Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my Mum for my old phone?

Comments

• My dads laptop broke recently and he wanted my help to get a new one. Instead, I gave him mine, a relatively new MacBook pro, which required ALOT of help as he had only ever used windows!! However, now he loves it and finds it so intuitive, not to mention the lack of annoying Microsoft windows hassling you every minute of the day. I on the other use my desktop for work now, which stops me checking emails etc on my lap in front of the TV, much to my girlfriends annoyance!! But the best part is, he doesn't know I could have sold it for close to a grand, cos if he did he wouldn't have accepted it. But it made him so happy, we spent some quality time together and I felt rewarded and fulfilled for helping my old man with something rather than the other way around. I'm Not saying we had the perfect relationship growing up, and I'm sure no one knows what you are your mum have been through together, but remember our folks are human too, with all the imperfections that come with this, and a little still goes a long way.
    So if you're still wondering whether to give it to her, for whatever reasons you may have, just think....it might make you feel that much better as well, and almost definitely she will too.
    Win win
  • Give the phone to your mum for nothing.

Your friend has only offered you £50 I mean if you were offered £500 then I would say mmmmm SELL IT!! ha ha.
  • Are you for real? I wonder at the way you have been brought up if you need to ask this innane question. I refer you to pjsmithy for a sensible idea. If this does not appeal then expect an very large invoice from you mum for all the things she has 'given' you over the years.
  • My son gave me his old iPhone 4s 3yrs ago when he upgraded to the new 5. He was 13 & it never crossed his mind to sell me his old phone, even knowing full well that, back then, the 4s was worth £350 on Envirofone. Some kids are born grateful, you obviously were not!!
  • Dont be tight of course you should give it to her for free, after all who else would have made sure you did not suffer from nappy rash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Can't believe you're even asking this question. How many times will you have asked your mum to do things for you and did you offer to pay her? If I was your mum and I found out you had asked this question I would tell you to stick it where the sun don't shine!!!
  • Of course you would give it to your mum! Over the years I've given my mum so much as a way of thanking her for all she gave me as a kid, including a car! No brainer, shouldn't even need thinking about!
    :heartpuls dawnebabe :heartpuls
  • you seriously have to ask............
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Forumite
    I would give anything to be able to give my mum an old phone, new phone or whatever..... do it now while she is still here ...tomorrow may be too late
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • mapk
    mapk Posts: 157 Forumite
    Absolutely, but less if it's a landline ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure