Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 23rd Jan 17, 11:52 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik
    • 23rd Jan 17, 11:52 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik 23rd Jan 17 at 11:52 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Tonik

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-09-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Page 2
    • kfdub
    • By kfdub 29th Oct 17, 11:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kfdub
    Tonik Referral
    Hi All,
    I'm also considering switching to Tonik. Does anyone currently with them feel like sharing their referral offer (can't post links here, but it's a 20£ Amazon voucher each 30 days after I switched)?
    In this case just send me a PM .
    • Bmaninuk
    • By Bmaninuk 1st Nov 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bmaninuk
    Signed up for their fixed deal in on 6 Sept 17, supplied all info they requested and they confirmed that the DD was set up. At the end of Oct 17 after I called them to enquire if the switch had been made they requested my Mpan number which I provided by the next day. One day later I received an email stating that the tariff I signed up for was no longer available and they were searching for new tariff for me.

I have sent back an email demanding they honour our contract with no reply. Meanwhile I'm left on a very expensive British Gas variable rate.
    • SerialRenter
    • By SerialRenter 3rd Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    SerialRenter
    Sent you a PM kfdub. Anyone else thinking of switching feel free to send me a PM and i'll give you the referal code.

I've just finished switching to them, so far they seem ok, the switch was about the same as other companies, signed up on the 13th of October and had the first direct debit on the 3rd if November.
    I haven't tried their customer services yet, so i can't comment on that.
    *Assuming you're in England or Wales.
    • EricDeeson
    • By EricDeeson 9th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    EricDeeson
    Greetings, all, and thanks for your thoughts about switching to Tonik from someone who's just finished skimming I mean reading through the Ts&Cs!

Has anyone been entangled with T&C 18.1:
    "18.1 Tonik Energy is not a Green Deal Licensee under the Green Deal
    Arrangements Agreement. We are therefore prohibited from Supplying
    electricity to any Property that has a Green Deal in place. If this is the case You will be asked to contact another supplier which is a Green Deal Licensee for Your electricity Supply."

I wonder if this prohibits anyone joining Tonik if they have solar panels? We've had solar panels for three or four years and switched electricity and gas suppliers half a dozen or so times without coming across any such statement. (Having solar panels means the electricity supplier at the time of switch-on has to pay the home-owner for the energy generated, even if they switch to some other supplier.)

I've emailed Tonik to ask about this, but don't know how long they take to respond!

All the best, all, from snowy Birmingham (apparent home of Tonik too!) - Eric
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    Hengus
    Greetings, all, and thanks for your thoughts about switching to Tonik from someone who's just finished skimming I mean reading through the Ts&Cs!

Has anyone been entangled with T&C 18.1:
    "18.1 Tonik Energy is not a Green Deal Licensee under the Green Deal
    Arrangements Agreement. We are therefore prohibited from Supplying
    electricity to any Property that has a Green Deal in place. If this is the case You will be asked to contact another supplier which is a Green Deal Licensee for Your electricity Supply."

I wonder if this prohibits anyone joining Tonik if they have solar panels? We've had solar panels for three or four years and switched electricity and gas suppliers half a dozen or so times without coming across any such statement. (Having solar panels means the electricity supplier at the time of switch-on has to pay the home-owner for the energy generated, even if they switch to some other supplier.)

I've emailed Tonik to ask about this, but don't know how long they take to respond!

All the best, all, from snowy Birmingham (apparent home of Tonik too!) - Eric
    Originally posted by EricDeeson
    My understanding of what was once the Green Deal is that the ‘improvements’ were paid for out of the savings accrued via payments to the supplier. For example, buy a condensing boiler which reduces gas consumption by 20% leading to a saving of £100 per year. The £100 then be used to repay the Green Deal loan for the new boiler. I cannot see how having solar panels that are paid for by the consumer or via a Bank loan will be a bar to switching to Tonik.
    • EricDeeson
    • By EricDeeson 10th Dec 17, 3:58 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    EricDeeson
    Thanks, Hengus, very much. So I was right not to expect such a rapid response from Tonik....

Anyone have a different understanding, please?

Cheers - Eric
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    Hengus
    Thanks, Hengus, very much. So I was right not to expect such a rapid response from Tonik....

Anyone have a different understanding, please?

Cheers - Eric
    Originally posted by EricDeeson
    No problem. Bear in mind that your supply and generation contracts are separate. I switch frequently and no supplier has ever asked if I have PV Solar. EDF continues to pay my FIT payments.
    • brizzie
    • By brizzie 21st Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    brizzie
    I thought I had switched to Tonik with 6 weeks to go before being pushed onto a variable tariff. I had a reference number and the direct debit appeared on my bank account. But I kept getting emails from the existing supplier that made it clear they had no switching instructions. I rang Tonik to see what was happening - nothing it seems, no idea why, a back end glitch, they would investigate. Then silence for the best part of a week so I checked again and it seems they have no news and will get back to me when they have. So have cancelled the switch and started the process again with another supplier and with only 4 working days left. Pointless, useless company with employees who can't resolve issues, and I will doubtless be out of pocket due to not having a new tariff in place. Do yourselves a favour and stay clear.
    Last edited by brizzie; 21-12-2017 at 6:33 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 22nd Dec 17, 8:57 AM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    Hengus
    So have cancelled the switch and started the process again with another supplier and with only 4 working days left.
    Originally posted by brizzie
    I am not sure how this is in anyway relevant? Energy switches/transfers do not stop over Christmas and New Year. The process of initiating an energy transfer is now almost 100% automated. Yes, things can go wrong as there are many sub agencies involved so the failed transfer may not necessarily be the fault of your chosen supplier. That said, suppliers should have processes in place to monitor the transfer.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 22nd Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    nic_c
    Why was your old supplier emailing you. How long after switching did you contact them. Mind you they are a small organisation, I think, when I phoned up as BG had told me one supply was being switched but not the other they did confirm that requests for both had been sent. I contacted BG back who confirmed both will be switched. Your new switch will probably take another 3-4 weeks.
    • brizzie
    • By brizzie 22nd Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    brizzie
    I am not sure how this is in anyway relevant?
    It is relevant to me and my switch. The existing tariff ends on 31 December. With such a limited amount of time left it is reassuring to be able to call to check everything is OK and for a human to fix things if not. Suppliers should be monitoring transfers, yes, and their staff should be empowered to fix things when they go wrong. That isn't the case with Tonik. The failings are human so the assertion that almost 100% of energy transfers are automated is immaterial in this case. Either a human employed by the Tonik did not specify the need for an exceptions list to be built into their automated processes, or humans are not reading and dealing with the exceptions list. Suppose the problem was further down the line (outside Tonik) and another human at another supplier had to manually resolve it. I would need that human to be working. The number of working days left is relevant.

Why was your old supplier emailing you. How long after switching did you contact them.
    The old supplier was emailing me because I hadn't taken out a new contract with them and they had not had instructions to switch elsewhere. When I signed up with Tonik they said they would write to me in about 3 weeks when everything was sorted out. I gave them the 3 weeks and a couple more days as I was away on business before the first call and it is a little over a month now and they still had no answers and hadn't moved the switch one bit.The only thing they had successfully done is set up a direct debit to take the money.

Last night I switched (again) to ESB. This morning I had a welcome pack from ESB, an email from ExtraEnergy confirming they had received an instruction to switch, and a reassuring phone call with a human to confirm everything was running smoothly and there were no glitches in the switch application. All seems very promising so far.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 22nd Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    Hengus
    @brizzie I won’t copy and paste. If a consumer is on a fixed price tariff and the losing supplier is notified via industry procedures that a transfer has been initiated in the period ‘end of fixed contract plus 20 days’, then tariff price protection applies provided that the actual transfer goes ahead within a reasonable period of time. Even if the losing supplier transfers you to its variable tariff, a credit has to be made to your account.

A ‘reasonable period’ is not defined but as suppliers have 35 days from receipt of an application to switch to takeover a supply then this is a good starting point. It follows that you should have price protection up to 55 days after a tariff change date depending on when the losing supplier was notified of a transfer in progress.

Qn: on what date did you actually apply to switch suppliers?

Finally, it is worth pointing out that most of the smaller suppliers are little more than a person with a laptop and a few elves. For example, according to its annual report, Iresa with 70k+ customers had an average staff count of 18 in 2016. GBEnergy, when it went bust in 2016, had over a 150k customers and 25 staff.
    • brizzie
    • By brizzie 22nd Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    brizzie
    Hengus, I'm sorry, I was simply relaying an experience for the benefit of others rather than asking for assistance or information but I appreciate the time you have spent trying to help.

Thank you for sharing that information though, which I am sure will be useful to others, although it doesn't make me any happier with Tonik. I don't really want to mess about trying to reclaim tariff credits from the existing supplier. That isn't going to happen now because they have acknowledged the switch to another supplier (ESB) before my existing tariff expires, so I won't be moved to the variable one.

I always put a note in my Outlook diary for the exact earliest date from which I can initiate a move according to the wording in the contract. I am very experienced at switching energy suppliers and have done it every contract renewal since we were allowed to choose to go somewhere other than BG and Norweb (in my case). I've been with smaller players before, sometimes a positive experience, other times not so positive. Co-operative Energy was the worst I think, an absolute nightmare. Extra Energy have been good but their deal is not as competitive as it was a year ago.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 23rd Dec 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    nic_c
    I guess you get what you pay for, and maybe why the MSE CEC endorsed a big-6 as their deal because you would think larger organisations can cope better with problems, though not necessarily true. Yes you would hope that they have software in place to check progress and highlight exceptions where human intervention might be needed. I guess it depends how much expertise the new small companies have, or whether they have simply got a license and setting up a small call centre to deal with calls and relying on email and web to do the bulk of it.
    • syncline
    • By syncline 3rd Jan 18, 2:27 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    syncline
    Just a heads up about possible exit fees.

Not long before Christmas I tried to switch to Tonik Positively Green v5 Fixed.

When I had a look at their Terms and Conditions, I noticed that the terms implied to me that there is an exit fee (I don't have the wording to hand, unfortunately). This seemed in contradiction to what was suggested elsewhere (both on MSE and on Tonik's website I think? again I don't have those details to hand).

Though the details of the possible fee were unclear to me from the T&Cs, rather than chase that up, I ended up going with avroenergy.
    • Shortie87
    • By Shortie87 4th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shortie87
    I'm just in the process of switching to Tonik from First Utility, and thankfully, I've had none of the problems mentioned by some. My switch date is actually tomorrow, exactly 3 weeks after I initiated the switch, and I've had emails from both suppliers confirming that everything is going ahead as planned.

Tonik worked out as 1 of the best deals for me. Bulb would have been cheaper, but I didn't want to be on a variable tariff. Hopefully Tonik will stick around for a while, or at least the next 12 months! This is my first time moving away from the well known energy companies, but the price was just too good to miss, and the promise of 3% interest on credit balances, when I've been as much as £200 in credit with First Utility over the last 12 months!
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 12th Jan 18, 7:19 AM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    nic_c
    @syncline - the T&C talk about exit fee, is is £0 i.e. zero so no fee but I guess they have done that so that if a future tariff has one they don't need to amend T&C (at a guess, unless its simply generic T&C they are using)

@shortie87 my bill each month includes interest paid to me, i.e. they take the DD, it is used up that month and have a "live balance" and give you the interest the next statement. So I give my meter readings each month and so get monthly statements with interest paid for the money I had in credit
    • Bin_Boy
    • By Bin_Boy 17th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Bin_Boy
    Switched from SEE to Tonik in November, and it was a completely seemless experience. I like their website which was easy to use and the live balance feature was great. Also contacted their customer services a few times (sometimes just for general inane queries like what is your energy mix) and hey we’re alwags quick to respond, polite and helpful.

I’ve recently decided to switch supplier solely because of a better tariff and the need to budget a bit better and even on leaving I received a courteous good bye e-mail.

I think these are the little touches that make good customer service. Overall I’ve been really impressed, if it weren’t for the need to save money I would remain a customer and I would definitely recommend Tonik to others and use them again.
    Save £12k in 2012 no.34 £650/£12,000
    • laroc
    • By laroc 18th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    laroc
    Smart Meters
    Back in March 2017, I asked when Smart Meters were being fitted - informed the summer
    This is for my elderly father-in-law who is unable to read an analogue meter
    Summer asked again to be told the Autumn
    December 2018 asked again to be told commencing Jan 2018

Now I see on the web from the list of suppliers that are fitting Smart Meters, Tonik is not listed
    No problems with billing etc, but after waiting nearly 10 months its time to jump ship to someone who wont keep fobbing me off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,201Posts Today

9,563Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin