They've Stopped my Incapacity Benefit!

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    megramya wrote: »
    My advice would be to make sure that you are really honest and descriptive about your WORST days - as this is the bottom line. .

You should never make a claim that your worst days are the norm; this is lying and fraudulent. You should be honest and open about your normal situation and the way it varies.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    choccycat wrote: »
    Unfortunately these people just dont care.

We got this impression when my husband and I rang them on Friday. To send you your p45 back with no explanation that I had failed the medical or that my IB had been stopped was a horrible thing to do. I had to ring to ask them why they had sent me my p45 and this was when I was told bluntly that I had failed the medical and was no longer going to get IB! I broke down in tears and couldn't carry on speaking on the phone. Its as though they are making me out to be a liar! They even told me to reapply for IB in 6 months but with a different illness! What am I supposed to do? Make an illness up?

My husband rang them and told them what a state I was in and that the medical was wrong (without being angry or aggressive on the phone) and they just spoke like they couldn't give a rats ***. Im supposed to be getting something through the post on Monday to tell me how to appeal, but whether I get it or not Im going to go to the CAB. I need my husband to come with me though.

Im so upset that I haven't even told my mum yet and I know I will break down in front of her when I tell her. My dad and her are in their 70s and have enough stress at the moment with a brother of mine who has split from his wife. I don't want to add to things.

Sorry to ramble on but, believe it or not, your comments and advice have really helped me feel more positive. I will let you know what the CAB say and what happens next.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You should never make a claim that your worst days are the norm; this is lying and fraudulent. You should be honest and open about your normal situation and the way it varies.

Thank you for that. I have seen this incorrect advice about "only mention your worst day" so many times, people have even said welfare rights officers have advised this!
  • healy wrote: »
    Thank you for that. I have seen this incorrect advice about "only mention your worst day" so many times, people have even said welfare rights officers have advised this!
    I have to agree,but would also add that its human nature to be positive about yourself,so the best advice really is "tell it like it is warts and all"
  • woodbine wrote: »
    I have to agree,but would also add that its human nature to be positive about yourself,so the best advice really is "tell it like it is warts and all"

Quite a different thing from describing every day as if it's your worst. Honest and candid is the way to go.
  • I have to agree,but would also add that its human nature to be positive about yourself,so the best advice really is "tell it like it is warts and all"

Thankyou woodbine - this is more what I meant - sorry for the confusion. I think it's just hard for people with mental illness, as it's common to spend most of the time trying NOT to say how it is and to gloss over the details - because it's private and also the thing of not wanting to worry people sometimes. In the medical/appeal situation it's important not to hide anything and not to be afraid to describe the worst days, but of course in the context of the range of health. However, having enough of the worst days will greatly influence someone's ability to work.
    I didn't mean to suggest anything fradulent or dishonest.
  • beachbeth
    Forumite
    You can appeal. Ask for form GL24 "If you think our decision is wrong". Get it in as quickly as possible, it must be in one month from when you where disallowed, if its going to be late you must give your reasons why. Use the word "I wish to have my claim reconsidered and if necessary appeal" this way a decision maker will look at it to decide if they can give you any more points.

I f the decision maker doesnt revise your claim it will be forwarded onto The Appeals Service, you can claim reduced rate Income Support while you wait on your appeal to be heard.

Hope this helps.

Do you mean that I have to fill in a form and that someone at the DSS could possibly give me more points and reinstate my benefit without it going any further?
  • beachbeth
    Forumite
    Has anyone used the www.benefitsandwork.co.uk website? You have to pay £18.95 and you can use their services to help with a benefits appeal/
  • beachbeth wrote: »
    Has anyone used the www.benefitsandwork.co.uk website? You have to pay £18.95 and you can use their services to help with a benefits appeal/

Hi,

My mum used their guides to help with her DLA claim and they were really helpful. Previously she had to appeal to get DLA but she used their guides last time it was renewed and her claim went straight through.

It was definitely worth the £18.95 to join.

Tally
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    beachbeth wrote: »
    Do you mean that I have to fill in a form and that someone at the DSS could possibly give me more points and reinstate my benefit without it going any further?

Yes they will review your claim before it is sent to appeal, but the chances of a revision succeeding are only about 10%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure