Cheapest Sipp: build yourself a low cost DIY pension article

Comments

• Hello. I plan to transfer £200k into a SIPP - I want to leave it there for around 5 years until I'm ready to buy an annuity - I'm not looking for growth, I just want to put it into a fixed income fund in order to keep it as safe as I can. Any thoughts on which company I should use to manage this? I want to keep my charges to a minimum - I was going to use Hargreaves Lansdown but at .45% this would be £900 per year for doing pretty much nothing. Selftrade looks a good option but I'd welcome any other thoughts thank you.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello. I plan to transfer £200k into a SIPP - I want to leave it there for around 5 years until I'm ready to buy an annuity - I'm not looking for growth, I just want to put it into a fixed income fund in order to keep it as safe as I can. Any thoughts on which company I should use to manage this? I want to keep my charges to a minimum - I was going to use Hargreaves Lansdown but at .45% this would be £900 per year for doing pretty much nothing. Selftrade looks a good option but I'd welcome any other thoughts thank you.

How about personal pensions?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Take a look at X-o ( Liberty SIPP).
  • spexs
    spexs Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Between leaving her part time job (2017) and drawing her state pension (2020) my wife will have three years where she will have approx £5000 unused tax personal allowances p.a. She has no private pension. My thinking is to put £12k net (£15k gross) into a SIPP and draw it out totally tax free over the three years where she has the free PA. My thoughts are to put the money into a purely cash fund within a SIPP to avoid market fluctuations as it's a relatively short term "investment". If my plan make sense can anyone recommend a SIPP fits the bill.

Thanks.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    spexs wrote: »
    Between leaving her part time job (2017) and drawing her state pension (2020) my wife will have three years where she will have approx £5000 unused tax personal allowances p.a. She has no private pension. My thinking is to put £12k net (£15k gross) into a SIPP and draw it out totally tax free over the three years where she has the free PA. My thoughts are to put the money into a purely cash fund within a SIPP to avoid market fluctuations as it's a relatively short term "investment". If my plan make sense can anyone recommend a SIPP fits the bill.

Thanks.
    HL might be a good choice as there's no charge for a cash SIPP, though you'll get very little interest. See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5397588

But keep an eye on the March budget as tax relief on pensions could change significantly.
  • Now European Pension Management has gone bust I need a new administrator (ie cheap) any ideas please?
  • hogweed
    hogweed Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’m guessing this may be a silly question, and I’ve had a poke round here to see if anybody’s asked it already, but… I’m over 60, have £15k, which is just sitting in the bank, earning only a little interest.

Please don’t cringe too much if I’m being very naïve here, but my cousin tells me he has put his £10k into a SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown. He doesn't invest it in anything – just lets the cash lie there. Apparently, the government adds 20% in tax relief – so, for doing absolutely nothing, my cousin now has £12k.

Life not being like that, what’s the catch please, so that I can make fun of him suitably?

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    hogweed wrote: »
    I’m guessing this may be a silly question, and I’ve had a poke round here to see if anybody’s asked it already, but… I’m over 60, have £15k, which is just sitting in the bank, earning only a little interest.

Please don’t cringe too much if I’m being very naïve here, but my cousin tells me he has put his £10k into a SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown. He doesn't invest it in anything – just lets the cash lie there. Apparently, the government adds 20% in tax relief – so, for doing absolutely nothing, my cousin now has £12k.

Life not being like that, what’s the catch please, so that I can make fun of him suitably?

All fine, nothing wrong with that, fill your boots.

The limitation is your annual earnings, normally through work, so not including investment income, property rental or pension, or £3600 gross, whichever is the higher.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    hogweed wrote: »
    .... Please don’t cringe too much if I’m being very naïve here, but my cousin tells me he has put his £10k into a SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown. He doesn't invest it in anything – just lets the cash lie there. Apparently, the government adds 20% in tax relief – so, for doing absolutely nothing, my cousin now has £12k....

Tax relief is, surely, 25% because tax is 20%. So your cousin should have £12.5k.

(the £10k had already been taxed, at 20%, so the £10k is 80% of what he had before tax, so he had 12.5k gross, taxed at 20%. Which left him with 10k net. Tax relief takes it back to 12.5k, which is, in effect, 25% back, on the net amount)
  • I'm thinking of doing the same as the cousin for my wife. Is HL the best way to hold a sipp held in cash only? I think I read somewhere that if the funds are held in cash, then there are effectively no charges? Unfortunately I can't find a definitive reference to this.

Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure