big noise from skybox

Its a very old box, at least 7 yrs or more and its making loud noise, as if the fan has gone crazy. Someone suggested dust inside, but does it sound its busted?

what can I expect if I call them re getting a new one, we are just on the old basic £26 package.

Comments

• Sky will charge £65 for a re-conditioned replacement box.

Cheaper to just buy one from E-Bay etc.
  • aggypanthus
    aggypanthus Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks. I will see if they haggle
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You're more likely to get one , if you cancel, giving a failing box as your reason (provided that you are not in a fixed contract because of an offer you took up).

If you decide to buy from Ebay, do check carefully for what you are buying, as I notice some of the cheap ones from obvious dealers have had the hard drive removed. (Some dealers are asking more than Sky's price, though they seem to include a longer warranty)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »

If you decide to buy from Ebay, do check carefully for what you are buying, as I notice some of the cheap ones from obvious dealers have had the hard drive removed.
    If, like you, the OP doesn't trust E-Bay sellers then Sky decoders are also cheap as chips from Cash Converters etc where you can inspect the machine and ensure it is working properly prior to purchase.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yup, buy second hand, or phone them and tell them it's broken and you'd like to cancel....
  • aggypanthus
    aggypanthus Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks everyone. After switching it off it better, still intent to get a new one
  • still intent to get a new one
    Sky won't provide a "new" decoder unless you pay the full price for one. They'll only provide a (working) re-furbished box with a three month guarantee for £65. You're unlikely to see any improvement at all if your original box is now working.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure