Cost of oil central heating

Options

Comments

• nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends where you live, here in the Outer Hebrides, we're just over 70p a litre for heating oil. In March 2006, it was 34p. We're getting stung for our petrol & diesel too, it costs £1.43 for diesel and £1.26 for petrol just now
  • amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    Thats very high for diesel. Here in Leeds its about £1.30 a litre!
  • TankMaster
    TankMaster Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Pilly57 wrote: »
    Re: Boulter Camray 2

So often I hear people harking on about Worcester Bosch being so wonderful, like many engineers I too suspect that Worcester bosch acquired Boulter because the quality build and reliability of the Boulter Boilers product was a threat to Worcester Bosch.

Erm, not quite as simple as that. Worcester didn't actually acquire Boulter directly. Rather, Buderus acquired Boulter, Bosch subsequently acquired Buderus (of which Boulter was a small part) and then Boulter was 'integrated' into Worcester Bosch.

But I do agree with the sentiments about Wocester Bosch product - personally, these days I'd opt for a Grant Vortex or a Warmflow, both of which cost less and in my opinion, deliver more.

Also, completely agree about the importance of comissioning and servicing. As one boiler manufacturer reminded me, a boiler is only as good as the last 'expert' who serviced or commissioned it.

Regards

TM
  • amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    TankMaster wrote: »
    Erm, not quite as simple as that. Worcester didn't actually acquire Boulter directly. Rather, Buderus acquired Boulter, Bosch subsequently acquired Buderus (of which Boulter was a small part) and then Boulter was 'integrated' into Worcester Bosch.

But I do agree with the sentiments about Wocester Bosch product - personally, these days I'd opt for a Grant Vortex or a Warmflow, both of which cost less and in my opinion, deliver more.

Also, completely agree about the importance of comissioning and servicing. As one boiler manufacturer reminded me, a boiler is only as good as the last 'expert' who serviced or commissioned it.

Regards

TM

Yeah Id agree with the final statement. Its generally agreed that all modern boilers are packed full of electronics which tend to be the first thing to fail. Also cheap boilers tend to break down more due to using cheap components.
    200 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    We have to get serious about oil heating, first its very polutant compare to gas,
    second its like a 10 litre engione runing 10 hours a day! Oil prices are mad even low quality oil is 99p a litre in the UK. What ever the estate agents say is either a lie or that the owners had a contract of some sort with their oil company. I think you either take another propety or double glazing.
  • paceinternet
    Options
    "200", unfortunately that is a very misleading post. Oil has its place for some people who do not have mains gas.
    Domestic heating oil is currently less than 40p per litre. Search the forum and you will find people are getting it for 36 - 38p at the moment.
  • Walkawhile2009
    Options
    I know this has been covered sometime ago, and all over the place via Google. Much of the information is out of date, or just plain WRONG. Whatever central heating system you have, a great site to compare the prices is
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Estimate of Annual Fuel Cost[/FONT]
    see - sedbuk DOT com/cost DOT htm - (it wont let me post url:confused:)

As a rough guide of FACT....all things considered the stats are, for a boiler running at say 90% efficiency, in a semi are as follows.

Cheapest in ascending order with cost per year.

1: Mains = £293

2: Oil = £345

3: LPG - £652

4: Electricity = £1132

So, you can clearly see there is a huge difference in price between mains gas and electricity!

I was very pleasantly surprised to discover before I moved in to a rented property way out in the sticks, that the oil was almost the cheapest, as I had thought I would be better off looking for a place with LPG.

Something to seriously consider before moving on huh?

Obviously prices go up and down, but the principle is exactly the same...

Took me ages to find the info, so I hope it helps some of you when choosing your new pad, or central heating system.

Cheers.:beer:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I know this has been covered sometime ago, and all over the place via Google. Much of the information is out of date, or just plain WRONG. Whatever central heating system you have, a great site to compare the prices is
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Estimate of Annual Fuel Cost[/FONT]
    see - sedbuk DOT com/cost DOT htm - (it wont let me post url:confused:)

As a rough guide of FACT....all things considered the stats are, for a boiler running at say 90% efficiency, in a semi are as follows.

Cheapest in ascending order with cost per year.

1: Mains = £293

2: Oil = £345

3: LPG - £652

4: Electricity = £1132

So, you can clearly see there is a huge difference in price between mains gas and electricity!

I was very pleasantly surprised to discover before I moved in to a rented property way out in the sticks, that the oil was almost the cheapest, as I had thought I would be better off looking for a place with LPG.

Something to seriously consider before moving on huh?

Obviously prices go up and down, but the principle is exactly the same...

Took me ages to find the info, so I hope it helps some of you when choosing your new pad, or central heating system.

Cheers.:beer:

Welcome to the forum.

I find it difficult to accept your figures are accurate.

Taking your figure of £293 for mains gas, the cheapest gas for 20,000kWh pa for my area is BG websaver at an average cost of 3.4p/kWh.

So that would mean you would be using only 8,617kWh pa. That is extremely low as the average consumption in UK is 20,500kWh pa.

Whilst I accept that oil prices vary a great deal, the thread on oil prices indicate that oil can be obtained for around 26p/litre. A litre of oil contains the equivalent of 10.2kWh.

So oil at around 2.6p/kWh is considerably cheaper than gas and the cost for 8617kWh would be £224 pa not the £345 you quote.

The cheapest electricity(not Economy 7) is with EON at an average price of 9.3p/kWh and of course electrical heating is 100% efficient. So the approx cost of electrical heating for 8617kWh would be £720 not £1132.

In fact with electrical storage heating it could be even cheaper.
  • Squish_21
    Options
    Interesting thread, just spotted a nice house but its oil heated house. Think i'll steer clear.

I asume to convert it to gas central heating it would be a whole new heating system and cost a bomb?
    Squish
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Squish_21 wrote: »
    Interesting thread, just spotted a nice house but its oil heated house. Think i'll steer clear.

I asume to convert it to gas central heating it would be a whole new heating system and cost a bomb?

Much of the existing plumbing, HW tank, radiators etc could be used. Boiler and probably flue etc would cost quite a bit.

It might cost a fortune to get gas piped to the house - assuming that is needed.

The problem with oil is the volatile price. Last May it could be obtained for 26p a litre so considerably cheaper than gas. However it has been as high as 70p in recent times.

At current prices it wouldn't justify spending £thousands converting to gas - but in future?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure