PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS menopause memories?

Options

Comments

• beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the biggest difference is that it's very rarely sunny here ;) My level is above average for Scotland but lower than they say it should be - not sure if it is just the latest fad but figured taking the supplement wouldn't do any harm.

This is a good link
    https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    It is impossible to get enough vit d from sun exposure between oct and apr in this country.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    It is impossible to get enough vit d from sun exposure between oct and apr in this country.

I'd be interested to see research on that.

I get very confused personally by the words "this country" - as I mean the whole of the country when I say that (ie Lands End to John O Groats and including Wales) - but others mean just the part of the country they are in.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be interested to see research on that.

I get very confused personally by the words "this country" - as I mean the whole of the country when I say that (ie Lands End to John O Groats and including Wales) - but others mean just the part of the country they are in.

From the NHS website:

Winter sunlight
    In the UK, sunlight doesn't contain enough UVB radiation in winter (October to early March) for our skin to be able to make vitamin D.
    During these months, we rely on getting our vitamin D from food sources (including fortified foods) and supplements.
    Using sunbeds is not a recommended way of making vitamin D.

I would think the first place you would achieve a sufficient level during the winter months would be around Nice.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Actually look at this site http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4288313/ and you will find that anywhere north of Madrid will be deficient. That includes West Wales!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Sage worked for me.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on your skin type too - that link I posted gives lots of different scenarios, ie
    At noon in Boston during summer, an individual with skin type III would probably need about 1 hour of exposure to the sun to make 1,000 IU of vitamin D.
    Someone with skin type V would probably need about 2 hours of exposure.
    During the winter months in Boston, it’s not possible for anyone to make vitamin D from the sun, no matter their skin type.

And of course, using sunscreen stops the absorption - more awareness of skin cancer leads to less absorption of vitamin D.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2016 at 6:10PM
    Options
    This article explains that UVB is not present until the sun is 50 degrees above the horizon and using your latitude you can calculate at what point in the year it is above that angle. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/26/maximizing-vitamin-d-exposure.aspx It is all to do with latitude and London is a similar latitude to Calgary. Beecher how much supplement do you take as the recommended levels will be unlikely to make you replete.
  • crafty_witch
    Options
    Feel as if I'm in a safe place to share so here goes. Re the unwanted hair thing, has any body else had the opposite happen? I can't remember the last time I had to shave my pits or my legs which is a bit of a billy bonus imo. BUT its really thinning 'down below' which I find really embarassing given that I have just started having sex again after being single for 12 years (Go me!:D) Is anyone else going bald in the tufty club or just me.:o
    If this is a symptom of the change, it's certainly another one that they don't tell you about
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I keep hoping my bush will go a bald as a badger but no luck so far although I don't have armpit hair any more and leg hair has always been sparse.
    It's also quite fashionable to have a bald or trimmed bush, so I wouldn't worry
    Chin up, Titus out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport