Bank charge for foreign currency cheque

Hello,

I've never posted on this board before so sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I am not sure where to go with this problem.

I have recently deposited a US dollars cheque into my bank, and they charged me £6.50 for doing so. When I went into my branch to pay the cheque in, they told me there would be a charge of £6.50, so I had no complaints about that.

But a few weeks later another charge of £24 was made to my bank account, and my bank have said that this is a further charge for depositing the cheque. I was not told about this in advance, and so I have complained, however my bank have said that this further charge was in the terms and conditions of the form I signed when I paid the cheque in. However the cashier had told me that I was signing to agree to the initial charge of £6.50, and did not mention a further charge.

Is this a legal bank charge? I notice that on the main page of this board, Martin Lewis comments that just becuase a charge is in the terms and conditions, it is not necessarily legal. Is there anything I can do about this, as it does not seem right to me, and seems an excessive charge for depositing a cheque.

Again, sorry if this is not the right place to post this issue, but I would appreciate it if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family