paypal help for business debt

Hi folks,
Paypal business account, has my name as the 'contact' name but the business name on all the account details. I was doing admin for this business for my partner hence me being the contact name(yes lesson learnt although I thought contact name just meant someone they could ring to speak to!). Unfortunately the business has run up some debt with paypal and I have now had a debt collectors letter in my personal name not the business name. It is a business limited by guarantee ive contacted paypal on numberous occasions about this , paypal say they can't do anything as its been referred to a debt collection agency, the debt collection agency say to contact paypal!

Any ideas? much appreciated in advance!

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Hi folks,
    Paypal business account, has my name as the 'contact' name but the business name on all the account details. I was doing admin for this business for my partner hence me being the contact name(yes lesson learnt although I thought contact name just meant someone they could ring to speak to!). Unfortunately the business has run up some debt with paypal and I have now had a debt collectors letter in my personal name not the business name. It is a business limited by guarantee ive contacted paypal on numberous occasions about this , paypal say they can't do anything as its been referred to a debt collection agency, the debt collection agency say to contact paypal!

Any ideas? much appreciated in advance!

I think the best way to reply is to write and say, I know longer work for this company.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Maverick and welcome to MSE,

I would agree with Guest101 that you should write and complain, ask for a copy of the agreement - they may ask you to do this under a Subject Access Request (which can cost £10) - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Personal-information-under-the-Data-Protection-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx.

It may also be worth having a quick chat with Business Debtline (0800 197 6026) to discuss potential liability issues. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure