'Parking Fines. You can reclaim them...' blog discussion

Comments

• TArquintp
    TArquintp Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    alanino64 wrote: »
    Arrived at a small pay n display car park nr Croydon, and just checked the meter which read "Sundays and Bank Holidays are free". Thinking this was ok, as it was Good Friday, went about my business of looking at all the empty stores on the hight street.
    Anyway, upon my return I found that I had received a parking ticket! Well not only me, but most of the cars in the car park!!
    I phoned the local council, and ....eventually.... :mad: I was told that Good Friday is not a Bank Holiday and that it was a 'national holiday' / 'holy day'.

Anyway, thought I would pass this on - did anyone else get caught out?

According to direct.gov.uk (just Google Bank Holidays)

Good Friday is one of eight "eight permanent bank holidays in England and Wales". Is there some more specific by-law in operation?
  • David12
    David12 Posts: 23 Forumite
    The flamboyant signatures speak worlds about the high regard with which the signers view themselves - illiterate scrawl by jumped up little hitlers comes to mind.
    It is obvious from the form letters received that cases are not, initally at least, considered individually. A standard reply is dashed off in the hope that the complainant will be cowed by the threat of a double fine.
    You took them on at "double or quits" and won!
  • tonycree
    tonycree Posts: 40 Forumite
    weeell done...
    i beat the London charge once, 'cos i knew they were wrong but they were insisting no one gets away without paying when they ask for it...icon10.gif
    there is a site run by ADAM BLAIR icon13.gif and an associate who claim to get you off speeding fines - not true - tho' i paid £93 to find that out: BEWARE !! and i still haven't been reimbursed...icon8.gif
    i now have a real solicitor fighting my case @ £190 per fr....kin' hour.icon5.gif
  • I've just paid the £25 fine rather than risk it increasing as I can't afford it.
    I paid for a ticket but whilst I was away from the car it dropped off the dashboard (Yaris - sloping dashboard). Fair enough, it wasn't on display and a ticket was correctly issued.
    I wrote in with the actual ticket confirming that I had paid and pointing out that the ticket could actually be seen as by chance it had landed the correct way up on the drivers seat.
    I was confident that having paid and proved it they would cancel the fine.
    Oh no. Apparantly the offence was not correctly displaying a ticket.
    Given the current economic climate what planet are these councils on. Would they prefer us not to shop in their areas?
    This was not a case of someone trying to get away with paying. Clearly common sense is overruled by councils seeing anyway possible of getting money off the public.
  • I once parked in Liverpool and selected a two hour ticket. I went off and did my work but came back with 10 mins to spare. I was horrified to find a ticket on the vehicle that had been written out 10 mins. previously. I asked a passing parking warden, from a different firm, what was it for and he said that I was parking legally. I wrote to the relevant department who said that on this occasion I would get the benefit of the doubt but if it happened again I would not be so lucky!! Bloody cheek.
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    I recently had to park on double yellow lines not 10 feet away from my house. I am disabled and was displaying my blue badge. I couldn't park outside my own home at the time (no driveway) because somebody else was there and had to park where I did because I have limited mobility. Anyway, I popped out to move my car which was less than an hour after I had parked up to find an FPN (Fixed Penalty Notice) stuck to the windscreen. FPN's are only issued by the police. So, what had I done wrong? I had inadvertently knocked the time clock that goes with a blue badge so that it was showing an incorrect time. Blue badge holders are allowed up to 3 hours waiting on double yellow lines as long as they are not causing an obstruction, and I wasn't.

I wrote a litter stating my case to the local police authority even though there is no route of appeal on an FPN just pay the ifne or go to court. My appeal was upheld and the fine was dropped.

I now have to ask why, bearing in mind that my car was not even 10 feet away from ym own house, did the police officer not bother knocking on my door and making me aware of my mistake? This was a community police officer after all (not PCSO a proper copper). Surely it wouldn't have taken 10 seconds to get a check done onthe Police National Computer from my registration umber? I have since found that all police officers are supposed to undergo awareness training for disabled people and I would have considered this to be a good case and also a damn good way of building a bit of community trust and spirit with the police. It's certainly only had the effect of lowering my respect for the police.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • We received a parking ticket for parking in a shopping area that they claimed we were not at - we appealed with evidence from the store staff stating that we'd been there and it was rejected - we requested a copy of the parking attendants notes and our original copy of evidence and details of their solicitor and they tried to tell us that their rejection letter had been the wrong one sent out and that we had, in fact, won the appeal....

threaten them with legal action - it definitely works!
    This is not the beginning of the end;
    This is the end of the beginning......
  • The rules state that parking restriction signs must be about 60 metres apart. I parked in a street where the sign on the opposite side allowed parking on Sundays. It turned out that daytime parking on my side was completely prohibited. I appealed because the signs were over 100 metres apart and won.:j
    My wife paid to park in a Cheltenham carpark, and drove into a space and stopped when the parking sensors started to bleep. When she came back to the car, she found a parking ticket - IN A CARPARK!!! The reason was that she had not fully driven into the space. We appealed and won.:j
    But this aggressive behaviour on the part of Council staff is frightening!:mad:
  • THIS IS PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT IF YOU LIVE/PARK IN LONDON!!!
    I usually keep my parking stickers. Being self-employed, I can claim back these expenses against tax so it is worthwhile doing so. However, very occasionally, I might throw one away.
    Well, I had an experience in January that made me soooooo glad I had not thrown that parking sticker away. I was in a hurry to get to a cinema screening of Obama's inauguration. Found a parking space fairly easily and put enough money in to get a parking sticker that kept me safe until after 6:30 when the restrictions ceased. What I didn't notice is that this one required you to take off the sticky label and use it to attach the sticker to the inside of the windscreen. My local ones only require you to place the ticket on the dashboard. So that is where I left this one. Unbeknownst to me, I got a parking fine. There was nothing on my windscreen when I came back to collect my car later that night so I was none the wiser until a final demand (and consequently, increased fine) arrived by post. Fortunately I was able to find the sticker, scanned it and appealed on-line. They backed down without any further appeal!!!
  • beebo_2
    beebo_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have just checked Directgov website and according to the goverment there are 'eight permanent bank holidays in England and Wales' Good Friday being one of them.
    :beer:
    alanino64 wrote: »
    Arrived at a small pay n display car park nr Croydon, and just checked the meter which read "Sundays and Bank Holidays are free". Thinking this was ok, as it was Good Friday, went about my business of looking at all the empty stores on the hight street.
    Anyway, upon my return I found that I had received a parking ticket! Well not only me, but most of the cars in the car park!!
    I phoned the local council, and ....eventually.... :mad: I was told that Good Friday is not a Bank Holiday and that it was a 'national holiday' / 'holy day'.

Anyway, thought I would pass this on - did anyone else get caught out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure