PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer Gleeson Homes

Hi, I am a new member to the MSE Forum, as I am searching for advice/guidance on my newly built property.

In July 2016, me and my partner put down a deposit for a newly built house (Gleeson Homes Development), which was promised to be ready in November 2016. However, due to the change in the layout of the building site (which actually doesn't seem any different from when they first explained the site to us) it got pushed back to 'early' February. Disappointed, both of us just gritted our teeth and got on with it, contacted our solicitor to inform her, as well as our mortgage advisor. Our original mortgage offer expired in January, therefore I contacted the sales office to make them aware of this, as we had been prompt and sorted paperwork out as soon as we were given it. The sales man, who sold us the house, told us we are hoping the build will be completed in January, therefore no need to worry about another mortgage offer. Hoping and praying, we didn't have to go through the paperwork again, we kept track on our build. Phoning and asking about the build and the layout of the site regularly. In disappointment, the property wasn't ready in January, as we are still not in it. With a date of completion and a date for the first inspection, the site manager is still not giving us a definite 'YES it will be done'. It is not reassuring for us first time buyers.

Alongside this, we have had to hold off furniture to be delivered as well as having to locate places to store the furniture, whilst wait for the house to be completed. As well as make sure we have money for extra payments on our current properties. The sales officer has had no empathy for our circumstance and not once have we heard an apology. I would just like to know whether or not me and my partner are eligible for any inconvenience money/goodwill. Throughout discussion, me and my partner have said if we knew the new build was going to take this long we wouldn't have reserved and put a deposit down straight away.

Thank you for taking your time out to read.

x

Comments

• AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    You'll get no joy with Gleesons from personal experience.
  • Thank you Annie.
    The things I read online after we signed I thought 'great'
    It seems customer care isn't there at all
  • AnnieO1234
    No it really isn't. That said though we had little in the way of snagging problems, and they aren't rabbit hutch developers on the whole. Win some lose some. =\
  • AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    No it really isn't. That said though we had little in the way of snagging problems, and they aren't rabbit hutch developers on the whole. Win some lose some. =\

I'm currently going through the process at the moment of reserving a plot. Apart from the customer service, did you have any other issues or was the buying process good overall?
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    New builds are !!!!, developers don't care, it's crazy.
  • Me and my wife have the same problem on hilltop park development in rochdale. Got told November then 3 months put back to Feb then March now been told April. My solicitor has not had any paperwork to do searches or any contracts to draw up in all this time. We have to re apply for mortgage and will be homeless next month as give our 6 month notice to landlord in october on property we currently renting. Told this to gleesons and all they said was can u move in with family or friends. I have 2 children and a dog and all my property that will have to be put into storage until the house is ready. Gleesons just don't seemed bothered and cannot give me an exact date for completion and keep putting it back the house has been built for 3 month and is finished inside just the outside that needs finishing but nothing has been done since.
  • AnnieO1234
    Peter I'm going to PM you with some contact details that might help.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Me and my wife have the same problem on hilltop park development in rochdale. Got told November then 3 months put back to Feb then March now been told April. My solicitor has not had any paperwork to do searches or any contracts to draw up in all this time. We have to re apply for mortgage and will be homeless next month as give our 6 month notice to landlord in october on property we currently renting. Told this to gleesons and all they said was can u move in with family or friends. I have 2 children and a dog and all my property that will have to be put into storage until the house is ready. Gleesons just don't seemed bothered and cannot give me an exact date for completion and keep putting it back the house has been built for 3 month and is finished inside just the outside that needs finishing but nothing has been done since.

Are you contracted to buy this house? I only ask because I can't see houses in that particular area holding their value when they are no longer new. You never know Glesson might do you a favour by not finishing the house on time?
  • Have they given reasons for the delay, it's strange as those houses on the front at hilltop park appear to have been ready for several weeks?
  • Hi I am new to this forum

My wife and I are in the same boat, originally advised November then Feb, then March, then April and then last week they told us it's gone back again but still to be confirmed. I did notice that the prices advertised have increased. Part of me is wondering if this is a tactical move to make the sale fall through as we have also spent £2k on extras that are apparently non refundable.(or am I being cynical)

Different sales agents have told us different reasons for the delay. To be honest if we were not in this position I would probably have moved on by now. The biggest issue is the fact that they will not commit and when questioned on this make claims that they are powerless and it's down to the sub contractors.

This is my first time buying a new build and it does seem to be very hard work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure