WARNING ebay and paypal spoof emails

Comments

• I've been stung by this before and the guy even threatened to attack my girlfriend. He logged into my facebook after I saved the passwrd by mistake. This meant that he got access to all my passwords including ebay.

I'd advise to keep changing passwords on a monthly basis!
  • littlestar1981
    littlestar1981 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 June 2009 at 11:11PM
    Oh jaysus.... this looks familiar but I can't find it in my email account... I think I've possibly found out how someone has managed to steal £770 from me... Paypal did immediately highlight it me as fraud, so heres hoping i'll get my money back, for starters the scammer has chosen the delivery address i havent used for 5yr....
    This one nearly got me, it came from [EMAIL="paypal@email.paypal.co.uk"]paypal@email.paypal.co.uk[/EMAIL], and the square brackets are mine, every personal detail was correct.

Why your PayPal transaction was declined - PayPal If this email is not displayed correctly, please click here.
    To ensure that your PayPal emails get to your inbox, please add [EMAIL="paypal@email.co.uk"]paypal@email.co.uk[/EMAIL] to your email Address Book or Safe List paypal_logo_200x50.gif pmoUK_hdr_TransDeclined_414x37.gifimg_shim.gifimg_dark_blue_header.gifimg_shim.gifimg_left_border.gif
    Dear
    Unfortunately, your recent PayPal transaction was declined because you do not have a valid payment method attached to your PayPal account.
    If you have used PayPal to make a payment before, it may be that the credit or debit card you had attached to your account has now expired.
    Add a payment method to PayPal
    1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
    2. Go to Profile and select from the list, to add a debit or credit card.
    3. Follow the instructions to add your chosen payment method to your PayPal account.
    btnLoginPaymentMethod_237x21.gif
    Once you have added a valid debit or credit card to your PayPal account, you will be able to complete safer, faster transactions with PayPal.
    We also recommend adding your bank account to PayPal. Unlike cards, your bank account does not have an expiry date which means it will not need updating on PayPal. You will need to complete our bank confirmation process to pay with your bank account via PayPal.
    Yours sincerely,
    PayPal
    img_shim.gifimg_shim.gif
    img_right_menu_image.gif
    img_shim.gif
    img_right_menu_header.gifimg_shim.gifimg_line_item_white.gif How to get Verified img_shim.gifimg_line_item_white.gif Essential security tools img_shim.gifimg_line_item_white.gif Don't fall for a
    fake email
    img_shim.gifimg_line_item_white.gif See how you are
    protected with PayPal img_shim.gifimg_dark_blue_footer.gifimg_shim.gifHow do I know this is not a Spoof email? Spoof or 'phishing' emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name. Find out more.
    img_line_item_in_line.gif PayPal Demo img_line_item_in_line.gif Help img_line_item_in_line.gifYour Security img_line_item_in_line.gifContact Us img_line_item_in_line.gifGo Shopping This email was sent to
    because your email preferences are set to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and Product Updates. Click here to unsubscribe.

Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A., Soci!t! en Commandite par Actions. Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg, R.C.S. Luxembourg B 118 349.
    OU Student! - ED209, SDK125, DSE212, SK124, DSE141, SD226, DXR222, DD303, DD307 = BSc Psychology
  • littlestar1981
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ive also had a similar one but I think its genuine as I got it just after my account was restricted for the fraud that took place!!

came from [EMAIL="paypal@email.paypal.co.uk"]paypal@email.paypal.co.uk[/EMAIL]

If this email is not displayed correctly, please click here.
    To ensure that your PayPal emails get to your inbox, please add [EMAIL="paypal@email.co.uk"]paypal@email.co.uk[/EMAIL] to your email Address Book or Safe Listi_safe.gifi_safe.gifi_safe.gifi_safe.gifi_safe.gifi_safe.gif
    Dear <my full correct name>,

You may have noticed that some limitations have been placed on your PayPal account. As a valued PayPal customer we are sending you this email to let you know what this means to you and to ensure a speedy resolution is reached.

What does it mean to have limited access?

You will notice that certain options are now unavailable. This means you may no longer be able to do some of the following:
    • Send money to other PayPal users
    • Request or receive money from other users
    • Edit or remove account details
    • Close your PayPal account
    An account may be limited for a variety reasons. When you log into your account, you will find the reason behind the decision to limit your account.

Possible reasons could include:
    • Merchandise issues e.g. if we receive excessive complaints about goods not turning up, or arriving but being significantly not as described.
    • Violations of PayPal's User Agreement or Acceptable Use Policy e.g. if the use of an account is not in keeping with our terms and conditions, it may be limited while a review is conducted.
    The limitation process helps to maintain PayPal as a safer, easier way to buy and sell. The process is similar to passing through a security checkpoint and being asked to show identification. When we limit an account we often simply ask the user to supply information to verify their identity, financial information or the merchandise they are selling.

How do I resolve the issue?

To assist us in our review, please follow these steps:
    • In your Account Overview, click on the Resolution Centre

• Click on the 'Steps to Review Limitation' link

• Complete all steps listed in the 'Steps to Review Limitation' table
    PayPal aims to review account information within 48 hours* so please aim to get the information to us as soon as you can.

PayPal

*Reviews are performed in the order they are received.i_safe.gifi_safe.gif
    i_safe.gif
    i_safe.gif
    i_safe.gifi_safe.gifDon't fall for a
    fake emaili_safe.gifi_safe.gifEssential security toolsi_safe.gifi_safe.gifPrevent identity thefti_safe.gif
    How do I know this is not a Spoof email? Spoof or 'phishing' emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name. Find out more here.i_safe.gifi_safe.gifForgotten Passwordi_safe.gifi_safe.gifHelpi_safe.gifi_safe.gifYour Security i_safe.gifi_safe.gifContact Us
    This email was sent to <my email[EMAIL="email&#64;hotmail.com"]@hotmail.com[/EMAIL], because your email preferences are set to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and Product Updates.Unsubscribe

Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie., S.C.A., Soci!t! en Commandite par Actions. Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg, R.C.S. Luxembourg B 118 349
    OU Student! - ED209, SDK125, DSE212, SK124, DSE141, SD226, DXR222, DD303, DD307 = BSc Psychology
  • TurkishDelight
    TurkishDelight Posts: 7,739 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No it's not genuine. That goes to a email1 site if you hover over it- it's a fake link. Right click on it and select properties and you'll see what I mean. It should only actually go to paypal.co.uk.
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    :kisses2: Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton :kisses2:
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine. :p
  • littlestar1981
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks TurkishDelight. I see what you mean - I found other emails from them with links on where you hover over and it doesnt say email1. It's extremely crafty, the word paypal is still in the address so you think it's ok. most spoofs I have seen are blatant (eg your bank account details need to be updated here - and the link says www.spoof.com/hsdrfihfpihfp , eg!!)
  • lily23_2
    lily23_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    I recieved 2 e-mails at the exact same time supposedly from paypal, are they genuine?

Dear Lily Davies,

On , we attempted to transfer from your bank account, ending in . This transfer was returned by your bank on 1 Jul. 2009 for the reason below:

The bank account is closed.

As a result, this bank account has been disabled from your PayPal account. Please contact your bank for more information or add a new bank account. Please do not contact PayPal because this is entirely an issue between the account holder and their bank.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
    Soci!t! en Commandite par Actions
    Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
    RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP1147

Dear Lily Davies,

On , we attempted to transfer from your bank account, ending in . This transfer was returned by your bank on for the reason below:

There was a bank processing error.

As a result, this bank account has been removed from your PayPal account. Please contact your bank for more information or add a new bank account. Please do not contact PayPal because this is entirely an issue between the account holder and their bank.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
    Soci!t! en Commandite par Actions
    Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
    RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP014 Both came from [EMAIL="service&#64;paypal.co.uk"]service@paypal.co.uk[/EMAIL], i've a feeling there genuine as there's no links or requests for info but look very different to other paypal e-mails i've recieved from this address. The e-mails have been cut and pasted exactly as sent, ommited details, mistakes and all. Of course my bank has no record of an attempted or sucessful transaction from paypal and as far as i'm aware paypal have no reason to take any money from my bank account, which certainly hasn't been closed. E-mailed paypal but no reply. Any ideas?
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    lily23 wrote: »
    Of course my bank has no record of an attempted or sucessful transaction from paypal and as far as i'm aware paypal have no reason to take any money from my bank account, which certainly hasn't been closed. E-mailed paypal but no reply. Any ideas?

Have you logged in to your PP account lately?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • lily23_2
    edited 5 July 2009 at 1:17PM
    That was the first thing i did, everything seemed fine, balance £0 and no recent transactions as expected. No response from the e-mail i sent so far either. Haven't tried any transactions - was hoping to list some things on ebay this weekend but don't want to risk it just incase. I'm not sure how to check if my bank account has actually been removed.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Could there have been an attempted payment for seller fees?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • lily23_2
    Last sellers fees of £17.25 were paid to Ebay from paypal account on 24th June. Had that exact amount in paypal account so no need to withdraw from bank. Had and have that money in bank account too. No listings on ebay since end of May and currently owe ebay nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure