Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• metron
    metron Posts: 69 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wanting to travel from Lincoln to London and back, out AM 10 May and back late PM 11 May.

No evidence of any cheap (say £13) seats on the Virgin East Coast site (£36 each way) but the following message comes up before you go through to the prices:

To help you get the best deal for this journey, you can book up to 24 weeks ahead (rather than the usual 12). Your booked train times may change very slightly, but in the unlikely event that this happens we’ll let you know well in advance and be happy to change or refund your booking with no fees.

Does anyone happen to know whether the cheap seats have come and gone already, or if they're still to be released at the 12 week point? VECs a little unusual in allowing you to book at all that far in advance, but it does leave me wondering at what point they release the cheaper seats.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Try putting in Retford or Newark North Gate. I think the problem is VT East Coast services are limited to Lincoln so you are seeing EMT prices.
  • metron
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    Try putting in Retford or Newark North Gate. I think the problem is VT East Coast services are limited to Lincoln so you are seeing EMT prices.
    Thanks! I see what you mean - so the only way of booking at the moment would be to get separate tickets from Lincoln to Newark, and Newark to London. Much appreciated. :)
  • miller
    Options
    metron wrote: »
    Thanks! I see what you mean - so the only way of booking at the moment would be to get separate tickets from Lincoln to Newark, and Newark to London. Much appreciated. :)

Yes, the extra cost of that leg probably makes it worth waiting for the traditional 12 week window to open.
  • danielledisco123
    Options
    Hi all,

I have looked into splitting my tickets for a journey London to Manchester and have been able to do this, however, for the splits I remain on the same train but have been given different seats? Is this the norm and would I need to switch to the other seat for the 2nd leg (Stoke to Manchester)? - Virgin Trains

Thank you :)
  • metron
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    Yes, the extra cost of that leg probably makes it worth waiting for the traditional 12 week window to open.

That's the plan now - just hoping that when it does there'll still be availability of the cheap tickets.

VEC's ticket release policy is odd - you can book beyond the 12 week point, but it's difficult to tell whether [even] cheaper tickets will still come on sale at 12 weeks. I'm guessing they will.

Redspottedhanky and various other sites simply won't allow you to book them at all beyond 12 weeks, though Trainline does.

All adds to the confusion that is rail travel in the UK.
  • metron
    Options
    Hi all,

I have looked into splitting my tickets for a journey London to Manchester and have been able to do this, however, for the splits I remain on the same train but have been given different seats? Is this the norm and would I need to switch to the other seat for the 2nd leg (Stoke to Manchester)? - Virgin Trains

The change of seats is normal, and you needn't worry about it. You can sit in any unreserved seats you like - but you'll probably have to move to the 'new' seats if the 'old' ones have a reservation on them, which they may well have.
  • danielledisco123
    Options
    Perfect - Thank you :)
  • miller
    Options
    Hi all,

I was able to pester Virgin via their live chat and get some seats booked a while back. They gave me a booking reference and it spat out a zero fare ticket with the reservation I wanted. You could ask for the same seat(s) as one of your existing reservations.
  • miller
    Options
    metron wrote: »
    VEC's ticket release policy is odd - you can book beyond the 12 week point, but it's difficult to tell whether [even] cheaper tickets will still come on sale at 12 weeks. I'm guessing they will.

At the moment the traditional window is up to 21 April. I tried for 19/20 April and could get 2 x £13 fares. I would keep your powder dry and wait!

VTEC have an email alert service, whether you trust it or not is another thing (there seemed to be some technical disclaimer when I looked)
    https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/travel-information/cheap-ticket-alerts/
    or alternatively check the National Rail booking horizons page:
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx
    or keep trying your journey until the fares are released.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure