Can you use coupons even when you don't buy the product its for?

Hi,

I used to work in ASDA a long time ago (15 years or so), and I remember that we would accept coupons for any item as long as ASDA sold it, irrespective of whether the customer actually bought the item. This was official store policy rather than just staff who couldn't be bothered to check.

Does anyone know if this is still the case with any supermarkets? I assume it isn't, but I have a load of coupons for items I am probably not going to buy, do didn't want to chuck them if I could still use them.

Thanks

Rachel

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think most supermarket chains have now clamped down even to the extent of refusing to take some coupons even though the item is in the basket
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You could use them on self scan ( though only a couple at a time - so not to flag suspicion )
  • Rarchy
    Rarchy Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies. I might try the self service then!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    A properly programmed self-service till should reject any coupons that don't match the items that have been just scanned.

Given that both Boots and Sainsbury have been known to reject a valid coupon from me - I'd say they have tightened up as unforeseen says.

Maybe try a small chain?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    NBLondon wrote: »
    A properly programmed self-service till should reject any coupons that don't match the items that have been just scanned.

Given that both Boots and Sainsbury have been known to reject a valid coupon from me - I'd say they have tightened up as unforeseen says.

Maybe try a small chain?

There is nothing in the barcode to identify the product ?

The standard layout for a coupon barcode is
    first 6 character - issuer number
    next 3 - coupon reference number
    next 3 redemption value ( in pence)
    final character - check digit

so the only thing that matches the coupon to the product is the "coupon reference number" which is set by the issuer and not known to the supermarket as to what it represents.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Maybe try a small chain?

Maybe stop trying to pull a fast one?

Using a voucher for something you've not purchased is fraud. I doubt any retailer will call the police over a single incident, but nonetheless it is a criminal offence. And a pretty scummy thing to do.
  • manorf
    manorf Posts: 82 Forumite
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Maybe stop trying to pull a fast one?

Using a voucher for something you've not purchased is fraud. I doubt any retailer will call the police over a single incident, but nonetheless it is a criminal offence. And a pretty scummy thing to do.

It isn't fraud or any sort of offence at all - so long as you do not try to misrepresent the situation and do not claim to have bought the product. Many small shops will take a few vouchers when you've not bought the product and some branches of the multiples will usually take a few too - Sainsburys in easiest though Asda will at the moment only take what you buy.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Store policies vary - so if in doubt, ask.

You'd be stunned how much more help and cooperation you get with a smile as well.

Happy shopping!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport