IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MyParkingCharge.co.uk

Comments

• jam1991
    jam1991 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone have any feedback for my Draft #2 please?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    jam1991 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any feedback for my Draft #2 please?

It was all going along OK, until I saw this:
    As you will be aware (or Wright Hassall can explain to you),
    Excel don't deal with Wright Hassall. I then realised that this seems to have been blindly copied and pasted with Excel being substituted probably via 'Find and Replace'.

I also made the assumption that as you were quoting long and hard from the CPR and PD, that you had checked the various paragraphs out (even cursorily) and they are relevant to your case.

In regard to this:
    Since you have no cause of action against me as registered keeper, should you proceed with a claim I will file a counter-claim for not less than £500 in compensation for distress caused by your unwarranted demands arising from misuse of the data you obtained from the DVLA for one purpose, yet are now processing it for another purpose not covered by the KADOE regulations.
    If you're going to threaten, you need to be prepared and ready to carry it out.

In general terms, it looks ok - but I'm not confirming that the CPR and PD references are the correct ones (I'm not legally trained). But the glaring issue is the reference to Wright Hassall. Remember - this is your response to a Solicitor. You cannot just go feeding them any old guff without thoroughly checking what you are saying is correct - because you can be sure that they will know if it's correct, because that's their day job and will have dealt with hundreds of cases in the contexts of the CPR and the PD.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • jam1991
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    It was all going along OK, until I saw this:

Excel don't deal with Wright Hassall. I then realised that this seems to have been blindly copied and pasted with Excel being substituted probably via 'Find and Replace'.

I also made the assumption that as you were quoting long and hard from the CPR and PD, that you had checked the various paragraphs out (even cursorily) and they are relevant to your case.

In regard to this:

If you're going to threaten, you need to be prepared and ready to carry it out.

In general terms, it looks ok - but I'm not confirming that the CPR and PD references are the correct ones (I'm not legally trained). But the glaring issue is the reference to Wright Hassall. Remember - this is your response to a Solicitor. You cannot just go feeding them any old guff without thoroughly checking what you are saying is correct - because you can be sure that they will know if it's correct, because that's their day job and will have dealt with hundreds of cases in the contexts of the CPR and the PD.

Thank you again for the feedback, I shall adjust accordingly.

Am I best posting or emailing my response?
  • jam1991
    Really need to send something back today given I've just found out I'm 3 days over the 14 day period.

Appreciate any further feedback or comments I should be including.

TIA
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    What 14 day period?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • jam1991
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    What 14 day period?

Someone over on Pepipoo advised me that I'm 3 days over a 14 day period to provide a response to the letter I received. Is this incorrect advice?
  • 14 days is the period proposed for responding to a simple letter of claim in the section of the CPR dealing with pre-action conduct. You can take longer if required there are issues of complexity.

+1 from Umkomaas - if you are going to cite the CPR, may I invite you to read the rules to which you refer or which you may want to refer to in the future if the case gets started. The rules are not (totally) inaccessible - https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules
    I remind you of the overriding objective and - if your company really has a 'Legal Department' - then the qualified staff member will recognise that Excel Parking Services Ltd has no cause of action in law, but that I do.
    Does the above nonsense actually add anything to your response?

Isn't it simpler to simply say you've provided no evidence, there is no loss, no breach of contract and therefore any proposed claim is unlikely to succeed? Most of the rest is waffle. By all means advise them of an intention to pursue a DPA counter-claim if they have wrongly obtained your data, but that's all that needs to be said.
  • jam1991
    Cut out the points raised, much appreciated. I have cut the references, as I do not understand and confused by the inclusion given I started my response from a drafted previously used template.

Is the below Draft #3 acceptable?

What are the chances this PCN is cancelled given I actually have a valid parking ticket?
    Getting very stressed out about this now, wishing I'd paid the £60 fee in the first place.

Dear Excel Parking Services Ltd,

Re: Your Letter before Claim re PCN xxxxxxxx

This is a formal response to your 'Notice of Intended Court Proceedings'. You have failed to supply any photographs or evidence of the driver, nor even the 'contract' (in this case presumably a sign), nor have you set out clearly, the basis upon which you are attempting to hold me liable. Therefore any proposed claim is unlikely to succeed.

The driver's identity will not be supplied to a company like yours. There is no dispute that the driver was entitled to drive the car and I can confirm that they were. As the keeper of the vehicle, it is my right to choose not to name the driver, yet still not be lawfully held liable if an operator is not using or complying with Schedule 4.

Should you seek to proceed with a claim I will apply for it to be struck out, due to CPR Part 3.4:

(a) that Excel Parking Services statement of case will disclose no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim;
    (b) that the statement of case will be an abuse of the court’s process or is otherwise likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings; and
    (c) that there has been a failure to comply with a rule, practice direction or court order.

Breaches of the Pre-action Practice Direction (“the PD”):

Paras 3, 8 and 12 of the PD set out its purpose, which is to primarily to avoid litigation (para 8) by laying down a procedure which allows the parties to:
    - understand each other’s positions (para 3)
    - make decisions about how to proceed (para 3)
    - explore settlement/consider ADR (para 3)
    - support the “efficient management” of any proceedings and reduce costs (para 3)
    - “stocktake” and review their respective positions after following the PD by exchanging information, to see if proceedings can be avoided and to “at least” narrow the issues (para 12).

Paras 6(a) & (c) oblige a Claimant to enter into a meaningful dialogue with a Defendant at an early stage by imposing specific obligations to:
    - explain the claim in a Letter before Claim, and
    - provide relevant core documents.

I will also submit that you have hereby been informed by this letter, that a valid parking ticket was purchased on the day the PCN was issued. This was evidenced in my previous appeal correspondence and I re-enclose a copy of the valid ticket once more.

I expect Excel Parking Services Ltd. to now cancel this 'parking charge' and admit its mistake in attempting to misuse my data, and in trying to mislead me by suggesting that a registered keeper is liable for a non-POFA parking charge 'debt', and that I could be liable for escalated costs/legal fees.

However, in support of my own counter-claim, I must remind you that under CPR Rule 27.14(2)(g):

''costs can be awarded where a party behaves unreasonably''.

I refer Excel Parking Services to paragraph 16 of the Practice Direction – Pre-Action Conduct:
    ''a party who has not complied with its pre-action obligations can be ordered to pay costs (even if the party has succeeded in its claim/defence) and there is also a power to remit/increase interest.''

I expect to hear from you within 14 days to confirm that the charge is cancelled. Should you fail to cancel this PCN and/or pursue a baseless claim without supplying any evidence of any breach of a relevant contract or relevant obligation, or photographs, or the contract, or your basis for pursuing a registered keeper outwith the POFA 2012, you may consider this adequate notice of my intention to sue Excel Parking Services Ltd, for the significant distress your actions have caused.

I reserve the right to include your client (landowner/agent) in any claim made, since that party remains jointly and severally liable for the conduct of its agents on their land.
    All letters exchanged will be used in evidence in court.

Yours faithfully,
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    What are the chances this PCN is cancelled given I actually have a valid parking ticket?

Practically no chance, because they know you are intimidated and they milk that weakness. You will win this in court, and your response is merely to look reasonable and to show that you are not a pushover.

No-one here supports your view of wishing you had paid £60, that's just a defeatist attitude!

We win cases, no worries, send that then come back when the claim arrives and stay calm, the winning experience has been described as ''ace'' by a lady who reported back.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jam1991
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Practically no chance, because they know you are intimidated and they milk that weakness. You will win this in court, and your response is merely to look reasonable and to show that you are not a pushover.

No-one here supports your view of wishing you had paid £60, that's just a defeatist attitude!

We win cases, no worries, send that then come back when the claim arrives and stay calm, the winning experience has been described as ''ace'' by a lady who reported back.

Thank you Coupon-Mad, I genuinely don't have a defeatist attitude. Just inexperienced with matters like this, and do my best with the IT/English skills I have. I'll submit to them via email today and be back when they respond.

I never formally received a NTK, is this something I should include in this reply also?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure