Class action against Unite Union

Yet another round of strikes from Unite Union, a deliberate act to cause havoc for the public trying to get to work, costing us all time and money.

I'm fed up and want to take 'action' (action is doing something, anything. Whereas strike is literally the opposite, doing nothing, but they still refer to it as industrial action) against the people who deliberately cause havoc every time they don't like something they hear. Actively encouraging financial attacks on the people of the UK, causing millions if not billions in additional costs over the past couple of years.

The impact of strike actions isn't just a delay getting to work, it's the extra few thousand cars on the road, causing pollution and costing people extra in fuel. It's the little charges you don't initially think of, for example the usually free car park at the train station near me have all been closed as replacement busses have to turn in there, meaning the 80 people that can normally park in there all have to pay £7.50 to park. I know of someone who was on a final warning at work for being late who is now terrified she'll lose her job because the strikes have made her late. It's ridiculous and the company responsible for it is Unite Union, they arrange the strikes and car only about themselves, there is no negative repercussions for them as a result of them not doing the job they are contractually obligated to do.

Class actions cases can now be taken where huge numbers have been impacted. It's easy to prove that Unit knew what impact their latest round of strikes would have, as that's why they did it. I would like to see every person financially impacted join together (unite, if you will) and hit the union bosses where it hurts, in their very fat wallets.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,153 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would suggest that you pm the BG on here and ask for this to be moved as this doesn't seem to be the most appropriate board for your post. Perhaps the 'campaign' board might be more appropriate.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    KEV25 wrote: »
    Yet another round of strikes from Unite Union, a deliberate act to cause havoc for the public trying to get to work, costing us all time and money.

I'm fed up and want to take 'action' (action is doing something, anything. Whereas strike is literally the opposite, doing nothing, but they still refer to it as industrial action) against the people who deliberately cause havoc every time they don't like something they hear. Actively encouraging financial attacks on the people of the UK, causing millions if not billions in additional costs over the past couple of years.

The impact of strike actions isn't just a delay getting to work, it's the extra few thousand cars on the road, causing pollution and costing people extra in fuel. It's the little charges you don't initially think of, for example the usually free car park at the train station near me have all been closed as replacement busses have to turn in there, meaning the 80 people that can normally park in there all have to pay £7.50 to park. I know of someone who was on a final warning at work for being late who is now terrified she'll lose her job because the strikes have made her late. It's ridiculous and the company responsible for it is Unite Union, they arrange the strikes and car only about themselves, there is no negative repercussions for them as a result of them not doing the job they are contractually obligated to do.

Class actions cases can now be taken where huge numbers have been impacted. It's easy to prove that Unit knew what impact their latest round of strikes would have, as that's why they did it. I would like to see every person financially impacted join together (unite, if you will) and hit the union bosses where it hurts, in their very fat wallets.

Ye, except where's your contract?........
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 October 2017 at 11:06AM
    What would be the legal basis for your action? TUs have immunity carrying out industrial action otherwise employers would already be suing them for inducing breaches of contract.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    would be interesting to know why you think Unite is responsible for the rail disruption caused by the RMT?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england

or do you mean a different set of strikes?
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/?page=1
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So you think it's OK for large corporations to walk all over their employees without any consequence?
  • bris wrote: »
    So you think it's OK for large corporations to walk all over their employees without any consequence?

Yes he does, plus, he's not in a union. Well I hope he's not in a union...
  • Hopefully the OP was looking for a rant rather than actually carrying out any action, which would be extremely difficult. When one person is accusing someone/something else of selfishness, I always wonder if they have heard the 'pot kettle black' saying. Does the OP know anything about why the strike has been called, do they not realise that these people must feel very strongly to lose wages to make their point?

Having worked for several employers who ride rough shod over employees I very much regret the lack of power Unions have, inspite of having lived through the days when it seemed like every week we had days without electricity, bread etc. That was getting stupid, but now, its not the same situation.
  • KEV25
    KEV25 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Ye, except where's your contract?........

I don't have one, but then you don't need one to sue someone... That's the whole point of the post, people who use public transport are being negatively impacted by a organisation that they have no relationship with. Would you let a company park their delivery van in front of your house every day, preventing you from getting to work? I assume you'd have to, as there's nothing you could do... you have no contract with them ;)
  • KEV25
    What would be the legal basis for your action? TUs have immunity carrying out industrial action otherwise employers would already be suing them for inducing breaches of contract.

Immunity is with their employer and employee, not with the individuals that are actually impacted. It prevents companies from sacking or negatively treating people who take industrial action. It does not cover the negative impact on 3rd parties. The legal basis is what would have to be decided which is why I posted the question, it doesn't seem right that a group or organisation can knowingly and willingly, negatively impact another group of people for the purposes of their own gain, which is exactly what industrial action is. It hurts their employer by hurting their customers.

Companies have a legal obligation to pay employees when they take a day or two off work (strike) but who covers the other costs? Why should a rail company pay for my taxi because their staff all took the day off? Why should a person go overdrawn because a cheque was not delivered because the mail delivery company were on strike? Why should a parent lose a days pay because they had to take a day off because their nursery went on strike?
  • KEV25
    bris wrote: »

Many things wrong with this statement:

- First of all, the implication that only employees of large companies strike, this is wrong, or are you stating that only certain groups of people can strike and one of those criteria is that they work for a 'large company'? Define 'large'.

- Second, 'Walk all over' implies that there is a wrong and right party in contract negotiations, which there isn't. But say there was, strike action is part of the contract negotiation process, and so by definition, as the outcome has not yet been reached, you cannot assume either party is yet right or wrong.

- Third, 'without any consequences'. Why should the public, who have nothing to do with the person striking, receive the negative consequences of the industrial actions? Would it be ok if, instead of sentencing repeat offenders to prison, they jailed their loved ones? It would probably have a bigger impact if they loved them... But is obviously a stupid idea, but that's the idea you're implying. Negatively impact a 3rd party to get at your enemy...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure