PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Pink.
Pink. Posts: 17,675
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 19 August 2013 at 5:01PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown very long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of September. :)

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us. :)

Pink

Comments

• Thanks, Pink, for the shiny new thread :)

I've really been feeling the cold at night - or towards the morning, more to the point. Time to look out the fleecy PJs, I think. Also have made a note to get repeat prescriptions and stuff in. I've got a cupboard full of cold and flu remedies and hankies.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Its too early. For the life of me I couldn't think what Winter IV meant :D Intra venous winter was the best I could get :o Sorry.

So far, we have put the heating on for 40 mins before we get up, and when we get home. It gets too warm after a bit for it to be on any longer. Just enough to take any chill off.

Used the tumble dryer a little bit more :o

Put another cover on the bed, we have sheets and blankets here. We still have another two blankets in reserve for December/January :D
  • I've booked flu jabs for DS2 & me (DS1 doesn't get a free one as his asthma isn't bad enough...), & told the vets nurse to book hers!

I've checked the heating works, but resisting putting it on yet, & making sure theres plenty of blankets on the sofa for snuggling under.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    I want to spend an afternoon bulk cooking to stock my dad's freezer up with stews & pies so I know he's always got something filling to eat.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2012 at 12:42PM
    Well, as said earlier in the week, got my thermal gloves(with and without fingers)thermal socks, thermal underwear, a gilet but I think that is too cold for winter(more for taking the chill off in the evening)perhaps between spring/summer and summer/autumn. it may nver get used but at least I have one.

I have various clothes and items for the bed to stay warm. Just found a wollen hat that was knitted for me years ago by an auntie(no longer here)but is still as good as new for outside or indoors.

But I think that I need to find a scarf and a pair or wellingtons as my next bit of prepping. The wellies seem to be the most difficult to get so far.

I did not used to bother with flu jabs but with a medical condition and kidney problems they say I should and being alone and no one to care for me, it's not good to get really ill with something like that so hope to get my flu jab on Monday.

Another task sorted...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Talking of wearing a woolly hat in bed to keep you warm, as some of you were reminds me of last winter. My husband was really feeling the cold and someone gave him a thermal hat they use for mountaineering as a gift. He took to wearing it in bed to keep his head warm and we christened it his ''Sherpa Tensing'' LOL

It worked great until one morning when I woke up suddenly and thought I had an intruder with a ski mask on in bed with me....it had pulled down over his head in the night.....I think my shreiks woke up half of Europe!
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • morning all! love the thread, will be popping by to see everyone's ideas for keeping cosy in the chilly season. I've not done too much prep yet, haven't had chance as we've been busy moving house. But hopefully my dad's going to come and sort out the loft insulation (we have some but it needs spreading out, and I don't fancy going up there with all the spiders!) and have rang a company about getting some free cavity wall insulation.

Has anybody had any good / bad experiences with cavity wall insulation?

Keep cosy!

Jo x
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    morning all! love the thread, will be popping by to see everyone's ideas for keeping cosy in the chilly season. I've not done too much prep yet, haven't had chance as we've been busy moving house. But hopefully my dad's going to come and sort out the loft insulation (we have some but it needs spreading out, and I don't fancy going up there with all the spiders!) and have rang a company about getting some free cavity wall insulation.

Has anybody had any good / bad experiences with cavity wall insulation?

Keep cosy!

Jo x

We got cavity wall insulation in January. House is warmer but the spiders were coming out the walls for weeks :(
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,001
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks Pink for the new thread.

Last year's thread focused mainly on inside the home. I was wondering if anyone had some garden-focused ideas. Suggestions on what we should plant now veg-wise to over-winter would be particularly welcome, in my case. (All I can think of are garlic and broad beans, and I've not had much success with either.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Thanks Pink for the new thread.

Last year's thread focused mainly on inside the home. I was wondering if anyone had some garden-focused ideas. Suggestions on what we should plant now veg-wise to over-winter would be particularly welcome, in my case. (All I can think of are garlic and broad beans, and I've not had much success with either.)

Spring cabbages, winter lettuce varieties, winter salads like endive, raddichio, corn salad (these benefit from a little protection just to keep the worst of the rain off) leeks if you can find transplants, overwintering onions, any winter lettuce that you can still find transplants for in the shops like kale, brussels sprouts and curly leaved cabbages. Some of the magazines will still have plug plant offers too.
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport