The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Brake discs rusting

Comments

• decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    I don't do many miles in my Saxo so the discs do tend to rust. A few miles down the road and they are back to normal.

Before my last MOT on braking they were juddering. It still passed like that.

I got them changed anyway because it was annoying and pretty cheap.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I think that the OP's problem is that there is a wear ridge on the outer circumference of the disc that is preventing the new pad from contacting the disc surface near the ridge.

That is usually a combination of hardened muck and rust, the solution is to get a hammer and chip away at it usually by hitting the corner edge of the disc whilst slowly rotating it until it is all gone. It is very advisable to wear eye protection.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,683
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    That is usually a combination of hardened muck and rust, the solution is to get a hammer and chip away at it usually by hitting the corner edge of the disc whilst slowly rotating it until it is all gone. It is very advisable to wear eye protection.

Then finish off by spinning the disc while holding a rough file at 45 degrees against the edge to remove any remaining little bits of crud/rust and to give as smooth an edge as possible.

But don't forget to check if the disc has reached it's minimum thickness.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Then finish off by spinning the disc while holding a rough file at 45 degrees against the edge to remove any remaining little bits of crud/rust and to give as smooth an edge as possible.

But don't forget to check if the disc has reached it's minimum thickness.

I may have made the problem worse by smoothing off the rust, but its still there, so the pads are not wearing away to grip the rest of the entire disc. I guess that might happen in a few more weeks.
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    Wookey wrote: »
    I think posting that for someone to read who isn't aware of brake disc rust and who could well follow that advice is akin to giving a loaded gun to a 5 year old.

Under no circumstances ever put any kind of lubricant onto a cars brake discs.

Its good that you have to be 16 to get a driving license ;)
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I may have made the problem worse by smoothing off the rust, but its still there, so the pads are not wearing away to grip the rest of the entire disc. I guess that might happen in a few more weeks.
    On most cars, the pad doesn't sweep the entire disc area. There is usually a small ring at the edge and another on the inside untouched by the pad. These, of course, get rusty without the pad to keep them shiny. It's absolutely normal and nothing to worry about, unless it starts to interfere with the operation of the pads. The key thing is the thickness of the disc on the shiny bit. It is quite tricky to measure this without a micrometer because of the scale built up around the edge, but it is easily done with the right measuring tools.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    Its good that you have to be 16 to get a driving license ;)

17 for a car ;)

( OK, strictly speaking, 17 to start driving on public roads )
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    17 for a car ;)

( OK, strictly speaking, 17 to start driving on public roads )

Its 16 to drive on public roads, if you are disabled ;)

Or if you want to ride a moped, or drive a tractor.

I never knew that - well, there's disability discrimination for you :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure