What warrants a negative feedback?

Comments

• JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 656
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I bought an item that got lost in the post and the seller said I had to leave 5 star feedback before they dealt with this. They were rude and unpleasant in their communications. They got negative feedback and I got another unpleasant message!
    That is the only negative I have left. Unfortunately I have now had 5 items not arrive from Ebay so would like to give the Royal Mail negative feedback :(
  • sportsarb wrote: »
    I can't think of too many reasons to leave a negative when I am the seller. I either don't leave it or leave a positive. I've not really had a bad buyer yet.
    sportsarb wrote: »
    As stated previously, as a seller I've never had a reason to fault a buyer yet
    But the thing is, as already mentioned by others, you can't leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers.
    Your only options are positive or nothing.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No it's not too much, but would you feel aggrieved if your prompt dispatch was delayed by the carrier and the tracking didn't update realtime (not many do).

Perhaps also your eBay dispatch notification was late (they can be incredibly unreliable) or worse still the buyer hadn't updated their email so the message didn't arrive in their inbox and they rarely log in, only to buy.

But, you hit the "3 and your out" [self imposed strike], so you get a neg.

I'm not actually that worried about my own ratings as a seller so negative feedback doesn't worry me too much. I do get satisfaction from hearing from a buyer that they received their item and they like/love it but if there is a problem, and there's only been the sniff of one on two sales, then I will deal with it.

If the fates conspire against me to the extent where I get a buyer who hasn't updated their details then so be it, if eBay are really at fault but I take the blame then so be it and if the courier is late then so be it (Incidentally this has only happened once, I communicated with the buyer, and I got a positive).

I don't sell for a living and I'm not part of any sellers club who rages when so one has the temerity to say their experience was negative.
  • sportsarb
    Forumite
    But the thing is, as already mentioned by others, you can't leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers.
    Your only options are positive or nothing.

I'm quite well aware of that though I don't think anyone did explicitly mention it. Only danced around it.

You can still have rationale for leaving a negative for a buyer even if the system prohibits it. You can also leave a false negative. Sure very few people will read it but it will still be there.
  • jeffuk
    jeffuk Posts: 602
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can also leave a false negative. Sure very few people will read it but it will still be there.

False negative comments can be removed.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    qsk wrote: »
    I only leave negative when there is clear evidence of scam, pay-day loan scam in particular.

What's a pay day loan scam?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I'm quite well aware of that though I don't think anyone did explicitly mention it. Only danced around it.

You can still have rationale for leaving a negative for a buyer even if the system prohibits it. You can also leave a false negative. Sure very few people will read it but it will still be there.

As you say virtually no seller will see it and it just rewards the buyer with a positive score. If reported it will be removed and the seller will get a warning on their dashboard for a plocy breach.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm not actually that worried about my own ratings as a seller so negative feedback doesn't worry me too much.

If you don't sell much then negative feedback should be doubly important. It is a defect. Defects are based on percentages of your total sales.
  • sportsarb
    Forumite
    If you don't sell much then negative feedback should be doubly important. It is a defect. Defects are based on percentages of your total sales.

I'll try to make this my last post in this thread, or at least in relation to my first post in this thread, as frankly I don't really need to justify anything. Using my own metric I think I've left one negative since signing up in 2003, if it's more than that then the number is two and no more.

Anyway, I'm sure it is an important factor for most of you people, and it's designed to be by eBay, I just simply don't worry about it. I have a full time job, eBay is a small sideline to that, if something were to happen that stopped people wanting to buy from me then I'd simply adjust my own purchases to offset and think no more about it.

So although this has seemingly been made into an issue, I've left one negative in 13 years and one person (Terrible seller with no communication skills) left me a false positive after I complained that they took two weeks to dispatch despite saying they would dispatch within two days.

It's really not caused that many issues to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure