Smoke alarms up to code?

We had our flat rewired in 2009 and the electrician installed smoke alarms wired to the mains. Our freeholder is now asking us to confirm that the alarms meet this standard:

Grade D - LD3 system based on BS5839-6

Does anyone have any idea how we can go about finding this out? I haven't been able to get in touch with the electrician who did the work. Do I need to get another electrician out to look at them?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    penguine wrote: »
    We had our flat rewired in 2009 and the electrician installed smoke alarms wired to the mains. Our freeholder is now asking us to confirm that the alarms meet this standard:

Does anyone have any idea how we can go about finding this out? I haven't been able to get in touch with the electrician who did the work. Do I need to get another electrician out to look at them?
    Why don't you just confirm that they do meet that specification? ;)
  • Have a look here http://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/blog/bs5839_part_6_2004_fire_alarm_system_british_standard.php

. and see if your system is OK, if it is, jobs a good 'un

Any problems come back and I'll try and answer them.
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 7:13PM
    penguine wrote: »

Most likely Yes if freeholder requires cert/proof etc If you don’t know to what standard they were fitted chances are never had them tested serviced /maintained etc since installation 2009

Most manufacture recommendations 5-10 years (total life yearly test etc) you’ll need appropriate qualified person to check/re cert them e.g. electrician you’ll get nothing but pure guesses from a forum? If freeholders need to bring property up to standards insurance, its a HMO some rented etc they'll need to cover there !!!!!! ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure