking_mfw wrote: »
    You can get all of the meditations from Finding Peace in a Frantic World online on the authors' website. I highly recommend their Body Scan - especially good for insomnia! You do need to be online but they're free otherwise.

Just taken a look, thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely be turning to those on a sleepless night!

Had difficulty getting off last night - posting at 10.30 seems to make my head whizz. From now on, going to stick to my no life planning after 9pm rule. Admonishing, shouting, waggly finger emoji and other ticking offs all permitted if I start breaking the rule!

Listened to a head$pace mindfulness for sleep session, which helped. Also did a session this morning before getting out of bed, so am up to speed, so to speak.

Unfortunately have an upset tummy though, so giving myself a hot water and lemon and an hour in bed to see if am ok to leave the house. Hope so, as have a lot of books waiting for me as part of a work research project. Deliverables due in 10 days and I need to knuckle down to meet the deadline.

Have ordered Tesc0 clubcard dealsfor p!zza express, we have an exchange student coming next week and thought it would be nice for the whole family to take her out for something to eat. £68 of food for £17 of vouchers, and still have £72 of vouchers left to use. First time in a few years we've actually used them, and most of these were due to expire end of August so am glad to have not wasted them. Will pop in to book a table in the next day or so.
  • museumworker
    edited 18 July 2017 at 8:51AM
    Morning! DD2 birthday today so have the day off. Also DS nursery 'graduation' so get to see him sing some songs, v sweet.

Didn't post last night as it was after 10 and managed to go straight to sleep. The thought of all those waggly finger emojis put me off!

Managed to do most of the research, finished 8 out of the 10 books planned although very drained so was hard to concentrate. 70p TT, 65p on 1poll. Had to buy bday cards yesterday, but decided to get £10 worth from Waterst0nes instead of the £6 I was going to get so could earn one free stamp. I definitely have at least ten at home so looking forward to buying something with those, perhaps a Xmas gift to stash away.

Am currently trying to get through the month with only the £400 in our current account. Forgot a £230 DD to nursery would come out :eek: but a CB payment of £137 came in, possibly saving my bacon! Was intending to save that to give back to taxman in Jan but no way we can do this. Will have to start saving double in August to lessen the blow come January. Still have 10 days to go with DD2 party food, another food shop and a hungry exchange student to pay for. Will be an interesting few days!
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All sounds very organised! Thanks for the reminder about linking all bank accounts to the mortgage - simple but effective!
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • museumworker
    Courgette wrote: »
    All sounds very organised! Thanks for the reminder about linking all bank accounts to the mortgage - simple but effective!

Funnily enough, it came from you! :rotfl: I reread a post of yours on my first diary, giving the advice to make the admin side of OPing as simple as possible. That spurred me on to sort out our current crazy set up, now can pay straight from current to FD. Top tip, glad to pass it back ;)

Saying that, I need to set up the FD app so can then transfer from that account to mortgage. I had it on old phone but need to set it up again. This should be the final hurdle and then OPing will be a breeze. Well, the admin side at least :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport