PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Morning everyone,

We had a lovely weekend, the All Blacks match was fantastic and we even managed to get home (just) before 1am which is a miracle on the trains after a match.

We had wonderful weather too - I sat in the garden for most of the weekend doing some papaerwork and it was as if summer was here. The clear weather is bringing us very chilly nights tho brrrr.

3 batches of Thai green curry stashed in the freezer, 4 soups made. No housework (apart from washing) done tho, eeeek!!!

The cats were enjoying us being out in the garden with them, and they were loving the nice weather too, all lazing around in their different places.

Hope you're all well

Hoglet x
  • HOGLET good to see you, and you sound as though you have been busy with your batch cooking.

Isn't it good when you have something in the freezer on those days when you really can't be bothered? I am sure we must all have those days.

I think our summer has finished now, unless we have an indian summer in September. It was quite nice yesterday but cool and today pouring with rain, and it looks as though it is in for the day. It is August Bank Holiday here but there isn't much traffic on the roads.

Have a good day

Much love
    Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Candlelight,

It sure is great to have stuff to hand, esoecially if I'm stuff in traffic getting home and I know I don't have to cook anything, but that what I've got stashed away is still homemade, thifty and full of good things not additives.

Must concentrate on some more soups for lunch tho as I have bread to toast and some elderly homemade pate, that really needed using up, for lunch today - not very inspiring! Got lots of potatoes so a nice thick chowder could be just the thing.

Fingers crossed for an Indian summer for you, we are back to mixed weather again here.

Hoglet x
  • Afternoon everyone, well I think summer has ended, the swallows are gathering and that means they are going back south for the winter. I've seen very few this summer, swifts too, but am aware of numbers of them in the area now. It's been an odd year so far and I know we had the very hot weather but summer seemed short to me and then no defining line but straight into early autumn. Crops in the veg plots are ripening early and finishing early, our first runner beans are over now and normally I'd still be picking them into early October and the apples are beginning to fall on the big old tree at the front and looking red and almost ripe too. The wild harvests too are early and we picked perfectly ripe elderberries and I made cordial on Saturday afternoon, even the wild blackberries here are looking depleted and on thier way to finishing. I think it might be a bleak year for wildlife that relies on hedgerow provender for getting through the winter too.

I wonder if we'll have a protracted autumn or an early winter? we're seeing leaf drop already although that might slow down now we've had this much needed rain and that might perk up what is left in the gardens too, we'll have to wait and see but I'm glad I've got a good store of firewood and a good store of preserves and frozen homegrowns to see us through if we do have a colder than usual winter.

The pond is gone, the fish rehomed and we're well on the way to sorting out the bed for grass seed and the willow structure I'm going to make for my Zebra. It's DDs first wedding anniversary on Friday, doesn't seem possible that just one short year ago we were gearing up to the big day and it feels like we've been grandparents for a very long time as the little fella has had his own place in all our lives since day 1. He met DSILs protracted family on Sunday last, including some cousins from Austria and he's the very first new baby in the whole extended family so was made much of all afternoon and apparently took it all in his stride and loved being handed round to everyone for cuddles, he's very social and likes people, lovely!!! One of the cousins has been doing the same searches for thier side of the family that DD1 has here with ours so there will be collaboration between the two sides to get Zebra a whole family tree for when he's old enough to be interested which will be an interesting exercise.

Hope you are all well and happy and just busy doing the things that need doing at this time of year, Love and hugs Lyn xxx.
  • flowertotmum
    flowertotmum Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello everyone..am back..finally.

Flipping laptop went down again..ooh it drives me potty..but fingers crossed it is done now and forever.
    O i have missed you all..got lots to catch up on..going to read thread later see whats what.
    We have been busy at the allotment and in the kitchen..more chutney and jams..plus i was given a huge bag of plums..so i made plum pie and crumbles with plum sauce for sponge puddings. My freezer is bulging with veg which is very pleasing after all the hard work Sam has put in.

We have been busy school wise too..not only did we do Shark Week we are now doing Whale Week..watched some fantastic documentaries about them.We are going to the library tomorrow to get some more books on Whales and maybe dolphins too.
    I have started to make my lovely Autumn decorations..painted cones,string balls and a wreath..with the girls help we will be all Autumned up lol.
    MLW..your gal Nell is a true inspiration..the book is totally awesome..the girls have been telling everyone about it.So glad her pupils got good grades..she is just the best. Have sent a little something for Ezra for his first winter..hope he likes it.

Candlelight..you are a treasure (((HUG))) from me..

right have to go but i will be back..later..
    love you all
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • Hi FTM Nell is here with us at the moment as it's her birthday next week and she goes back to work actually on the day so we're having an early celebration now. She wants chinese tonight and I've made her a mummy cake - victoria sponge with homemade raspberry jam in - and tomorrow we're off the Ikea on the bus for the day where I'm sure to be able to talk her into letting me buy her some presents then off to the pub quiz in the evening. Whales as a project will be so interesting, they're amazing creatures, when the girls went on thier first holiday together they went to Iceland and booked a whale warching trip to see Minky Whales and Ruthie was so horribly seasick it put her off boats for a long long time. Nell however has sealegs and thoroughly enjoyed it. Best whale watching experience for Ru was in Capetown when she was doing her 'abroad' assignment in a south african hospital when she was at uni and they had a couple of big old humpback whales playing in sight of the bay and she's got some lovely photos, I'll see if I can find them and send you some images on e.mail. nice to have you back with us, love to the tots and you of course, Lyn xxx.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello all

I have kind of been away for the summer with little / no internet but am back now and gearing up DS for his final year at school and DD for going away to Uni (gulp!). We have students back in three weeks time, so i have to prepare for that also. Apropos of which i have spent the afternoon baking and not working :o Much more fun though :p

DD got three B's in her A levels, which was enough to get her into the Uni of her choice so she is off to drama school in four weeks. And DS did 2 GCSE's early and got two passes - which he didn't expect :rotfl: so we are a proud VJsmum and dad :D

I have got very into clean eating, particularly sugar free, wheat free and feel much better for it. As well as losing some weight, though that might also be due to doing the 5:2 diet - which i am now changing to 6:1. Some of today's baking is experimenting with sugar substitutes (xylitol in my lemon drizzle cake and apple puree in my cold tea fruit loaf). and a combination of gluten free and normal flours. I also had to make a "proper" banana bread for a colleague who covered a shift on the clearing hotline for me.

I have put OH on a sugar free diet - with his agreement. He is managing it so well i am half wondering if he is cheating :D

Hope you are all well, and hope to be checking in more frequently now things are getting back to what passes as normal.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Hi VJsMUM wonderful news for your DD she must be so happy knowing her place at drama school is safe and secured, well done that girl. Nice to have you posting again too, I've missed you as well. Hope you had a wonderful summer and feel better for the break. Feels like life as normal again, woohoo can only be good!!! Lyn xxx.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thank you - she is really excited to go, it is all she has wanted since she was 10, and we promised that as long as she did her A levels then we would support her dream.

I will miss her but am really excited for her too.

And i might get my hands on her bedroom once some of the clutter has gone :p
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Welcome back FTM and VJsMUM it is lovely to see you again, Lyn and I haven't had many friends to play with on this thread :)

FTM Sam has done really well with the allotment hasn't he and he must enjoy it to keep doing it..

VJsMum many congratulations to your DD I hope she really enjoys Uni.

Lyn have a lovely few days with DD and enjoy looking round Ikea. We are lucky because we actually have one in our City, and I love looking at the room settings, just for ideas you understand :)

Had medication review with Nurse today, asthma check, BP check and will go to the hospital for bloods next week when DD sees her surgeon, don't want to pay car parking charges twice.

Candlelightx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport