white zig - zag lines either side of a zebra crossing, but in the middle of the road.

Comments

• HogMan wrote: »
    Looks like the OPs example is not unique. Take a look at junction of Collingham Place / Knaresborough Place, Kennsington London. There are clearly marked parking bays, which would indicate that parking outside the zig zags is allowed.
    But the OP's example is different because there aren't marked parking bays. My reading of that would be as Car 54 said in post #4, that "the zig-zag lines, wherever they are, define the 'controlled area' of the crossing, which extends to the full width of the road." In the original case, the full width of the road goes to the kerb. In the latter example, the road width extends only as far as the edge of the marked parking bays.

Whatever the correct technical interpretation is, I'd feel very happy parking in the bays in the second example but wouldn't leave my car in the area adjacent to the zig-zags in the first location.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2017 at 5:23PM
    My reading of that would be as Car 54 said in post #4, that "the zig-zag lines, wherever they are, define the 'controlled area' of the crossing, which extends to the full width of the road." In the original case, the full width of the road goes to the kerb. In the latter example, the road width extends only as far as the edge of the marked parking bays.
    I view it as the zig zag lines border the controlled area. The OPs crossing has areas outside it for parking. These are defined by the intruding kerbs and are not intended to be driven along. The bus stop marking is also outside the parking area.

In the Collingham place example the zig zag lines follow the kerb on the other side of the junction. There is no reason this wasn't done on the OPs crossing other than there is no need to include it in the controlled area.
  • https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/London+Rd,+Hastings,+Saint+Leonards-on-sea/@50.8621342,0.557273,48m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47df1aaf5690ef23:0x60e332cab5ffbcb1!8m2!3d50.8594034!4d0.5571738?dcr=0
    Good example of being able to park where there are zig zag lines but not on them or between them. You are allowed to park between a zig zag line and the kerb if enough space is given.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • But the OP's example is different because there aren't marked parking bays. My reading of that would be as Car 54 said in post #4, that "the zig-zag lines, wherever they are, define the 'controlled area' of the crossing, which extends to the full width of the road." In the original case, the full width of the road goes to the kerb. In the latter example, the road width extends only as far as the edge of the marked parking bays.

Whatever the correct technical interpretation is, I'd feel very happy parking in the bays in the second example but wouldn't leave my car in the area adjacent to the zig-zags in the first location.

But the "road" runs from building line to building line and would include footpaths and verges.
  • As per my example, zig zags define the outer limits of the restriction, on the outside of them normal rules apply.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/London+Rd,+Hastings,+Saint+Leonards-on-sea/@50.8621342,0.557273,48m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47df1aaf5690ef23:0x60e332cab5ffbcb1!8m2!3d50.8594034!4d0.5571738?dcr=0
    Good example of being able to park where there are zig zag lines but not on them or between them. You are allowed to park between a zig zag line and the kerb if enough space is given.

Hello Peter, the link for goggle maps did not show very well, can you print an exact address so i can take a look please?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Hello Peter, the link for goggle maps did not show very well, can you print an exact address so i can take a look please?
    2/10 for effort. Look for a white transit outside MV Hardware.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    As per my example, zig zags define the outer limits of the restriction, on the outside of them normal rules apply.

Do you have a reference to back that up?

AIUI the zig zags apply across the carriageway rather than defining the outer limits of the restrictions.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm inclined to agree with Mr (or Ms or indeed Mx) Duck... Where there is a distinct parking/loading bay marked as in Mr Piper's example it should be OK and there might even be a sign on a post. Where it isn't - I wouldn't personally risk it without local knowledge.

Rule 191 of the Highway Code says
    You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines
    which would fit with Mr Castle's point. The supposed parking bay is outside the area covered by the zig-zags.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with Mr (or Ms or indeed Mx) Duck... Where there is a distinct parking/loading bay marked as in Mr Piper's example it should be OK and there might even be a sign on a post. Where it isn't - I wouldn't personally risk it without local knowledge.

Rule 191 of the Highway Code says which would fit with Mr Castle's point. The supposed parking bay is outside the area covered by the zig-zags.

You seem to be one of the few posters on here whom have posted a very unbiased opinion. It is very confusing, and like you, while I acknowledge there is a rule 191 of not stopping or parking on a crossing or in the area covered by the zigzag lines, there is parking available on one side of the crossing which is signaled by the zig zag lines away from the curb. I guess the suggestion is what constitutes the "area covered" . is it between the two zigzags from one side of the road to another, or is it between the zigzag white line and the curb (covering the designated parking spaces).

as someone suggested previously, i am sure its best not to park anywhere near the crossing. I acknowledge the white zigzags are there for safety reasons.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport