Southeastern trains penalty

Hi All,

Can some advise regarding penalty charge on Southeasters trains.
Short story,
My brother boarded train using Oyster but lost it on train and was stopped on way out. He explained what happen and they let him out.
Letter was send to Southeastern explaining what happen. Southeastern send a letter back asking to pay £5.30, which is fare, and plus a contribution £135? I never seen penalties high like this.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments

• elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    Suggest you post this on https://www.railforums.co.uk.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Can your brother produce his Oyster journey history showing the uncompleted Oyster journey? It might help in mitigation, otherwise I have to say, the RPIs have heard it all before. All they met was a passenger without a valid ticket and a story much the same as any other fare dodger. £135 is their fee for administration of the process. It is not a penalty fare or any such thing. Failing to pay this fee and of course the unpaid fare can only result in things getting both worse (e.g. prosecution) and more expensive (fines, court fees, legal fees etc.)
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Laisvune wrote: »
    Hi All,

Can some advise regarding penalty charge on Southeasters trains.
    Short story,
    My brother boarded train using Oyster but lost it on train and was stopped on way out. He explained what happen and they let him out.
    Letter was send to Southeastern explaining what happen. Southeastern send a letter back asking to pay £5.30, which is fare, and plus a contribution £135? I never seen penalties high like this.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Your brother was reported rather than given a Penalty Fare, which I believe is the charge you're referring to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure