Bullying/mob mentality/cliques

Hello ! :))

I really love this website, have posted a couple of times but mainly lurk - I find most of the stuff in the different forum categories really useful and a lot of of the time interesting.

However, I have also seen people being sarcastic and condescending and others 'thanking' them for their input - some people just seem to sit here all day, waiting for a lamb to sacrifice :(

Maybe I'm just being hypersensitive, but half the time I don't post in a thread because I feel or have seen others being judged or slammed, or others have been made to look/feel ridiculous.

A lot of us ARE in the same boat and 90% of responses are usually more than helpful but some are just downright condescending :(

maybe I should take the plunge and get more involved, but for now I'll go back to lurking.
Happy money saving :)))
Just saying...
Turn your car around.

Comments

• stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    i judge you harshly for writing such silly ramblings

Only joking.
  • DannyBo
    DannyBo Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    stephen77 wrote: »
    i judge you harshly for writing such silly ramblings

Only joking.

Meh! ............
    Turn your car around.
  • You sometimes come up against a venue of vultures on this site ready to pick on the bones of your texts, quoting every inch. Disembowelling its content and consequently rendering its intended meaning into a negative thoughtless act of insolence. I often wonder if its a form of autism or control, something they cant help. I'm sure it will be medically classified at some point in the future along with reading the daily mail.. best go, the vultures are circling and the quote button finger is twitching...
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    it happens on all forums like this.

just ignore the trolls and join in as where is the fun in lurking?
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The best way to counter it is to join in and expose the imbeciles.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is something I have been complaining about for a while now.

There is a coterie of individuals, probably rather sad and inadequate, who just love to pounce on posts and make pompous, belittling, and condescending statements and observations.

These people (apparently) always read every line of all the small print and never, ever, miss anything or make mistakes. Thus they are able to treat anyone who does not meet their level of perfection as being something of an idiot.

Unfortunately they are not actually breaking the letter of the forum's terms even though they are not acting in the general spirit of the site.

It would be better if more people were to take issue with these bullies because when there are only a few who do they assume everyone else agrees with them.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Azari wrote: »
    This is something I have been complaining about for a while now.

There is a coterie of individuals, probably rather sad and inadequate, who just love to pounce on posts and make pompous, belittling, and condescending statements and observations.

These people (apparently) always read every line of all the small print and never, ever, miss anything or make mistakes. Thus they are able to treat anyone who does not meet their level of perfection as being something of an idiot.

Unfortunately they are not actually breaking the letter of the forum's terms even though they are not acting in the general spirit of the site.

It would be better if more people were to take issue with these bullies because when there are only a few who do they assume everyone else agrees with them.

And the last post you made before this one was....

"If you do get your points perhaps you could use just a few of them to buy a keyboard that has a spacebar that works every time you press it.

Just a thought."
  • You get this on all forums and anywhere you can leave comments. It is just the nature of the internet and it isn't going to change any time soon I'm afraid. Just post what you want to post and ignore people who pick it apart for no reason.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    goater78 wrote: »
    And the last post you made before this one was....

"If you do get your points perhaps you could use just a few of them to buy a keyboard that has a spacebar that works every time you press it.

Just a thought."

I see that sense of humour bypass has taken nicely. ;)
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • At the end of the day, on any 'public' forum like this one your 'posts' can be challenged at any time by other members.

On the other hand, yes, there are some 'posters' who maybe look for a running battle of words which at some point turns 'personal'. All you can do is be certain of your facts and be assertive when you make your 'post'.

I've come across other sites (not this one) which have no 'moderators' worthy of the name - and newcomers seeking help get 'jumped' on by longstanding posters.

So it could be worse :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport