First Direct - not so wonderful

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Obviously, the security was far less in 1992, when I joined.

Getting Regular Savers are still straight forward, but getting a credit card a couple of years ago triggered at least thirty minutes of Spanish Inquisition.

They call it getting to know our customers.
    Well, if you don't know me after 20 years, you never will.

Strictly speaking, I haven't had a salary for over 15 years, and the £1,500 a month does seem rather too mechanical. If I was MI6, I would be suspicious, and haul me in for a cavity search. Obviously I am a Russian sleeper agent, whose living allowance hasn't been reviewed for 20 years. :mad:
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We (OH & I) had also had an FD joint a/c for around 20 years - then out of the blue they wanted a load of extra paperwork from my OH - presumably to prove I hadn't invented him, as I tend to do all the transactions on that account!
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Never had a problem with them opening accounts (current, savings, ISA's) or a loan. They seem very punctilious with security which is of mutual benefit.
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Been with first direct for a couple of years and previously 4 years before that. Apart from the odd slip up and the 45 minute interrogation to rejoin them they have been fine. Out of all the banks I have used they seem to be one of the very few that resolve queries quickly without being passed around. I dare say others will have a different view but all companies will have satisfied and dissatisfied customers for varying reasons, such as how well the customer runs the account and how the bank treat them in response, how well a bank handles or mishandled what should be a straight forward query, product knowledge by the staff and being told the correct thing first time. Most of the time First Direct for me achieves these things.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I switched to them about a year ago and had a a similar/worse experience.

Overly complex process; repeated errors; impossible to get satisfactory answers from customer services; slow and unhelpful complaints people.

Why this site consistently rates them as best for CS I have no idea.

I left. Didn't even wait the 6 months to get the leaving bonus it was so bad.
  • RedSky1974
    RedSky1974 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Exceptional service with them - have held a current account for about 6 years. Several regular savers during this time. Also took our a mortgage with them - this was very easy and streamlined - no complaints whatsoever
  • FrankRizzo
    FrankRizzo Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not been with them long enough to comment on CS but one thing I did notice was how much paper work they send you through by far the most compared to other banks. Over the top in this day in age and must be inefficient, costly and not environmentally friendly.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    FrankRizzo wrote: »
    Not been with them long enough to comment on CS but one thing I did notice was how much paper work they send you through by far the most compared to other banks. Over the top in this day in age and must be inefficient, costly and not environmentally friendly.

I'm presuming you don't use the tesco bank?
  • I've been with them for years opening a new account was tortuous but even the rep on the phone was laughing along as we went through the last few months of statements asking what each was... no idea why they need to know. Hardest bit was porting my mortgage as I had moved to carers allowance and so didn't meet their income levels (That was never pointed out as a clause against porting) How the hell can they offer a facility but you must still be in exactly the same financial position years on to take advantage.... I raised the issue of them discriminating against their disabled clients and everything changed! That was the only bad bit of customer service in about 15 years. The hardest bit is remembering the answers to security questions which you set up 15 years ago and if you haven't rung for years you have a hard job!
    Solar PV cost £5760 (15/03/13)
    FIT inc + Electricity saved £3746 (65% Paid back) Tax free
    Last update 30/09/17
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The truth is, every company, banks, energy, supermarkets, whatever, will have stories of poor customer service. Good customer experience is not reported as much as negative customer experience. One thing I'll say about FD is that their internet banking is inferior to other banks, but again, that is subjective. From opening up many accounts, FD appears to take quite a while in comparison to others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure