PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• sb44 wrote: »
    Regarding the MRE's (meals ready to eat), which I know are normally in myler bags and unfrozen but you could still make up emergency frozen food. Ideal for those who have to fend for themselves if their other half is going into hospital etc.

Lidl sell freezer bags that can be used to cook food in, up to to 115 degrees centigrade. So, I imagine these would be ideal for making up meals, freezing and then boiling in the bag.

They are 3 litre bags measuring 25cm x 32cm so hold quite a lot and are about £1.49 for a roll of 75, called Aromata, in a box with pics of fruit on it.

;)

MRE's are disgusting. The husband in a fit of god knows what brought home all the left over ration packs from an exercise. So there was everything from breakfast through dinner. A few good ones, but the bad were prevalent. As he put it, they are high calorie, high fat, meant to keep an infantryman on the go. There were actually comment cards in the boxes so you could let DND in Ottawa know what the soldier/airman/sailor thought of the meal. Like I can see some guy sitting down and critiquing the menu.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    nuatha wrote: »
    If you haven't already done so, remove the battery. Also remove the SIM and any memory card.
    Leave the back off the phone, while its in the rice (silica gel packets or dessicant sachets work even better). About every hour change the angle the phone is sitting in the rice in order to facilitate drainage. If you have one, place the bowl of rice with the phone in an airing cupboard or other warm place.

Tomorrow lunchtime, take the phone out of the rice and place it on a folded paper towel, if there is no moisture on the towel after 20 minutes then try putting the battery in and switching it on. If it doesn't power up, try removing the battery and just connecting the charger, if this works then put the battery back in and reconnect the charger. (If this then fails, you may need a new battery) If it doesn't power up then give it another 24 hours in a warm place.

Knowledge learned the hard way, revived three out of five phones, one of the fails was revived by a local phone shop the other became jewelry.
    Good luck

the biggest problem is it's a sealed unit (eye-phone-four-s) so I can only take out the sim bit: the rice seems to be working for now. I'll try the airing cupboard tonight. For the moment it's turning on but it's got awful waves across the screen where there is still water trapped :(

ah well. worse things happen at sea. apparently :D

Thanks nuatha (and mrs LW for only laughing a little bit heehee!)
    Blah
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I tried all sorts when my phone got wet and apparently expired. Eventually I just left it open and out and forgot about it. Weeks later it magically resurrected itself!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    MRE's are disgusting. The husband in a fit of god knows what brought home all the left over ration packs from an exercise. So there was everything from breakfast through dinner. A few good ones, but the bad were prevalent. As he put it, they are high calorie, high fat, meant to keep an infantryman on the go. There were actually comment cards in the boxes so you could let DND in Ottawa know what the soldier/airman/sailor thought of the meal. Like I can see some guy sitting down and critiquing the menu.
    :) I've heard MREs described as the threefold lie; they ain't meals, they ain't ready and they ain't edible...........!

Seems that utility prices rises are much in the news today. Was listening to the Today programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning and another 30,000 households are expected to be catapulted into fuel poverty by the latest round of hikes. Last night I started the ball rolling to switch my supplier. I'm a very light user so I don't expect that their shareholders will be sobbing over that, but they'll have no more of my money once the switcheroonie has gone thru.

Non-Brits may not be aware but, despite our temperate maritime climate, we have a shocking amount of excess deaths in our winter months, attributable to the cold, far more so than much colder countries. It's in the tens of thousands, and has been for decades, and will only rise as things get harder and harder for people.

I wonder at what point the utility companies will see a decline in sales as people literally cannot afford their wares? I know that when I replace appliances, looking for the highest energy effiency rating I can find is my priority.

In living memory, fridges were a luxury item in the UK. I recall hearing a woman reminiscing about her wedding present in the 1950s; a fridge. She lived in London and people in her block of flats actually came to the door and asked if they could see it as they'd never encountered one for real. She said it was an incredibly generous present at the time, the equivalent of buying someone a car by modern prices.

Maybe we'll all revert to a post-industrial peasantry and stainless-steel washing machine drums will be handed down from parent to child, as cookers, with strict admonishments to take care of them as they don't make them anymore, and once it's gone, it's gone.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    You've described what the snow looks like here in Edmonton. It comes down white, gets ploughed and sanded and then freezes into brown lumps that don't melt until April/May.:mad:

ewwww

come to think of it, i don't want that hitting the fan either :(:rotfl:
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    In living memory, fridges were a luxury item in the UK.
    Fridges, freezers, TVs, washing machines, dryers, central heating, indoor toilets...... Plus a whole load of small electrical paraphanalia that people nowadays regard as necessities. :)
  • VJsmum wrote: »
    Light 2 candles sb44 - i am sat marking (ahem!! kinda :o) at my kitchen table with a fleece blanket over the knees and 2 candles lit. I couldn't get over how much warmer the kitchen was compared with the rest of the (unheated) house.

I was thinking about wood and a post on another thread from someone who was delivered soggy wood. I think I may buy a small supply of kindling and put in the shed and some carcoal so that we could boil water on the barbecue or make the 16 brick stove - which is so simple as to be ludicrous. Our supply of batteries is low too, so a visit to the pound shop is in order I think.

Your post about electricity outtage and especially planes made me think, GQ. I know at the time of the "millennium bug" it was said that there was not enough "plane suitable" space on the ground for every plane to be on the ground at the same time and there must be even more planes now. i wonder where they'd all go? :D Hospitals in the short term have back-up generators.

o/t, but I understand that in emergencies, commercial jet planes will aim to land on motorways (if the emergency services are able to clear them first) or on shallow water such as beaches or rivers. This is why lifejackets are carried on planes - useless if the plane crashes at sea but of some possible use if a forced landing in shallow water is made.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :( Yeah, the wider ramifications of power-down don't bear thinking about.

It's stuff like your wouldn't think; all manufactiring, the hospitals, the ATMs to dispense your cash, the big servers moving your wages from your employers' accounts to your bank account (or benefits or pensions from DWP/HMRC to your bank account). It's the poorly babies in the special care unit, the people on life support, the lights in the operating theatre.

It's the chilled storage facility where my indy greengrocer keeps stock before bringing it to his shop. It's the tills in the supermarket being able to handle card transactions as well as cash. It's the telephony, the ambulance dispatchers, it's the lifeblood of a modern civilisation.

The petrol pumps, the phones, the trains and the planes. It's so hideously-complicated that it gives you chills just thinking about it.

I've come to realise that a lot of the information I have about some aspects of prepping is bookmarked on my computer. Power down and I don't have access to that. So, the coming plan is to get some plans for things which I may need in the future, such as rocket stoves, into hardcopy so I can access them even in a power cut. Or, heaven help us all, an EMP outage which takes everything out for a while.

My ultimate goal would be to have all my skills in my head and so practised that I would barely need to think about them but for some rarely-used things, that won't be feasible for my set of circumstances, so I'm looking at compiling a tailored-to-me manual, as well as aquiring books.

Hokay, time to breakfast and face the day. Prep on, preppers and observers, prep on.;)

It is indeed, and this is one of the reasons I don't make too many preparations for major SHTF occurrences. I have food and equipment etc for about two weeks' survival, but I think that after that, if the situation does not improve, it is every man for himself and there is not much you can realistically prepare for. It's the short term things (storms, disasters, blackouts, fires, food shortages etc) that I think you need to prepare for.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 December 2012 at 8:05PM
    pineapple wrote: »
    Fridges, freezers, TVs, washing machines, dryers, central heating, indoor toilets...... Plus a whole load of small electrical paraphanalia that people nowadays regard as necessities. :)
    :) Too right. The cottage where I was born in the sixties hadn't changed overmuch since it was built in the early sixteen hundreds. It'd had a back kitchen stuck on at some point and had a copper in the kitchen and one cold tap, was just about-wired for leccy. There was no bathroom at all and an outside WC which was emptied into the honey cart. The garden rang hollow a bit, we thought there might be an old well under there somewhere.

I asked Mum if she was offered a hospital delivery (I'm the firstborn and we were in a one-horse village miles from anywhere with only a payphone on the street) and she just looked at me as if I was daft!

People would have forty fits to live like that nowadays but the family before ours had raised 6 kids there. And as the copper fire and the sitting-room fire could burn any old thing, you weren't held to ransom by utility companies, either.

The old cottage has now been listed Grade 2 and has a bathroom and changes hands for close to half a mill (folks rented it back in the day). And I wouldn't mind betting that place will still be standing in another 200 years time when the current crop of [STRIKE]little boxes made of ticky-tacky[/STRIKE] oops, I meant, modern newbuilds, have gone to landfill.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I haven't got anything at all saved in this laptop. I write things down with real paper and real pen lol. I think the best way to learn things like firepits is to watch youtube videos until you've either gone mad, or memorised every step.
    My mum lived her whole life without a fridge or a freezer or a blender or an automatic or a bank card. if she can, I can. You just alter the way you do things to fit the new circs.
    And don't forget to write down phone numbers. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure