MoneySaving Poll: Do you pay for domestic services?

Options
Poll started 15 Apr 2014

Is housework still a preserve of the family, or in our growing service culture, are more people spending money on help in and around the home?

Do you pay for domestic help? If so, what do you pay for?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    I had to let the butler go last year :(
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As a disabled person who likes cleaning. Yes really I do but cannot do certain tasks I have to pay for a cleaner. Will never understand why our DLA doesn't include basic cleaning element as I only pay for a cleaner as I simply cannot do it myself. Bet I'm not the only one in this position.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I'd love to know what everyone pays for the help they're getting - that would be very interesting!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a cleaner she has OCD and is awesome, I pay her £12 an hour. I could get cheaper but I wouldn't get the level of service.
  • rageagainstessays
    Options
    No currently I'm more likely to the employed as domestic labour, than being an employer of domestic labour.

But it's an aspiration :)
    “Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral. ”
    ― Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
  • momist
    momist Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nearly 40% paying for a window cleaner I can understand, although I never have. What amazes me is that, on a "Money Saving" forum, 20% pay for a cleaner!
    Wow, I never would have thought that.
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    I got a cleaner (who also irons my work shirts) when i was really sick some years ago - it was one less thing to do and helped me hold down my full time job.

Im now somewhat more well, but ive kept the cleaner - they cost less per month than sky (I'm more than happy with freeview), and i don't have to sit through endless adverts.

For those curious: £10.50 per hour, 3 hours per fortnight. If i had a bigger place, or kids, that would probably have to double.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't at present, but once I am settled in to my new home I would like to find a cleaner if I can.

I don't think it is any different to paying any other tradesperson - it's worth it if the time / stress you save by paying a professional, and getting the job done properly, outweighs the financial cost.

In the past I have paid for a catsitter (it was much less stressful for my cat then sending him to kennels, meant that there was someone visiting the house so it was much less obviously empty, and was not actually any more expensive than paying for a cattery.

I am not good at DIY and there are a lot of things which are physically difficult/painful for me due to a long standing medical issue, so I will definitly pay for a handyman/woman when necessary - in fact I am looking for one at present, as I have a little list of jobs which need doing...
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have employed a cleaner in the past when we were both working full-time.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I don't at the moment but when we're less cluttered, I'll pay for a cleaner because we both work long hours.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport