Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    New house new diary! Sounds like you are settling in well! ( Trips to the local always good for that! :beer:)
    Shall subscribe to keep up with your Shire adventures!
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 September 2023 at 3:57PM
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    You're sounding quite settled already, which is lovely to read :) Glad you managed to salvage the sign :)
    x

It is feeling more like home now GreenT. Still a lot to do but it feels as though we've broken the back of it.
    It is so lovely to think that after all the planning and waiting you are finally there. Brilliant. I wish you every happiness in The Shires :)

Thank you DIA. I can't quite believe we did it - and I wouldn't want to do it again :rotfl:
    New house new diary! Sounds like you are settling in well! ( Trips to the local always good for that! :beer:)
    Shall subscribe to keep up with your Shire adventures!

Hi there TheYoungOne. Thanks for joining me. Can't wait until we're straight and can go exploring.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Our Vendor and his wife invited us over for a BBQ last night. They are a lovely couple and have given us some great advice about the area. We took some beer and wine from stores and I made a pudding to contribute. The pudding was tasty but not very pretty as I'm still getting used to my new oven :rotfl:

We're pacing ourselves with sorting things out now. The first week was exhausting and, now we can live relatively easily, we can give ourselves a break and slow down a little. Mr F did some drilling and fixing so a few more items are in their proper place and off the floor. I cleaned the utility area so the freezer is in place and ready for use. The new fridge should arrive this week - another necessary purchase as our old one was integrated and had to stay.

Today I'm planning to continue sorting out the landing area. Mr F may not be happy though as I think the furniture is in the wrong place :o

I've ordered a new post box. We don't have a letterbox and, although, there is a post box fixed to the fence, the last owner lost the keys and had to force the lock. The door is held in place with a piece of loose cardboard :rotfl: So not secure and the door swung open in the heavy rain and our letters got soaked.

Our H£rm£$ courier is getting closer to the house. The last parcels were dumped over the fence and onto the drive. In the torrential rain :eek: The boxes got so wet they disintegrated :eek: Luckily the contents survived although we discovered that one of the boxes wasn't for us at all :eek: I contacted the supplier and they said to keep everything as compensation :D £50's worth :T I will list some things on FB and take the rest to charity.

Have a great Sunday all

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations on your move Fortune, it all sounds wonderful and great that you have already made new friends. Wishing you every happiness in your new home x
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounds like a sensible gesture by My Hermes...they need to sort their couriers out tho!!

Glad you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel :) x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Glad you're getting sorted, and how lovely of your vendors to invite you over. You'll soon be straight. Nice that you can keep the stuff, you do wonder people's logic though, what did they think was going to happen in the rain ☔️
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    I was following your other diaries so I'm actually delurking now to say, welcome to Shropshire :) I've been here 18 years now, although I'm about to move back to my home county. I shall miss it here though, it is lovely. Happy exploring :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your move Fortune, it all sounds wonderful and great that you have already made new friends. Wishing you every happiness in your new home x

Thanks Busy Mee. Everyone we've met here so far has been lovely.
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Sounds like a sensible gesture by My Hermes...they need to sort their couriers out tho!!

Glad you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel :) x

It was Lak£land Brizzle. Very generous of them.
    Glad you're getting sorted, and how lovely of your vendors to invite you over. You'll soon be straight. Nice that you can keep the stuff, you do wonder people's logic though, what did they think was going to happen in the rain ☔️

Our courier hasn't been able to get to us on the scheduled delivery date for any of our parcels so far. I suspect they are taking on too much Purp.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Orange_Ena wrote: »
    I was following your other diaries so I'm actually delurking now to say, welcome to Shropshire :) I've been here 18 years now, although I'm about to move back to my home county. I shall miss it here though, it is lovely. Happy exploring :)

Hi Orange Ena. Lovely to hear from you. I can see why you love it. I think we will too.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Mr F has been putting things up all day. He'll be back at work on Thursday so I thought I'd better put him to work before I lose my handyman :rotfl:

Lots of things are now in the proper place and it's nice to see some pictures up on the walls. It makes such a difference.

Another three boxes were emptied today. All containing alcohol :o

I signed up for on-line banking with the mortgage company this morning and paid off the arrangement fee :T I'm very excited about being able to check the balance on line as I couldn't do this with our last lender.

Had a wander around the vegetable garden and discovered lots of produce that needs eating up or freezing. Good job the freezer is now in place. It just needs a quick clean and turning on.

I'm intending to tackle a guest bedroom tomorrow.

Sleep tight all

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback